Fatdog64-600 alpha2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

#136 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:
Have you tried Wpa_Gui that's in the tray?
Yes, it did not work either.
Jim can you attach your /var/log/messages to a post? The forum might only allow compressed attachments. To compress it open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

# gzip /var/log/messages
Then attach it.

Thanks
Attached, the problem could be that I just don't know what I should be entering using the Wpa_Gui. I believe that I do have the correct entries for Pwireless.

Thanks,
Jim
Attachments
messages.gz
(12.62 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

kirk

#137 Post by kirk »

Jim,

It looks like your wireless is trying to connect to a open network. Wpa_gui is setup to automatically connect to what it thinks is the best open network. Sometimes the wifi driver doesn't report signal strength correctly and you connect to a weak access point. If your wireless access point is encrypted and there is also a open network available (maybe your neighbors with a weak signal) wpa_gui will automatically try to connect to the open network. This can all be overridden though. Here's how to connect using Wpa_gui.

1) Click on the Wpa_gui icon in the tray.

2) Click on scan.

3) Double click on the network you want in the scan results list. If you don't see your network in the list, go back and click disconnect, and then click scan again.

4) Enter your password, if needed, and click on add.

5) Close the scan results window (optional).

6) Use the 'Network' pull-down list to select your network (That's the second one after 'Adapter').

After that just wait a minute to connect and for dhcpcd to get a address.

Jim1911

#138 Post by Jim1911 »

The problem that I had with the Wpa_gui is the confusing layout of the NetworkConfig dialogue box. It starts with the improper notation in the Authentication box "(no authentication)", that's only correct for an open wifi network connection. :? Note that the password box is grayed out. I finally discovered that the password must be entered in the WEP keys at "key 0" box which now states "[key is configured]". Translation, correct password was entered.:oops: Not me, but the dialogue box designer should be.

Hopefully, someone else will benefit from my learning that the password must be entered in the key box, not the grayed out password box.

This is being posted from my laptop and everything checked so far is working fine and as I indicated earlier, some functions are faster than my desktop which has a faster processor. :D

Thanks for being patient with me,
Jim
Attachments
image-3.png
(84.18 KiB) Downloaded 650 times

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600 alpha2

#139 Post by Billtoo »

I won't fill this savefile up in a hurry!
Attachments
savefile.jpg
(8.42 KiB) Downloaded 598 times

smokey01

#140 Post by smokey01 »

Do tell Bill

jamesbond

Re: Fatdog64-600 alpha2

#141 Post by jamesbond »

Billtoo wrote:I won't fill this savefile up in a hurry!
Hahaha :D Can you please run "calcfreespace.sh" from terminal and copy and paste the output here? Most likely has been fixed but still good to know why it fails on your machine.

Jim, I'd never guess you are running a WEP network. It is deprecated and much less secure than WPA/WPA2. Anyway, with that hindsight now, for WEP, whatever settings you put in your wireless router, you will have do duplicate it in wpa_gui (I'm sure your router also has 4 fields for WEP key).

Anyway, here is Linus Torvalds (no less!) comments on slow blkid ... http://www.spinics.net/lists/util-linux ... 02852.html He was complaining that it took 30 seconds just to scan a (admittedly slow) usb disk.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

#142 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote:I won't fill this savefile up in a hurry!
Hahaha :D Can you please run "calcfreespace.sh" from terminal and copy and paste the output here? Most likely has been fixed but still good to know why it fails on your machine.
/quote]

# calcfreespace.sh
#

When is the next version coming?

Edit:I made some qt482 pets and can upload them to you if you'd like them,if so pm me.

smokey01

#143 Post by smokey01 »

jamesbond don't forget mhwaveedit. I tried the one in the 500 repo but it didn't work. Was missing an .so file.

Thanks

Jim1911

#144 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:Anyway, here is Linus Torvalds (no less!) comments on slow blkid ... http://www.spinics.net/lists/util-linux ... 02852.html He was complaining that it took 30 seconds just to scan a (admittedly slow) usb disk.
I unplugged the usb printer and got the same results with no save file, about 10 min for desktop drive icons to show up versus about 20 sec with the save file with the fixed code, you PM'd. Of course, when blkid is disabled, drive icons show up immediately as they do with Fatdog64-521. I am curious about why others haven't observed the same problem. Although drive icons show up immediately on my Laptop with a similar i7 processor and on an old Dell computer with a much slower 2-core processor.

Hopefully alpha 3 won't have this problem on any hardware.

Cheers,
Jim

kirk

#145 Post by kirk »

It starts with the improper notation in the Authentication box "(no authentication)"
That's probably correct, but confusing. With WEP you have Open System authentication and Shared Key authentication, the first being more common and probably what you're using. With Open System authentication you can associate with the access point without being authenticated. You can't connect to the network without the key but anyone can associate with the access point. But like James wrote, WEP is broke. Even with bad luck you can crack 128bit WEP in less than an hour. But in reality almost no one is that interested to try.

Jim1911

Feature Request

#146 Post by Jim1911 »

Please include a battery monitor or am I overlooking it on my laptop installation. :(

Thanks,
Jim

kirk

#147 Post by kirk »

Should have a battery monitor, see letter M on this page:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... /tray.html

Jim1911

#148 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:Should have a battery monitor, see letter M on this page:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... /tray.html
Then, there is another problem. There are a number of missing tray icons. See desktop image below.

The problem is only with the JWM desktop. I switched back to Openbox and see the icons.

kirk

#149 Post by kirk »

JWM is still in there, but we don't really support it. Mainly because nether one of us use it. It probably should be removed, unless James wants to do something with it. I haven't tried JWM for a while, maybe it's better now?
Anyway, please use Openbox. Sorry for the confusion.

01micko

#150 Post by 01micko »

Later JWM versions are improving, fullscreen bugs fixed, screen rotation.. but there is a compositing bug which Joe is working on.

-

Ok.. there is a "bug" with your nifty samba share rox app.. and it only occurs when mounting a Mac share [ :roll: ]. ( I might "steal" this one :wink: )

My wife has a macbook and the sharename is "Kriista's Public Folder" .. yeah trust mac devs to whack in spaces and an apostrophe for good measure!

Any way, I patched the rox app for my purposes and it seems to work fine. I'll offer the patch FWIW, so anyone who knows what they're doing can patch and use with a mac. It doesn't break windows share mount with my limited testing, but, I could have introduced something.. as there appear a lot of "mounts" for my son's windows 7 machine which aren't really shares.

Also, I made a cool overlay that I use as a "mount" icon. Attached.

Patch:

Code: Select all

diff -ru /aufs/pup_ro/usr/share/Shares/Network/AppRun /usr/share/Shares/Network/AppRun
--- /aufs/pup_ro/usr/share/Shares/Network/AppRun	2012-05-02 08:52:10.000000000 +0000
+++ /usr/share/Shares/Network/AppRun	2012-05-27 07:18:09.140193879 +0000
@@ -90,20 +90,21 @@

smbclient -U $Username%$Password -g -L $IP | grep Disk | cut -d "|" -f 2 > ${TMP}shares
 NAME=$(nmblookup -A $IP | grep "<20>" | cut -d " " -f 1 | sed 's/^[ \t]*//') #couldn't reliably grep server name from smbclient.
-for SHARE in $(cat ${TMP}shares) ; do #Make rox app for each share.
-SHARE2=$(echo $SHARE | sed 's/[!@#\$%^&*()]//g') #remove some ugly characters
-mkdir $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2
-cp  $APPDIR/icons/*  $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2/
-cp  $APPDIR/icons/.DirIcon  $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2/
-cat $APPDIR/scripts/part1 > $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2/AppRun
-echo "Name="${NAME[$I]} >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2/AppRun
-echo "Share="$SHARE >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2/AppRun
-echo "Username="$Username >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2/AppRun
-echo "Password="$Password >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2/AppRun
-echo "IOCHARSET="$IOCHARSET >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2/AppRun
-cat $APPDIR/scripts/part2 >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2/AppRun
-cp $APPDIR/scripts/AppInfo.xml $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2/
-chmod -R 755 $MNTDIR/$NAME"--"$SHARE2
+for SHARE in $(cat ${TMP}shares|sed 's/ /___/g') ; do #Make rox app for each share.
+SHARE2=$(echo "$SHARE" | sed -e 's/[!@#\$%^&*()]//g' \
+                             -e 's/___/ /g') #remove some ugly characters and replace space with underscore
+mkdir $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"
+cp  $APPDIR/icons/*  $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"/
+cp  $APPDIR/icons/.DirIcon  $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"/
+cat $APPDIR/scripts/part1 > $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"/AppRun
+echo "Name="${NAME[$I]} >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"/AppRun
+echo "Share=""\"$SHARE2\"" >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"/AppRun
+echo "Username="$Username >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"/AppRun
+echo "Password="$Password >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"/AppRun
+echo "IOCHARSET="$IOCHARSET >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"/AppRun
+cat $APPDIR/scripts/part2 >> $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"/AppRun
+cp $APPDIR/scripts/AppInfo.xml $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"/
+chmod -R 755 $MNTDIR/$NAME"--""$SHARE2"
 done
 done
 killall yaf-splash
diff -ru /aufs/pup_ro/usr/share/Shares/Network/scripts/part2 /usr/share/Shares/Network/scripts/part2
--- /aufs/pup_ro/usr/share/Shares/Network/scripts/part2	2012-05-02 08:52:10.000000000 +0000
+++ /usr/share/Shares/Network/scripts/part2	2012-05-27 10:02:38.710681980 +0000
@@ -7,33 +7,34 @@
 fi

-if [ "$(mount | grep $Name )" = "" ] ; then #for some reason can't grep $APPDIR when used as a rox app, guess it's something with /.
+if [ "$(mount | grep $Name )" = "" ] ; then #for some reason can't grep "$APPDIR" when used as a rox app, guess it's something with /.
 	[ "$PARAMS" = "unmount" ] && exit
-	mkdir $APPDIR/mnt-point
+	mkdir "$APPDIR"/mnt-point
 	IP=$(nmblookup $Name | grep "<00>" | cut -d " " -f 1) #Ip address my change so look it up by netbios name.
-	mount.cifs "//$IP/$Share" "$APPDIR/mnt-point" -o "$Name,username=$Username,password=$Password,noserverino$IOCHARSET"
+	echo "mount.cifs "//$IP/\"$Share\"" "mnt-point" -o "$Name,username=$Username,password=$Password,noserverino$IOCHARSET"" > /tmp/trymount
+	. /tmp/trymount
 	if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
 	Xdialog --title "$APPTITLE" --stdout --ok-label "OK" --infobox "Could not mount the shared folder." 0 0 90000
 	exit
 	else
-	rox $APPDIR/mnt-point
-	cp $APPDIR/drive_mntd48.png $APPDIR/.DirIcon
-	rox -x $(echo $APPDIR | sed 's,/*[^/]\+/*$,,') #refresh window so new icon shows up.
+	rox "$APPDIR"/mnt-point
+	cp "$APPDIR"/drive_mntd48.png "$APPDIR"/.DirIcon
+	rox -x $(echo "$APPDIR" | sed 's,/*[^/]\+/*$,,') #refresh window so new icon shows up.
 	fi
 else #if already mounted
 if [ "$PARAMS" = "unmount" ] ; then
-rox -D $APPDIR/mnt-point
-umount.cifs $APPDIR/mnt-point
+rox -D "$APPDIR"/mnt-point
+umount.cifs mnt-point #no need for $APPDIR
 	if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
 	Xdialog --title "$APPTITLE" --stdout --ok-label "OK" --infobox "Could not umount. Close all files open on the shared folder and try again." 0 0 90000
-	cp $APPDIR/drive_mntd48.png $APPDIR/.DirIcon
-	rox -x $(echo $APPDIR | sed 's,/*[^/]\+/*$,,')
+	cp "$APPDIR"/drive_mntd48.png "$APPDIR"/.DirIcon
+	rox -x $(echo "$APPDIR" | sed 's,/*[^/]\+/*$,,')
 	exit
 	else
-	cp $APPDIR/drive48.png $APPDIR/.DirIcon
-	rox -x $(echo $APPDIR | sed 's,/*[^/]\+/*$,,')
+	cp "$APPDIR"/drive48.png "$APPDIR"/.DirIcon
+	rox -x $(echo "$APPDIR" | sed 's,/*[^/]\+/*$,,')
 	fi
 else
-rox $APPDIR/mnt-point	
-fi
+rox "$APPDIR"/mnt-point	
 fi
+fi
\ No newline at end of file

Cheers

EDIT.. hmm.. can't add attachment.. ownership maybe?

Added later in slacko
Attachments
smb_overlay.png
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mories

Locale es_ES

#151 Post by mories »

Please, as set locale other than english?
The Fatdog64 Locale Selector only offers English.
Thanks in advance.

kirk

#152 Post by kirk »

01micko wrote:
Ok.. there is a "bug" with your nifty samba share rox app.. and it only occurs when mounting a Mac share [ :roll: ]. ( I might "steal" this one :wink: )

My wife has a macbook and the sharename is "Kriista's Public Folder" .. yeah trust mac devs to whack in spaces and an apostrophe for good measure!

Any way, I patched the rox app for my purposes and it seems to work fine. I'll offer the patch FWIW, so anyone who knows what they're doing can patch and use with a mac. It doesn't break windows share mount with my limited testing, but, I could have introduced something.. as there appear a lot of "mounts" for my son's windows 7 machine which aren't really shares.

Also, I made a cool overlay that I use as a "mount" icon. Attached.
Glad you like the Samba browser, I thought it turned out pretty well too. Thanks for the patch, didn't think about the name having a apostrophe. Feel free to use it, that's why it's public domain :wink: . Yes, with Windows smbclient returns a list of shares that sometimes contain shares that don't share anything. I guess we could add a loop that tries to mount each share, and if the mount fails, don't make a rox app for it.

A couple things to note if you're going to use it in another distro. If the user does not umount their shares the shutdown may hang and the mounted/unmounted icons will be left in the wrong state. The icon state problem is just cosmetic though and will fix it self after a cycle. You'll want to have something in your shutdown script or init.d that takes care of umounting and the icons. We put it in rc.shutdown. Also, mpsan is hacked to timeout faster, there are some command line switches you can use if you want to make the un-hacked version of mpscan do about the same thing. The patched source is on ibiblio if you need it.
What does the new mount icon do or look like?

Please, as set locale other than english?
Sorry mories, it's english only.

01micko

#153 Post by 01micko »

Thanks for the info kirk.

The original idea for the overlay is in this post where I made my mount a desktop icon. I scripted the overlay to cover all icon themes installed at the time with pngoverlay (iirc), a script of Barry's using the netpbm suite. There's a screenshot at the link. It may or may not be useful to you. :)

Maybe you could set an icon for the share folder on the desktop, but I guess you may already have ideas of that?

Cheers

kirk

#154 Post by kirk »

Maybe you could set an icon for the share folder on the desktop, but I guess you may already have ideas of that?
I thought users could just drag the created rox apps to the desktop if they wanted.

I added a few lines to test mount each share to see if it's real. This weeds out the bogus shares from my daughter's Vista laptop. I've attached a pet with that along with your fixes.

If you've been using the Samba Browser on the desktop, please test this pet. Thanks
Attachments
samba-browser.pet
(35.89 KiB) Downloaded 242 times

01micko

#155 Post by 01micko »

Thanks kirk,

Samba sharing working well :)

On my son's win7 lappy I get a more sane list of shares now, "dad" (my account), Public and Users. I can only login to my account because that is the only one I have a password for which is the expected behaviour.
I thought users could just drag the created rox apps to the desktop if they wanted.
great idea, and if you overlay the stock drive icons you have, then the user has a distinction :wink: (you could probably get real fancy, but I guess sanity has to prevail!)