Compaq evo n610c (no sound)

Using applications, configuring, problems
DutchPuppy

#16 Post by DutchPuppy »

If the 3.5 mm phone connector is broken, the signal way to the internal speakers might be broken. But in that case sound is heard if a headphone is connected in most cases. In your case both don't give sound.

So if it is visible that the phone connector is broken, it might have been caused by the frequent use of it and It is probably that the solder joints from the connector are intermittent in not making contact with the motherboard.

Here is a schematic of a 3.5 mm stereo phone plug.
1 is ground. If a headpone plug is inserted 3+4 and 2+5 are disconnected inside the connector and sound is only coming from the headphone, not from the speakers.
So 3+4 and 2+5 must make contact to get sound out of the internal speakers.
I had the same problem with a little Yaesu tranceiver (no sound from speaker) and replaced the connector. After that it worked again.

If having the right solder tool (very fine one) and some skill it might be possible to make it work again (resolder joints) or even replace the connector if it is really broken.
But be carefull !

Sizzlechest

#17 Post by Sizzlechest »

Dutchpuppy, I love you.

Since I don't have fine enough solder here, I just heated the contacts with the soldering iron, and sort of melted them back in to the original solder. Probably not the best connection, but I got it to bark.

I had no idea the sound circuit would be dependent on the headphone jack connections being present. I just assumed it had shorted something, and maybe the hardware thought headphones were plugged in, so it cut the signal to the speakers.

Anyhow, thank you.

DutchPuppy

#18 Post by DutchPuppy »

Great it solved the problem!

If not using the connector, most probably it keeps on working.
If you're going to use a headphone, it seems to be wise to re-solder it on occasion because re-heating the existing solder is usually not that strong and reliable. Use resin/rosin core solder for electronic parts, never use an acid solder for this kind of work, just in case people don't know it when reading this topic.

Glad you have sound now!

Kees