Dell Poweredge 1750 - Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Install Issue

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
KentC

Dell Poweredge 1750 - Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Install Issue

#1 Post by KentC »

Hello everyone,

I have specific issue and would like to fix the Puppy Linux 4.3.1 iso to load the SCSI HDD's on the LSI Logic Perc 4/Di controller card?

Testing:

I tried Slacko Puppy Linux 5.7 and was able to load the SCSI interface OK and working with that ISO.

My Goal:

Load whatever is needed to bring the SCSI controller online which would seem to be missing a driver. I have had a similar problem on PE1950 as well.

Please share your input to help me remaster the puppy linux iso with whatever I'm missing.

Thanks,
Kent C.

Fossil

#2 Post by Fossil »

I doubt if I can be of much help but, are you using a standard Puppy 4.3.1 distro? I'm probably on the wrong track but there are a couple of SCSI enabled 'special puppies' here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... l-puppies/

KentC

#3 Post by KentC »

Hi!

Any help is appreciated. I've tried all the different SCSI type isos and they are lacking the actual SCSI interface from Perc 4/Di I need.

Still checking on things to try out since this is Fusion mpt.

Thanks,
Kent C.

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

KentC wrote:I tried Slacko Puppy Linux 5.7 and was able to load the SCSI interface OK and working with that ISO.
Yes, "Fusion MPT" support was added from Slacko version 5.3.3 onwards - I know because I requested this feature back in Dec 2011 -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 698#588698

KentC wrote:Please share your input to help me remaster the puppy linux iso with whatever I'm missing.
Let me check - you want to add Fusion MPT support to Puppy 4.3.1, right?
OK, you will need to set up a full kernel compilation environment for Puppy 4.3.1, then modify its kernel configuration to enable Fusion MPT device support, then totally recompile the kernel and kernel modules. Instructions here -
http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compilekernel.htm
Also, if you want to remaster your new installation such that Puppy 4.3.1 can be frugally booted, then that's a whole new complicated procedure.
All in all, quite a significant task.

Step back and look at the big picture. Slacko seems to work for you perfectly well - so why not stick with it?
Be practical. Do you really need to run Puppy 4.3.1? Or is it just a personal preference thing?

KentC

#5 Post by KentC »

Hi tempestuous!

I'm running Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and am willing to journey for such to work for a Dell Poweredge on that version of the OS. [Personal Preference]

tempestuous

Code: Select all

you will need to set up a full kernel compilation environment for Puppy 4.3.1
What would be the requirements for this? I know this probably has been answered before, but I want to enable that feature. I have found another way
to make this work
on this server. What I have done with the Perc 4/Di is "DISABLED" the controller all-together. I have the newest version A12 for the BIOS firmware and USB don't show up as HDD.

Cool part is you can use CD and the pupsave431.sfs shows up during the load process if it's still plugged in. [It's the workaround,I still need to check if floppy will work]

I'm doing this for a project I want to setup with Brekeke.com. They've given me the commercial license free for this attempt. Reason I'm using these Dell Poweredge is they are cheap,32bit, and I have access to quite a few, and still powerful if you wish to run a small linux server. I want to test
Puppy Linux 4.3.1 specifically with this sip server software, and bring forth a Dell Poweredge Fusion MPT supported ISO for download using 4.3.1

Thanks,
Kent C.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Good luck.