SeaMonkey "Save as" dialog box settings

Using applications, configuring, problems
smog

#1 Post by smog »

In Puppy 5.25 when you reverse the order of filenames listed in the Sea monkey "save as" dialogue box this setting is fixed for each subsequent save as action, however in Racy 5.3 you have to change the order each time you save a file because it reverts back to the default setting.

Please can anyone tell me how to change the settings in Racy 5.3 to be the same as 5.25?

I hope I have described this clearly

Thanks

Monsie

#2 Post by Monsie »

Hi smog,

I am not completely sure that I understand your problem. Often, posting a screenshot of what is happening helps in addition to your explanation. That said, I am going to give this a shot...

Lets start with a specific example. Suppose the files you are saving while using SeaMonkey are images. You right-click on the image and the "Save image as" option appears in the menu. You select that and then save the item to a specific folder. Now it turns out that you have several images and you want them always listed in reverse order. If this is the case, and what you are asking about, then do the following:
  • Open Rox-Filer and locate the folder where you are storing your files
    Right-Click on that folder and find Display and then mouse down the sub-menu and select Reversed
From now on, all of your files in that folder will be listed in reverse alphabetical order.

Hope this helps... otherwise please explain further.
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Smog is asking about the order they are displayed in the "save as" dialogue, not the order they are displayed in rox or any other file manager.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Monsie

#4 Post by Monsie »

Let's use another example. Suppose that you want to save web pages as individual .html files for off-line viewing later:
  • Navigate to website,
    Goto File --> Save Page As
    The Save As dialog box opens
Notice that this Save As dialog box interfaces with Rox-Filer so that the files can be saved in any specified location... as can be seen in my screenshot. Note that the files are listed in reverse order because I clicked on the Name bar which is highlighted in blue. This setting is not persistent, so the next time I save to the same folder, those files will be in regular alphabetical order. To make this change persistent, that is: to show the files in reverse order, then the advice that I offered in my initial post stands... providing of course that it is indeed what smog is referring to.

One other important point is that the Save Page As menu item works this way providing you haven't changed the default setting for where to save Downloads in SeaMonkey Preferences.

Monsie
Attachments
SeaMonkey--Save-as_dialog.png
(82.27 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

disciple

Re: SeaMonkey "Save as" dialog box settings

#5 Post by disciple »

Monsie wrote:Notice that this Save As dialog box interfaces with Rox-Filer
No, it doesn't interface with rox at all. It interfaces with the file system.
To make this change persistent, that is: to show the files in reverse order, then the advice that I offered in my initial post stands...
What?!
It doesn't affect the sort order in the "Save as" dialogue. It only affects it in rox. Certainly not on my system, anyway.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Monsie

#6 Post by Monsie »

Hi disciple,

You are correct.

I just tried to reproduce my findings using the steps that I outlined, and now I find that I am unable to get persistence with reverse sort order in the Save As dialog. I was sure that I had achieved this at one point... :?

Maybe I did something else also, which I overlooked. If I figure this out, I will update this thread with my findings.

With apologies, :oops:
Monsie

smog

#7 Post by smog »

Thanks guys, I hope you can help me.

Thanks for your help defining my question Disciple, I really appreciate it