Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 08:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-600 alpha2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 5 of 17 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 17:05    Post_subject: What are the Grub4Dos Menu.lst arguments for Fatdog64-600  

Hi Jim1911, or whoever can help,

Jim, you mentioned that you got Grub4Dos to recognize Fatdog64-600. I assume you hand-edited its Menu.lst as running Grub4Dos misses Fatdog. I guess it only looks for intrid.gz files.
I checked the FAQ, tried the suggestion (seems to be Grub, not Grub4dos) and some variants, but so far the proper arguments escape me.

My Fatdog files are in a folder named "fatdog" --without the quotes. It is on the second partition of a sata drive, which all other puppies have recognized as sda2. Grub4dos and its Menu.lst are located on a second sata drive, which puppies have recognized as sdb.

Thanks in advance.

mikesLr
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 17:43    Post_subject: Re: What are the Grub4Dos Menu.lst arguments for Fatdog64-600  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Jim1911, or whoever can help,

Jim, you mentioned that you got Grub4Dos to recognize Fatdog64-600. I assume you hand-edited its Menu.lst as running Grub4Dos misses Fatdog. I guess it only looks for intrid.gz files.
I checked the FAQ, tried the suggestion (seems to be Grub, not Grub4dos) and some variants, but so far the proper arguments escape me.

My Fatdog files are in a folder named "fatdog" --without the quotes. It is on the second partition of a sata drive, which all other puppies have recognized as sda2. Grub4dos and its Menu.lst are located on a second sata drive, which puppies have recognized as sdb.

Thanks in advance.

mikesLr
My menu.lst entry:
Code:
title Fatdog64-600A2(sdb2/fatdog)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /fatdog/initrd
  kernel /fatdog/vmlinuz  pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdb2 psubdir=fatdog
  initrd /fatdog/initrd
Note the change from initrd.gz to initrd

Accept the default names and location for your save file and expect it to take about 10 min to create it. It can't seem to find it otherwise.

Hope this helps,
Jim
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 19:41    Post_subject: Online with Fatdog64-600 : Thanks Jim1911
Sub_title: Opera from an "out of SaveFile" folder

Hi and thanks again Jim1911,

I don't know which makes me seem dumber: (a) that I couldn't figure it out, or (b) that my first guess was correct but I forgot to delete the ".gz" from the fourth line of fatdog's listing in Menu.lst, and then tried other stuff. ('Embarassed')('Laughing').

Well, to quote a line from a pretty good movie, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, "Everything's all right in the end. And if it isn't alright, it's not the end."

mikesLr

P.S. After writing this post using Seamonkey, I thought I'd see if Opera64-11.10, which I have on and run from a folder from sda2 --which will be /mnt/home-- would work. It does. Using "program folders" might solve the conflicts mentioned in this thread. I'll download the latest 64-bit from Opera and see how that goes.

Edited_time_total
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 19:50    Post_subject: LibreOffice error  

LibreOffice gives this error when trying to load. Ideas?

# libreoffice3.5
    /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/../ure-link/bin/javaldx: /usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/bin/../lib/libjvmfwk.so.3)
    #

Thanks,
Jim
kirk

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 21:03    Post_subject:  

Quote:
I was referring to installing from the Catalyst 12.1 .run file. There were various discussions in the forums about this, at the time. But I don't know whether it was a temporary bug or a permanent feature of the installer.

After we go to the latest 3.3.x kernel we will make pet packages for ATI and Nvidia. The Nvidia installer usually works, but the ATI installer is too stupid and takes some tweaking.

Quote:
Sound is still coming from the speakers on the netbook instead of the
builtin speakers in the monitor.

You may need to use the Multiple sound card wizard to fix that.

Quote:
The screen resolution is correct on the big monitor but wrong on the
netbook screen.

Haven't tried anything like that, you might want to give Zarfy a try, It's Display Properties under the setup menu.

Quote:
# xfe
xfe: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
#

That means you've installed a 32bit libGL. Maybe you got the wrong Nvidia package?

Quote:
I prefer to be able to personalize the save file with a unique name and place it in a subdirectory and be able to choose the save file to be booted.

You do that in grub now. See http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fatdog/web/faqs/boot-options.html About 3/4 of the way down that page you'll see some examples that cover this.

Quote:
kernel /fatdog/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdb2 psubdir=fatdog

That's all changed now see http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fatdog/web/faqs/boot-options.html
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 21:15    Post_subject:  

kirk wrote:

Quote:
# xfe
xfe: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
#

That means you've installed a 32bit libGL. Maybe you got the wrong Nvidia package?

Nothing to do with Nvidia. xfe was working and it was installed after Nvidia. This error was discovered after installing the new Bibletime 2.9.1 package that Jamesbond posted in the Package Manager. I understand that he did not change the dependencies used by Bibletime 2.8.1 that you prepared. It was also present with a different save file after installation of Bibletime 2.8.1 prior to Jamesbond's update.
kirk

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 21:22    Post_subject:  

With the all new initrd everything has changed as far as boot options. The FAQs have all been updated as well, for this and many other things. If you want to boot without a save file in 521 and other puppies, you put pfix=ram on the kernel line in grub. With 600 you would use savefile=none. The "savefile=" boot option is used to pass lots of different configuration options to the system-init script.

