Ipad from a Puppy perspective

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Ipad from a Puppy perspective

#1 Post by Lobster »

Guys I have been using an Ipad 3 for a few weeks now . . .

Any good? Should you wait? Get something from the Android stable?

The Apple device is expensive.
I consider it the best general purpose tablet computer.
I would have liked E-ink. I would have liked longer battery life.
. . . oh well . . . :wink:

The Ipad has a polish and ease of use, that I did not find in the only other Apple I have - the G4. It was a slow model.
That really is a speed issue. I don't like slow computers. The Ipad is fast. Puppy is fast.

The free apps (I have not bought even one) are great. My electricity company have a meter reader app. I have found a great radio app called AccuRadio. Flipboard is a great news reader . . . ahh you need broadband. Many apps available.

I keep finding great usage . . . for example 'notes' and its voice recognition. It lets me keep a journal. Voice recognition really is for the first time ever - usable. This probably started with Siri and will be developed further in the Apple TV (not yet available).
I tried a few browsers. Still find Safari simple, swift. Integrated. Usable . . .

The Ipad 3 takes superb pics and videos and I can send these via email (direct connection needs a proprietary device from you local appalling Apple Highway robbery store ©)

Apple is even more controlled, controlling and a closed system than Microsoft. I knew this. I knew the limitations. I also find the security advantages are very worthwhile. The reliability and polish comes at a price.

Apple does not make it easy to download music other than their Itune system. However the AccuRadio stream is great if connected . . .

I have read a novel on the Ipad - turning the back light right down.
Very good for learning Chinese or practicing Qi-Ong under direction.

Why not get an Android device? To be blunt, I wanted the best currently available tablet. When the new Iphone or 7" pad comes out, I may well think the greater portability is what I require . . .
but doubt I will be splashing out . . .

To give you an example of portability. I recently went to Box hill, Surrey and was filming the family playing. I had 3 video recording options. A still camera with video, an Android phone and the Ipad.
The Android phone was the most convenient. The Ipad the second most and the camera was never used.
I like a device I can take out. click buttons. Point and shoot and then back in the pocket. The Android video camera is low quality but for £30 was worth every penny. I could connect to Puppy with its USB to micro USB and download all the vids by mounting.
With the Ipad I had to mail images and videos to gmail (what a big corp trollop I am).
In a year or two I will get a cheap (tried and tested technology) HD smart phone. I won't use it as a phone but I look forward to its enhanced computer facilities . . . or maybe the Google project glass
will be cloned and available . . .
http://hackaday.com/2012/04/11/diy-proj ... o-be-true/

Technology does not stay still. Shortly I will be out of date. :roll:
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 23 May 2012, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

linuxbear

#2 Post by linuxbear »

I thought about an i-SOMETHING, but I will not buy any portable device from Apple until they start putting card readers in them

jpeps

Re: Ipad from a Puppy perspective

#3 Post by jpeps »

Lobster wrote: I would have liked E-ink. I would have liked longer battery life.
. . . oh well . . . :wink:
..and for only $79. Color & touchscreens should be out by the end of the year.