Announcing PeasyP2J

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
jpeps

#16 Post by jpeps »

Goldberg Variations: (Doesn't post correctly :cry:

Edit: converted to png...works!

( format could be an option? )

BTW/ score was posted as freeware
Attachments
score-2.png
(69.45 KiB) Downloaded 632 times

jpeps

#17 Post by jpeps »

Here's one with the PNG code included:
Attachments
peasyp2j.png
(26.56 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
peasyp2j.tar.gz
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 530 times

ravensrest

#18 Post by ravensrest »

I've run this beautiful piece of software in Puppy528, Slacko53, Wary53, and Racey53. I used it with ghostscript 8.15, 8.64, 8.71, and 9.05. Everything works fine! Really useful utility for me. Currently installed in all four Puppy variants with ghostscript 8.71.

Thanks for a great tool.
BS

rcrsn51

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

ravensrest wrote:I've run this beautiful piece of software in Puppy528, Slacko53, Wary53, and Racey53. I used it with ghostscript 8.15...
Ghostscript 8.15 is definitely a problem with some PDFs so it's worthwhile to upgrade.

The version of PeasyP2J that is now included in PeasyPDF goes one step further. It can extract some pages from a PDF document and glue them back together into a new PDF.

You can then run the PDF Builder component to add your own pages to the document.

Thanks for testing.

jpeps

#20 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:
ravensrest wrote:I've run this beautiful piece of software in Puppy528, Slacko53, Wary53, and Racey53. I used it with ghostscript 8.15...
Ghostscript 8.15 is definitely a problem with some PDFs so it's worthwhile to upgrade.

The version of PeasyP2J that is now included in PeasyPDF goes one step further. It can extract some pages from a PDF document and glue them back together into a new PDF.

You can then run the PDF Builder component to add your own pages to the document.

Thanks for testing.
I can see some advantage to first creating a folder of separate pages, so that I can add the new page anywhere I want instead of at the end. I could also remove/edit existing pages. Maybe I'm not seeing something?

rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

There are a couple of ways to handle this.

1. Edit /sbin/peasypdf and comment out line 217. Run Extractor and select the full page range. This would leave all the individual pages in /tmp.

Then run Builder, reassemble them into a new PDF and include your own pages where you want.

2. Or suppose you just wanted to insert an extra page after page 10 of the original.

Using Extractor, cut out pages 1-10 and save them to temporary file #1

Then cut out pages 11-end and save to temporary file #2

Run Builder. Add file #1, your file and file#2.

For large files, Method #2 strikes me as easier. What do you think?

jpeps

#22 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Then cut out pages 11-end and save to temporary file #2
Run Builder. Add file #1, your file and file#2.

For large files, Method #2 strikes me as easier. What do you think?
Just downloaded updated peasypdf. Excellent !!

note: ..could probably automate Method #2 into one click. Extract to PDF pages on either side with the added file(s) in the middle--build (or to delete a page, extract to PDF pages on either side of removed page--build). The way it is now, the new -EXT.pdf has to be renamed or it gets over-written.

note: The extract to PDF is a terrific addition!

rcrsn51

#23 Post by rcrsn51 »

@jpeps: Check out PeasyPDF v1.9. This should provide lots of flexibility for modifying PDF files without adding too many new features. The program has already bloated up to 3K. :wink:

I have provided two sample scenarios.

jpeps

#24 Post by jpeps »

That certainly does the job. There might be a way to automate the whole thing by just entering a "split" point. There's allegedly an arg called s.Page.End and s.Page.Start, although I haven't figure out how to use them yet. Two pdf's around the split point could be built with some flag name (eg, front/back). The user would just need to enter the included file name, the include page, and press a button....

edit: I guess s.Page.End just equals LastPage. Maybe there's some other way to indicate the last page.

This works:

Code: Select all

END=`pdfinfo Downloads/score.pdf   | grep Pages | awk '{print $2}'`

SP=$SplitPoint (UserEntry)

1-$((SP-1)) --> Front.pdf
$SP-$END --> Back.pdf

(UserEntry) --> Include.file

jpeps

#25 Post by jpeps »

Here's a version of peasypdf with a Split function. Enter the split page in the page number box, and it creates BACK/FRONT pdfs.

This seems to be a simple solution. I can then sandwich anything I want via the builder.

(uses pdfinfo).
Attachments
peasypdf.tar.gz
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
peasypdf.png
(32.7 KiB) Downloaded 675 times

jpeps

#26 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote: The program has already bloated up to 3K. :wink:
Looking at alternatives, there's pdftk, a simple command line tool that handles tasks such as merging and splitting PDF docs. With deps, looks to be about 168 Megs.