Fatdog64-600 alpha2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

Re: Latest Wine Version

#121 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Your suggestion to rebuild the Wine pet by changing /usr/lib to /usr/lib64 did not prevent Package Manager from breaking. It did work initially after the Wine installation, but after a reboot Package Manager is broken. :( However, nothing other than Package Manager appears to be broken and as you can see from the attached desktop, I have NVIDIA driver, xfe, Bibletime, and three Windows programs BibleAnalyzer, e-Sword, and theWord all running fine at the same time. :D I guess if I want to use Windows programs for the time being, I'll have to do without the Package Manager.

Thanks,
Jim
Try as I might, I could not make the package manager fail by installing the wine pet (even before renaming /usr/lib to /usr/lib64) - but then I'm running the latest build with all the fixes, so there may be a difference there.

Anyway, I'm uploading wine-1.5.4 SFS (courtesy of green_dome compile) to the repo now (not yet finished). You know it's finished when the accompanying md5sum.txt file is there too. You still need to use the old 32-bit libs, of course.

For the 32-bit libs, I remember in addition to standard Wary, I needed to add libSDL and other stuff. I haven't explorer 32-bit puppies so far, so which ones comes with the largest set of libraries? I want to avoid adding libs manually unless I really have to. Or may be they are all similar because all are based on Woof?

cheers!
Your sfs breaks the Package Manager on my hardware also. We'll see what happens when the next build is released because it's working for you.

Cheers,
Jim

Billtoo

#122 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote:Bill, please post the config.log of the failed configure phase of xfe. Btw xfe is already in the repo - you don't have to compile it unless you want to customise your own build, of course. You need FOX toolkit to build xfe (also already in repo).
I installed xfe-1.32.4 from the repo, I had already compiled fox-1.6.45 so I didn't need that.
I tried compiling xfe-1.32.5 in fatdog 521 and got the same result as fatdog 600a2, fox-1.6.45 compiled okay but xfe-1.32.5 gave the error and wouldn't compile.
I have compiled xfe-1.32.5 in slacko and lupu in the past few days without a problem.

jamesbond

Re: Latest Wine Version

#123 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:Your sfs breaks the Package Manager on my hardware also. We'll see what happens when the next build is released because it's working for you.
I have a feeling the breakage is not caused by wine. Package Manager reads /root/.packages/Packages-puppy-fd64-offical and /root/.packages/user-installed-packages at startup, any breakages may be related to them. The first one is the one from package repo, you can always re-download the file manually and put it in the correct location. The second one list all packages you have installed. Do you mind sending these files to me via PM, for the system which is broken? I want to know why it is failing and whether I can make the Package Manager more robust.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#124 Post by jamesbond »

Billtoo wrote:I installed xfe-1.32.4 from the repo, I had already compiled fox-1.6.45 so I didn't need that.
I tried compiling xfe-1.32.5 in fatdog 521 and got the same result as fatdog 600a2, fox-1.6.45 compiled okay but xfe-1.32.5 gave the error and wouldn't compile.
I have compiled xfe-1.32.5 in slacko and lupu in the past few days without a problem.
They move very quickly don't they :D 1.32.4 was the latest when I compiled it (which is only a few days ago ...). I'll try compiling 1.32.5 and see what goes ...

EDIT: I must have been dreaming, I was pretty sure I got the latest version when I compiled xfe, and now I see that 1.32.4 is a few months old :shock:
EDIT: I wasn't dreaming, it's just the sourceforge.net offer on the first page is not the latest version :(
EDIT: This is how my configure line looks like:

Code: Select all

CFLAGS="-L/usr/X11R7/lib64" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/X11R7/lib64" ./configure --prefix /usr --libdir /usr/lib64 --sysconfdir /etc --localstatedir /var --enable-release
EDIT: if you open config.log, you will see that gcc complains that it cannot find -lX11. That's why we need to provide the above CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to configure, telling it where to find libX11
EDIT: Uploading 1.32.5 and removing 1.32.4 from the repo.
Last edited by jamesbond on Wed 23 May 2012, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

smokey01

#125 Post by smokey01 »

jamesbond wrote: Can't test that because I don't have that movie, but all the movies I throw to VLC plays so far ...
VLC is my preferred multimedia player. It may be bigger than some but it works more often than the rest.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600 alpha2

#126 Post by Billtoo »

Cmus is a small music player, the number keys 1-7 let you navigate to
the different screens which include keyboard commands etc.

Compiled and tested in fatdog600a2

The following link is a guide to using cmus:

http://www.tuxarena.com/static/cmus_guide.php#features
Attachments
cmus-v2.4.3-x86_64.pet
(144.33 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
cmus_DOC-v2.4.3-x86_64.pet
(15.93 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
cmus_scrn.jpg
(163.88 KiB) Downloaded 634 times

jamesbond

Re: Fatdog64-600 alpha2

#127 Post by jamesbond »

Billtoo wrote:Cmus is a small music player, the number keys 1-7 let you navigate to
the different screens which include keyboard commands etc.

Compiled and tested in fatdog600a2

The following link is a guide to using cmus:

http://www.tuxarena.com/static/cmus_guide.php#features
Thanks Billtoo, this is now in the repo.

cheers!

mikeslr

Wine and Puppy Base for 32-bit libs

#128 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Kirk, Jamesbond & Jim1911,

Jim, regarding the problem you are having with wine, my first thought was perhaps to unpack a wine pet or sfs and turn it into a "program folder" then create a symlink from wine's executable to run it. [Caution: I haven't tried this myself. Just "Brainstorming."] The folder would be on mnt/home and the symlink might be to /Startup. If that's not in "the path" perhaps a second symlink would be needed. Frankly, most of the wine menu items are irrelevant. The entire wine package usually installs to /,wine which folder can just be deleted. Only cabextract is needed for Rox to handle program "installations," and portable xp apps run without being installed. [Using such porables, I create a pet, as below, to obtain a menu listing]. Like an sfs, a "program folder" can be used by multiple Pups. What I usually do with "program folders" --such as "running opera from /mnt/home", following DaveS' lead, is create a pet which has a symlink in /my-applications/bin to the executable (or /usr/bin if that symlink didn't work), an icon (can be in /usr/share/pixmaps) and a desktop file in /usr/share/applications tying the two together and creating a menu entry; then create a pet so I don't have to repeat things the next time.
But then it occurred to me that someone at PortableLinuxApps,org may have already done something like the above. Not all their portables work in puppy. But you might try: http://portablelinuxapps.org/forum/view ... 650ac#p869. Just download and unpack the zip, make it executable. See also, the comments before and after the above link.

Jamesbond, you might consider basing 32-bit libs on Saluki. Although Saluki, itself, is based on Racy, I'm not sure how far it's diverged. But jemimah has been a very busy and creative "bee." I believe that there are currently more pets available in Saluki than any other Pup. And, like Fatdog64, Saluki is a T2 build so it may be more compatible. Additionally, in structuring Saluki, jemimah separated "core" apps and libraries from directly useful apps thereby rationalizing both the creation and hunting-for-libs processes. You might also want to look at the "build system" she developed, as it performs "dependency checks." Sorry, the Saluki thread has grown to over two hundred pages. But a "Well minded" search of "Saluki custom builder" should reduce it to a manageable few. And I'm certain that an email to jemimah would elicit a helpful response.

mikesLr

Jim1911

Re: Wine and Puppy Base for 32-bit libs

#129 Post by Jim1911 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Kirk, Jamesbond & Jim1911,

Jim, regarding the problem you are having with wine, my first thought was perhaps to unpack a wine pet or sfs and turn it into a "program folder" then create a symlink from wine's executable to run it. [Caution: I haven't tried this myself. Just "Brainstorming."] The folder would be on mnt/home and the symlink might be to /Startup. If that's not in "the path" perhaps a second symlink would be needed. Frankly, most of the wine menu items are irrelevant. The entire wine package usually installs to /,wine which folder can just be deleted. Only cabextract is needed for Rox to handle program "installations," and portable xp apps run without being installed. [Using such porables, I create a pet, as below, to obtain a menu listing]. Like an sfs, a "program folder" can be used by multiple Pups. What I usually do with "program folders" --such as "running opera from /mnt/home", following DaveS' lead, is create a pet which has a symlink in /my-applications/bin to the executable (or /usr/bin if that symlink didn't work), an icon (can be in /usr/share/pixmaps) and a desktop file in /usr/share/applications tying the two together and creating a menu entry; then create a pet so I don't have to repeat things the next time.
But then it occurred to me that someone at PortableLinuxApps,org may have already done something like the above. Not all their portables work in puppy. But you might try: http://portablelinuxapps.org/forum/view ... 650ac#p869. Just download and unpack the zip, make it executable. See also, the comments before and after the above link.

Jamesbond, you might consider basing 32-bit libs on Saluki. Although Saluki, itself, is based on Racy, I'm not sure how far it's diverged. But jemimah has been a very busy and creative "bee." I believe that there are currently more pets available in Saluki than any other Pup. And, like Fatdog64, Saluki is a T2 build so it may be more compatible. Additionally, in structuring Saluki, jemimah separated "core" apps and libraries from directly useful apps thereby rationalizing both the creation and hunting-for-libs processes. You might also want to look at the "build system" she developed, as it performs "dependency checks." Sorry, the Saluki thread has grown to over two hundred pages. But a "Well minded" search of "Saluki custom builder" should reduce it to a manageable few. And I'm certain that an email to jemimah would elicit a helpful response.

mikesLr
Thanks Mike, I've been keeping Wine in /mnt/home and symlinking for years, that way it's easily available to any distribution. Thanks for the tip, I already know from experience that it works. Other may want to try it.

gcmartin

This may have already been addressed somewhere

#130 Post by gcmartin »

Booted Live media FATDOG6.0a2. During testing, I installed several packages. And made some personal changes to subdirectories in /root folder.

FATDOG Remaster tool is rather expressive and straight forward.
Ran the remaster tool. It created a "pristine" system that did NOT have the session changes made. Local changes thus far do NOT exist in Remaster,

Pburn the Remaster ISO
When I ran Pburn, it took the 231MB ISO and began writing 4.6GB file to the DVDRW??? Pburn utilmately failed because 4.6GB does not fit 4.5GB DVDRW.

Reboot FATDOG
System booted Live media, but save-session back to Live media does NOT exist as an option.

Hope this helps

Jim1911

Installation on Dell Inspiron Laptop

#131 Post by Jim1911 »

Boot was fine, and it does not have the problems with desk icons, pmount, and save file creation that I reported with my desktop computer. Those functions are very speedy. :D

I've deferred further testing on the laptop because I cannot connect to the internet. Pwireless detects my wifi connection, but will not connect even when all the correct parameters are entered. I prefer Frisbee because it detects and enters most parameters and does an excellent job maintaining the connection.

Cheers,
Jim

Equipment: Dell Inspiron Laptop, Intel(R) i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 GHz, MESA DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

kirk

#132 Post by kirk »

Pwireless detects my wifi connection, but will not connect even when all the correct parameters are entered. I prefer Frisbee because it detects and enters most parameters and does an excellent job maintaining the connection.
Have you tried Wpa_Gui that's in the tray?

Jim1911

#133 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:
Pwireless detects my wifi connection, but will not connect even when all the correct parameters are entered. I prefer Frisbee because it detects and enters most parameters and does an excellent job maintaining the connection.
Yes, it did not work either.

jamesbond

Re: This may have already been addressed somewhere

#134 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:FATDOG Remaster tool is rather expressive and straight forward.
Ran the remaster tool. It created a "pristine" system that did NOT have the session changes made. Local changes thus far do NOT exist in Remaster
Sorry I don't get what you mean - so did the remaster tool work or didn't work for you?

EDIT: I just tested - all my changes are saved in the remaster. What I should probably do is to add options to edit isolinux.cfg before the remaster ISO is created.
Pburn the Remaster ISO
When I ran Pburn, it took the 231MB ISO and began writing 4.6GB file to the DVDRW??? Pburn utilmately failed because 4.6GB does not fit 4.5GB DVDRW.
I haven't tested it. Pburn was recently updated, it is (was) the latest Pburn (before Zigbert released 3.6.0).

EDIT: I just tested, burning the remaster.iso to my DVD+RW. It works.
EDIT: Well it works and it doesn't - if your DVD+RW is not empty, pburn will attempt to append a session to it. Which doesn't work. This is really a pburn bug and should be highlighted to Zigbert.
EDIT: I have reported this to Zigbert.
Reboot FATDOG
System booted Live media, but save-session back to Live media does NOT exist as an option.
Please refer to second post in the first thread :)

cheers!

kirk

#135 Post by kirk »

Jim can you attach your /var/log/messages to a post? The forum might only allow compressed attachments. To compress it open a terminal and type:

# gzip /var/log/messages
Then attach it.

Thanks

Jim1911

#136 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:
Jim can you attach your /var/log/messages to a post? The forum might only allow compressed attachments. To compress it open a terminal and type:

# gzip /var/log/messages
Then attach it.

Thanks
Attached, the problem could be that I just don't know what I should be entering using the Wpa_Gui. I believe that I do have the correct entries for Pwireless.

Thanks,
Jim
Attachments
messages.gz
(12.62 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

kirk

#137 Post by kirk »

Jim,

It looks like your wireless is trying to connect to a open network. Wpa_gui is setup to automatically connect to what it thinks is the best open network. Sometimes the wifi driver doesn't report signal strength correctly and you connect to a weak access point. If your wireless access point is encrypted and there is also a open network available (maybe your neighbors with a weak signal) wpa_gui will automatically try to connect to the open network. This can all be overridden though. Here's how to connect using Wpa_gui.

1) Click on the Wpa_gui icon in the tray.

2) Click on scan.

3) Double click on the network you want in the scan results list. If you don't see your network in the list, go back and click disconnect, and then click scan again.

4) Enter your password, if needed, and click on add.

5) Close the scan results window (optional).

6) Use the 'Network' pull-down list to select your network (That's the second one after 'Adapter').

After that just wait a minute to connect and for dhcpcd to get a address.

Jim1911

#138 Post by Jim1911 »

The problem that I had with the Wpa_gui is the confusing layout of the NetworkConfig dialogue box. It starts with the improper notation in the Authentication box "(no authentication)", that's only correct for an open wifi network connection. :? Note that the password box is grayed out. I finally discovered that the password must be entered in the WEP keys at "key 0" box which now states "[key is configured]". Translation, correct password was entered.:oops: Not me, but the dialogue box designer should be.

Hopefully, someone else will benefit from my learning that the password must be entered in the key box, not the grayed out password box.

This is being posted from my laptop and everything checked so far is working fine and as I indicated earlier, some functions are faster than my desktop which has a faster processor. :D

Thanks for being patient with me,
Jim
Attachments
image-3.png
(84.18 KiB) Downloaded 650 times

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600 alpha2

#139 Post by Billtoo »

I won't fill this savefile up in a hurry!
Attachments
savefile.jpg
(8.42 KiB) Downloaded 598 times

smokey01

#140 Post by smokey01 »

Do tell Bill