How to boot an HP laptop from an iso in a VAIO via PXE-LAN?

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
benny7440

How to boot an HP laptop from an iso in a VAIO via PXE-LAN?

#1 Post by benny7440 »

The HP laptop is wifi/lan capable AWA the VAIO notebook. The HPs' BIOS is capable of LAN booting; its' HDD is dead.

I've a DSL modem with wifi capability, too; 4 lan connectors (one is already used by the VAIO).

Have searched in many places for info on how to do this but the info is spread all over the different sites. For ex., found a list of things to do if you're running in a machine with Windows: not my case.

I'm booting, mostly, PL528.005 but can boot PL525, 511, WARY 512 & Puppy Studio {all frugally installed}.

My ultimate goal is to be able to boot any of those with a menu-like screen from/at the HP to choose from. My immediate goal is to boot PL528.005 from the HP.

Have read about PXE & know I've something to install/write as a script in the VAIO side (server?), think I don't need to do anything at the clent's side (HP?).

Is there a collection of instructions, somewhere, to look at for resolving this isuue?

Thanks for any tips/hints/links!

Edit: Now I don't know how to connect the two machines: via the modem or directly?
Last edited by benny7440 on Thu 31 May 2012, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

benny7440

#2 Post by benny7440 »

I was reading a post by gcmartin around this issue & started to consider something NEW: what about a VAIO (64 bits word)=PXE Server & the HP Compaq nx9010 (Pentium 4, but can't tell if it's a 32 or 64 bits word processor)=PXE Client?...

What should I d/l as the pet files in this case?

Edit: I spent > 1 hr trying to find out which architecture it has but failed to obtain the desired data. Any help on this (32 bits or 64 bits) processor?
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]