Here's some example boot options cut and pasted here from the FAQs:

Code:
Some examples:

savefile=direct:device:sda1 --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of /dev/sda1, save directly to it
    savefile=ram:device:sda2:/fd600/fd64save.3fs --- use savefile named fd64save.3fs located in /fd600 directory of /dev/sda2, use RAM layer
    savefile=ram:usb --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of the first found usb device, use RAM layer
    savefile=direct:multi --- use multisession on device /dev/sr0
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 21:32    Post_subject:  

kirk wrote:

Quote:
I prefer to be able to personalize the save file with a unique name and place it in a subdirectory and be able to choose the save file to be booted.

You do that in grub now. See http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fatdog/web/faqs/boot-options.html About 3/4 of the way down that page you'll see some examples that cover this.

Quote:
kernel /fatdog/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdb2 psubdir=fatdog

That's all changed now see http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fatdog/web/faqs/boot-options.html
I see that I have a steep learning curve here. Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
Jim
kirk

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 21:34    Post_subject:  

Jim,

Something has replaced your libGL. Sorry, I don't know which package has done it. I can tell you without a doubt the the included libGL is 64bit. I just downloaded and opened up the xfe package, it's not that. I'll check bibletime.

EDIT: I installed xfe and bibletime from the package manager. Both work and I still have a 64bit libGL. Maybe you have another savefile you forgot about. If you don't use the "savefile=" to tell it where to look it will search all your partitions.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the folks testing so far. It's already helped us fix some stuff.

Edited_time_total
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 21:40    Post_subject:  

kirk wrote:
Jim,

Something has replaced your libGL. Sorry, I don't know which package has done it. I can tell you without a doubt the the included libGL is 64bit. I just downloaded and opened up the xfe package, it's not that. I'll check bibletime.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the folks testing so far. It's already helped us fix some stuff.
It was definitely caused by Bibletime. I had only installed 3 programs and checked operation after each installation. Nvidia driver, xfe, and then Bibletime.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2012, 22:46    Post_subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
kirk wrote:
Jim,

It was definitely caused by Bibletime. I had only installed 3 programs and checked operation after each installation. Nvidia driver, xfe, and then Bibletime.
Bibletime doesn't contain libGL. It is the nvidia driver; and when it is trying to install 32-bit drivers it overwrite the 64-bit drivers because /usr/X11R7/lib and /usr/X11R7/lib64 points to the same directory. Try to install Nvidia driver without the 32-bit library.

cheers!

jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 20 May 2012, 01:31    Post_subject: Re: Fatdog64-600 alpha2
Sub_title: fatdog64 installer

Billtoo wrote:
jamesbond wrote:

I need to say though my experience with booting from flash is very shaky; my laptops all boot with no problem. Standard partitioned mode (where the flashdrive has partition table) has more success than "superfloppy" mode. I can't however get my desktop to boot from my flash drive, whatever method I have tried ...

The fatdog64 installer to flash drive didn't go well,the installer
said it was going to write to the master boot record on the flash
drive but my Ubuntu install on the hard drive wouldn't boot anymore so it's
history.
Billtoo, I'm sorry to hear what happens. I tried the installer again with MBR mode, it wrote to the correct partition. If you don't mind doing it again, you can edit /usr/sbin/fatdog-installer.sh and change the first line from:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
to
Code:
#!/bin/sh -x
and the run the installer from terminal, and capture the output as follows:
Code:
fatdog-installer.sh 2>&1 | tee log.txt
. Then you can PM the log.txt to me.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 20 May 2012, 01:38    Post_subject:  

WillM wrote:
Thank you kirk and jamesbond for another great edition of Fatdog64.
It doesn't appear as if Urxvt is sourcing ~/.bash_profile or a ~/.bashrc.

This has nothing to do with Urxvt, it has everything to do with the shell being run by Urxvt - which is "sh". "sh" is a symlink to bash (so the shell being run is actually bash), but because it is being run as "sh" (instead of bash) it runs in POSIX mode and does not use bash-specific features. To make "bash" behave as "bash", you need to run it as "bash" and not "sh".
Ok, too much talking already. Just edit the first line of /etc/passwd from
Code:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
to
Code:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

EDIT: But if you do so, /etc/shinit will not be executed. You will need to move the code over there to bash-specific initialisation files.

Edited_time_total
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 20 May 2012, 02:08    Post_subject: Re: LibreOffice error  

Jim1911 wrote:
LibreOffice gives this error when trying to load. Ideas?

# libreoffice3.5
    /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/../ure-link/bin/javaldx: /usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/bin/../lib/libjvmfwk.so.3)
    #

Thanks,
Jim

This should not stop libreoffice from running. The message is just a warning that means libxml2 in Fatdog is built differently from the one used to compile libreoffice. See here and here.
Libreoffice does ship the matching libxml2, it is available here /opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib so if you're having problem with it, you need to launch the libreoffice like the following:
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH libreoffice

Or you can add the following line to /etc/profile.local (if it doesn't exist create one):
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Or you can create a "libreoffice-profile.sh" in /etc/profile.d/, make sure it is executable (chmod +x), and put the line above there.

Your choice Smile but only do one of them.

Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 20 May 2012, 08:22    Post_subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:
kirk wrote:
Jim,

Bibletime doesn't contain libGL. It is the nvidia driver; and when it is trying to install 32-bit drivers it overwrite the 64-bit drivers because /usr/X11R7/lib and /usr/X11R7/lib64 points to the same directory. Try to install Nvidia driver without the 32-bit library.

cheers!
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295-53.run is the 64 bit driver that I installed and the next installation was xfe and both worked fine until I installed Bibletime. I suspect that it's cause by one of the Bibletime dependencies, not Bibletime itself.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 17 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum