Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 14:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Equinox Desktop (EDE)
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Gnuxo

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2012, 15:37    Post_subject:  Equinox Desktop (EDE)
Sub_title: I keep forgetting about this request forum.

Equinox desktop is a small and fast desktop environment for all unix based systems. The developers claim that it uses less ram and cpu then xterm.
It's only dependency is FLTK.

homepage: equinox-project.org

I thought that this would be a great desktop for a puppy. I don't like that puppy is going in the direction of KDE or other heavier desktops.

...Anyway, doesn't XFE also use FLTK? If it does then Equinox plus XFE would be a nice combination.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2012, 15:57    Post_subject:  

No, XFE uses the fox toolkit, another c++ based widget toolkit.
Tiny Core does use fltk and has several fltk based tools that would work with fltk/EDE.
EDE development has considerably slowed though. To be viable someone would need to update it to fltk 1.3 and then it could use dillo3 for a browser.

Gnuxo

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2012, 21:22    Post_subject:  

The newest version of EDE came out two days ago, so if it's slowed it at least hasn't died and development continues.

I still think having EDE on puppy would be a good idea. I might recommend it to tiny core too, but I can't use tiny core because it won't support my wireless cards.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2012, 00:01    Post_subject:  

huh, you're right... and he even has it updated to fltk-1.3 with pekwm as the wm - it seems fairly nice for a c++ wm (better than the fltk based ones)
Gnuxo

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2012, 02:07    Post_subject:  

Yeah I love Pekwm. I prefer it to Openbox. It's sad that Puppy doesn't use it.

So if anyone would work on getting EDE working on puppy, It would awesome.
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2012, 05:21    Post_subject:  

I, too, was thinking of coming here to ask whether or not anyone would be willing to compile the latest EDE desktop to perhaps Lucid or Slacko Puppy where it's now at version 2.0, has dropped eFLTK, and gone straight to the FLTK libraries... but then when I saw all the other items under "InstallationTo" for dependencies which Puppy doesn't have, such as python and perl just to name two out of the long list, I figured nobody here would wish to be bothered. -SIGH!-

So probably not in my short lifetime... And I really used to enjoy running the 1.0 series on Puppy-2.14 and up to 4.2.1. I don't know... there was just "something" about EDE that made it a fun desktop. Definitely unusual in the Linux realm!

Hopefully someone may reconsider with version 2.0 just out? Maybe even you Tech where you're so great at compiling these things? Smile

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2012, 12:04    Post_subject:  

you will need dbus, fltk-1.3.X, jam, edelib and ede
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus/
http://fltk.org/software.php
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ede/files/
(some functions in emountd also need HAL and others need libstartupnotify)

Notes:
I tried to build it without dbus (also using static ede,fltk and uclibc++), but the patches were getting to be non-trivial (I grokked out everything except evoke/Xsm.cpp & a few others, but its a bear, so it looks like dbus is going to need to stay)

Some of the c++ uses gnu extensions - specifically ext/slist, and while some of the source has those ifdef'd, there are a few that don't so you would need gnu libstdc++, stlport or another c++ stl with slist (not uclibc++ at the moment)

here are the other if/ifdef/ifndefs that may be applicable:
DEBUG, DEBUG_AUTOSTART_RUN, EDE_PANEL_LOCAL_APPLETS, EDEWM_HAVE_NET_SPLASH, file,HAVE_CONFIG_H, HAVE_CURL, HAVE_HAL, HAVE_ICONVCTL, HAVE_IMAGE_JPEG, HAVE_IMAGE_PNG, HAVE_IMAGE_XPM, HAVE_LIBSTARTUP_NOTIFICATION, HAVE_LIMITS, HAVE_SETENV, HAVE_SHAPE, HAVE_SLIST, HAVE_SWPRINTF, HAVE_TIMERSUB, HAVE_UNSETENV, HAVE_XFT, HAVE_XINERAMA, HAVE_XKBRULES, HAVE_XRANDR, HOST_NAME_MAX, ICONV_CONST, KNOWN_APP_PREDEFINED, lint, __linux__, MAXPATHLEN, OPACITY, os.name, uchar, uint, ulong, USE_EDELIB_WINDOW, USE_LOCAL_CONFIG, USE_SIGHUP, ushort
(as you can see extra functionality may be available with extra dependencies)

Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 08:14    Post_subject:  

Hi Tech,

WHOA!! Shocked Then it's simply not worth it for the small amount of people - I'd dare venture a guess of ten or less? - who would download and use EDE upon Puppy. What a terrible shame! Crying or Very sad

You would think that the person developing the desktop, in order to see wider use of his work, would go about making some binaries which could be used OOTB upon well-known distros? Say like Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, and so on, so as to have at least a .deb version, .txz version, .rpm, etc. If a .deb version then there would be some hope of a person like me, with some patience in tracking dependecies ( well, truth be told that was in the past... I'm not online like I once was ) but no compiling experience could at the very least have a chance of installing and running the desktop.

BTW Tech: Did you know that the older EDE desktop had been once made into a .pet and was offered upon this forum a few years back? I thought perhaps if you could see how that person compiled it ( he did it under a meg at that while it remained still fully functional! - a real marvel! ) maybe it would give you some ideas as well as to shortcuts, etc.?

At any rate Tech, whatever happens thanks for taking so much of your very valuable time and trying for an old salt such as myself. I really appreciate the effort you have put into this my friend!

Cheers/Amicalement

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum