Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 16:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Ipad from a Puppy perspective
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2012, 05:05    Post subject:  Ipad from a Puppy perspective
Subject description: Lobster = Apple Fritter

Guys I have been using an Ipad 3 for a few weeks now . . .

Any good? Should you wait? Get something from the Android stable?

The Apple device is expensive.
I consider it the best general purpose tablet computer.
I would have liked E-ink. I would have liked longer battery life.
. . . oh well . . . Wink

The Ipad has a polish and ease of use, that I did not find in the only other Apple I have - the G4. It was a slow model.
That really is a speed issue. I don't like slow computers. The Ipad is fast. Puppy is fast.

The free apps (I have not bought even one) are great. My electricity company have a meter reader app. I have found a great radio app called AccuRadio. Flipboard is a great news reader . . . ahh you need broadband. Many apps available.

I keep finding great usage . . . for example 'notes' and its voice recognition. It lets me keep a journal. Voice recognition really is for the first time ever - usable. This probably started with Siri and will be developed further in the Apple TV (not yet available).
I tried a few browsers. Still find Safari simple, swift. Integrated. Usable . . .

The Ipad 3 takes superb pics and videos and I can send these via email (direct connection needs a proprietary device from you local appalling Apple Highway robbery store ©)

Apple is even more controlled, controlling and a closed system than Microsoft. I knew this. I knew the limitations. I also find the security advantages are very worthwhile. The reliability and polish comes at a price.

Apple does not make it easy to download music other than their Itune system. However the AccuRadio stream is great if connected . . .

I have read a novel on the Ipad - turning the back light right down.
Very good for learning Chinese or practicing Qi-Ong under direction.

Why not get an Android device? To be blunt, I wanted the best currently available tablet. When the new Iphone or 7" pad comes out, I may well think the greater portability is what I require . . .
but doubt I will be splashing out . . .

To give you an example of portability. I recently went to Box hill, Surrey and was filming the family playing. I had 3 video recording options. A still camera with video, an Android phone and the Ipad.
The Android phone was the most convenient. The Ipad the second most and the camera was never used.
I like a device I can take out. click buttons. Point and shoot and then back in the pocket. The Android video camera is low quality but for £30 was worth every penny. I could connect to Puppy with its USB to micro USB and download all the vids by mounting.
With the Ipad I had to mail images and videos to gmail (what a big corp trollop I am).
In a year or two I will get a cheap (tried and tested technology) HD smart phone. I won't use it as a phone but I look forward to its enhanced computer facilities . . . or maybe the Google project glass
will be cloned and available . . .
http://hackaday.com/2012/04/11/diy-project-glass-clone-looks-almost-too-good-to-be-true/

Technology does not stay still. Shortly I will be out of date. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Lobster on Tue 22 May 2012, 22:23; edited 1 time in total
linuxbear

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2012, 14:38    Post subject:  

I thought about an i-SOMETHING, but I will not buy any portable device from Apple until they start putting card readers in them
jpeps

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2012, 16:29    Post subject: Re: Ipad from a Puppy perspective
Subject description: Lobster = Apple Fritter

Lobster wrote:

I would have liked E-ink. I would have liked longer battery life.
. . . oh well . . . Wink

..and for only $79. Color & touchscreens should be out by the end of the year.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: