Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Sep 2014, 13:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-600 alpha2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 8 of 17 [246 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2012, 23:12    Post subject:  

WillM wrote:
jamesbond wrote
Quote:
Do you mind sharing this for the rest of us?

Gladly
Thank you, will bookmark this post Smile
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 00:17    Post subject: Re: Fatdog64-600 alpha2
Subject description: savefile

jamesbond wrote:
Billtoo wrote:
hardinfo couldn't create a report (permissions problem) so I compiled
the source and installed that.
Permission problem? When generating the report? I just run hardinfo (as multisession) and it seems to be working fine (it saves the report to /root)... Can you reproduce the issue?

It was my mistake, sorry.I got the error because I had loaded the
wrong devx the first boot after copying the savefile from the flash
drive to the hard drive and using fatdog savefile=direct:local
With the proper devx loaded there is no error, I guess there would be
no error if no devx was loaded too.

I still can't get the savefile on the flash drive to load, I've tried
putting waitdev=15 before and after the savefile=direct:usb so I'm
doing something wrong.
noerror.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   33.49 KB
 Viewed   592 Time(s)

noerror.jpg

error.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   17.11 KB
 Viewed   610 Time(s)

error.jpg

jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 00:36    Post subject: Re: Fatdog64-600 alpha2

Billtoo wrote:
It was my mistake, sorry.I got the error because I had loaded the
wrong devx the first boot after copying the savefile from the flash
drive to the hard drive and using fatdog savefile=direct:local
With the proper devx loaded there is no error, I guess there would be
no error if no devx was loaded too.
Yes, due to the new layering model, if you load the wrong devx, its library can hide Fatdog64 libraries and you'll get this problem. The SFS tool will allow you to load any SFS - so you need to exercise caution Smile

Quote:
I still can't get the savefile on the flash drive to load, I've tried
putting waitdev=15 before and after the savefile=direct:usb so I'm
doing something wrong.
Try this: savefile=direct:device:sdb1:/fd64save.ext4. Replace sdb1 with your flash drive; fd64save.ext4 with the name of your savefile. Put the waitdev parameter, try waitdev=5 (I think 15s is an extremely long delay). If this still doesn't work, use the "earlyshell" parameter. This will drop you to a shell in initramfs, you can check to see whether your flash drive is detected by running "blkid". When done, type "exit" to continue booting.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 01:22    Post subject: Re: Fatdog64-600 alpha2

jamesbond wrote:
Try this: savefile=direct:device:sdb1:/fd64save.ext4. Replace sdb1 with your flash drive; fd64save.ext4 with the name of your savefile. Put the waitdev parameter, try waitdev=5 (I think 15s is an extremely long delay). If this still doesn't work, use the "earlyshell" parameter. This will drop you to a shell in initramfs, you can check to see whether your flash drive is detected by running "blkid". When done, type "exit" to continue booting.

This worked:

fatdog waitdev=5 savefile=direct:device:sdb1:/fd64save.ext4

Well it ought to be easy from now on since I have this written down in
my notebook Smile

Thanks
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 02:39    Post subject: Re: Fatdog64-600 alpha2

Billtoo wrote:
This worked:

fatdog waitdev=5 savefile=direct:device:sdb1:/fd64save.ext4

Well it ought to be easy from now on since I have this written down in
my notebook Smile

Thanks
You can try to reduce the waitdev (perhaps 3 seconds is enough?) You can also drop the filename (just use direct:device:sdb1) if the filename is fd64save.ext4.

BTW - notice for all multisession users --- SFS does not work at the moment and if you use it will disable you from saving future sessions.

This will be fixed in next release.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 10:06    Post subject: Re: Latest Wine Version  

Jim1911 wrote:
I’ve discovered another incompatible program.

Installed wine-1.5.4-i486_v1.pet after first loading fd64-32bit-libs-3.sfs. Wine appears to be working well, and I’ve run some Windows programs under it.

However, the Wine installation somehow broke the Package Manager. Sad When trying to execute it comes up with a message “Refreshing list of installed packages...” and then displays a “GTK-server Error!” “ERROR: No value entered where “gtk_tree_store_set” expects one!” It worked just prior to the Wine installation and gave error immediately thereafter.
You can try extract the wine.pet and change /usr/lib to /usr/lib64, then rebuild the pet then install. That *may* fix the problem for the time being.

Quote:
Don’t waste time trying to solve this, however please place preparation of the latest stable release of Wine which I believe is 1.4 on your todo list.
I never compiled Wine myself, I always use green_dome's compilation - and the above is exactly how I did it (only that I turn it into SFS instead of another pet, and I also added wine-gecko).

Now on to 32-bit libs - which Puppy you all want to base the the 32-bit libs on? Racy? Wary? Slacko? For your info, the old 32-bit libs was based on Wary 5.0 (the reason being, it was compiled from T2 at about the same time Fatdog 500 - thus it has libraries of similar age). I'm open to suggestions. Or we can always be lazy and keep the existing 32-bit libs Very Happy

cheers!

irishrm

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 11:04    Post subject:  

kirk:
jamesbond:

I did a very careful re-install directly to USB.

During the install i was given the default option of moving the download file outside of the savefile.
I un-ticked that box and my downloads are appearing in spot as they should do.

I have downloaded some small and large downloads even a youtube video without any hiccup.

so far so good "upward and onwards"
irishrm.
Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 11:21    Post subject: Re: Latest Wine Version  

jamesbond wrote:
You can try extract the wine.pet and change /usr/lib to /usr/lib64, then rebuild the pet then install. That *may* fix the problem for the time being.

I never compiled Wine myself, I always use green_dome's compilation - and the above is exactly how I did it (only that I turn it into SFS instead of another pet, and I also added wine-gecko).

Now on to 32-bit libs - which Puppy you all want to base the the 32-bit libs on? Racy? Wary? Slacko? For your info, the old 32-bit libs was based on Wary 5.0 (the reason being, it was compiled from T2 at about the same time Fatdog 500 - thus it has libraries of similar age). I'm open to suggestions. Or we can always be lazy and keep the existing 32-bit libs Very Happy cheers!

I've found green_dome's wine pets to be very reliable and have been using mostly his development versions for years. The stable version usually is too far behind and I've found the development versions to be stable. It will be a good learning experience for me to try what you suggested.

As for 32-bit libs, I believe that Slacko would provide good results although the Wary based libs have given no problems with the programs I've tried.

Lazy, not you! Wink

Thanks,
Jim
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 11:30    Post subject: Fatdog64-600 alpha2
Subject description: compile error

I tried to compile xfe-1.32.5 but get an error message, anything in
the config.log will baffle me I'm sure so is there an easy fix?
compile.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   46.34 KB
 Viewed   505 Time(s)

compile.jpg

kirk

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 12:23    Post subject:  

Bill,

It looks like you don't have the devx installed.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 13:04    Post subject:  

kirk wrote:
Bill,

I do have the devx installed, I've successfully compiled xine-lib-1.2.1,fox-1.6.45,gogglesmm-0.12.6, and a couple of others already, no luck with xfe though.
Edit:also firefox-12 and xine-ui, vlc wouldn't play the movie dvd in the screenshot but xine-ui will, I admit to liking that movie Smile
xine-ui.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   152.95 KB
 Viewed   455 Time(s)

xine-ui.jpg

devx.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   28.61 KB
 Viewed   482 Time(s)

devx.jpg

Last edited by Billtoo on Tue 22 May 2012, 16:51; edited 1 time in total
Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 16:19    Post subject: Re: Latest Wine Version  

Jim1911 wrote:
jamesbond wrote:

Now on to 32-bit libs - which Puppy you all want to base the the 32-bit libs on? Racy? Wary? Slacko? For your info, the old 32-bit libs was based on Wary 5.0 (the reason being, it was compiled from T2 at about the same time Fatdog 500 - thus it has libraries of similar age). I'm open to suggestions. Or we can always be lazy and keep the existing 32-bit libs Very Happy cheers!

I've found green_dome's wine pets to be very reliable and have been using mostly his development versions for years. The stable version usually is too far behind and I've found the development versions to be stable. It will be a good learning experience for me to try what you suggested.

As for 32-bit libs, I believe that Slacko would provide good results although the Wary based libs have given no problems with the programs I've tried.

Lazy, not you! Wink

Thanks,
Jim
Your suggestion to rebuild the Wine pet by changing /usr/lib to /usr/lib64 did not prevent Package Manager from breaking. It did work initially after the Wine installation, but after a reboot Package Manager is broken. Sad However, nothing other than Package Manager appears to be broken and as you can see from the attached desktop, I have NVIDIA driver, xfe, Bibletime, and three Windows programs BibleAnalyzer, e-Sword, and theWord all running fine at the same time. Very Happy I guess if I want to use Windows programs for the time being, I'll have to do without the Package Manager.

Thanks,
Jim
desktop.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  desktop.jpg 
Filesize  567.55 KB 
Downloaded  143 Time(s) 
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 20:12    Post subject:  

Billtoo wrote:
kirk wrote:
Bill,

I do have the devx installed, I've successfully compiled xine-lib-1.2.1,fox-1.6.45,gogglesmm-0.12.6, and a couple of others already, no luck with xfe though.
Bill, please post the config.log of the failed configure phase of xfe. Btw xfe is already in the repo - you don't have to compile it unless you want to customise your own build, of course. You need FOX toolkit to build xfe (also already in repo).

Quote:
Edit:also firefox-12 and xine-ui, vlc wouldn't play the movie dvd in the screenshot but xine-ui will, I admit to liking that movie Smile
Can't test that because I don't have that movie, but all the movies I throw to VLC plays so far ...
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 20:18    Post subject: Re: Latest Wine Version  

Jim1911 wrote:
Your suggestion to rebuild the Wine pet by changing /usr/lib to /usr/lib64 did not prevent Package Manager from breaking. It did work initially after the Wine installation, but after a reboot Package Manager is broken. Sad However, nothing other than Package Manager appears to be broken and as you can see from the attached desktop, I have NVIDIA driver, xfe, Bibletime, and three Windows programs BibleAnalyzer, e-Sword, and theWord all running fine at the same time. Very Happy I guess if I want to use Windows programs for the time being, I'll have to do without the Package Manager.

Thanks,
Jim
Try as I might, I could not make the package manager fail by installing the wine pet (even before renaming /usr/lib to /usr/lib64) - but then I'm running the latest build with all the fixes, so there may be a difference there.

Anyway, I'm uploading wine-1.5.4 SFS (courtesy of green_dome compile) to the repo now (not yet finished). You know it's finished when the accompanying md5sum.txt file is there too. You still need to use the old 32-bit libs, of course.

For the 32-bit libs, I remember in addition to standard Wary, I needed to add libSDL and other stuff. I haven't explorer 32-bit puppies so far, so which ones comes with the largest set of libraries? I want to avoid adding libs manually unless I really have to. Or may be they are all similar because all are based on Woof?

cheers!

jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2012, 20:44    Post subject:  

Java JDK and JRE sfs uploaded (1.6 update 31).
Page 8 of 17 [246 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: