Automount flash drive, auto upload file, auto unmount

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
canbyte

Automount flash drive, auto upload file, auto unmount

#1 Post by canbyte »

Hi
I was wondering if there is anything around that will do all those things without any human interaction except for inserting / removing the stick. Some sort of indicator light would also be helpful if no screen is available but not sure how this would be set up without going 'industrial'.

An example would be students uploading lecture notes from prof's PC where prof might not want pc open to tampering (therefore no screen/ keyboard). Assume students have no PC or ethernet device, only a USB flash drive.

I guess this might be similar to a server or maybe an RSS feed but without a network.

I'd prefer doing this from Puppy as it's the only linux I'm familiar with but unfortunately don't know anything about programming. Would it be a difficult thing to set up from scratch if need be?

Thanks in advance.

PS. I see the forum instructions are to post this in a relevant forum and link to it here. Not sure how that goes but I'll post this in file system category.

PPS Decided instead to first do step one (automount) as posted here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 173#630173
I'm having problems with it so if you could go there and suggest what to do, that would be appreciated. Thanks
[color=orange]1. Dell Dimension E521, AMD Athln 64, 2 GHz 1.93GB ram,
Puppy 533 on CD, accesses flash drive only,
FFox Nightly12.0
2. Compaq P3 733Hz 375RAM
Printer: Oki C3400 > LAN [/color]