Finally found right Drivers for my winmodem(SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
muffinhead

Finally found right Drivers for my winmodem(SOLVED)

#1 Post by muffinhead »

I finally found the right hsf Drivers for my modem, for Puppy Linux, but am having a bit of a Problem compiling them, and getting them to work right.

It is the hsfmodem-7.43.00.01full.tar.gz , Hsf Modem Driver, and I found these in a post made by swear000 in the thread at :

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=21772#21772

I compiled them fine, but when I go to run hsfconfig, it asks me where my kernel source directory is, so it can recompile, I put: /usr/src/linux as where my kernel source directory is, and then it scrolls down in the console a bit, and says, "Failed, Please check hsfmodem-buildlog.txt for more info" or something almost exactly like that.

So I check the hsfmodem-buildlog.txt, and it says in it, that it cannot find the directories, that I Just compiled from (I Post back when I look at the file, so I can give a better description)

Btw I have puppy on my C:\ Drive, the same one I have Windows XP on, thanks to Marks handy installer, am running Puppy-Linux version 1.0.8r1, and a kernel version of 2.43 .

I'll Probably be buying a linmodem or a hardware modem, as soon as I get the money, but for now I have to get my internal winmodem working with Puppy, so I can use it.

Thanks, if you can help me, I hope that I have typed everything clearly so someone could help me :wink:
Last edited by muffinhead on Sat 06 May 2006, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

try this command first:
ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/2.4.29/source
Mark

MU

#3 Post by MU »

hm, for me it worked without this command.

You could try this:
download:
http://dotpups.de/tests/hsfmodemextra.tgz

extract it in /root
You have a new folder
/root/extra

copy it to
/lib/modules/2.4.29
run in a console:
depmod

I don't know if that is sufficient.
Then run again
hsfconfig

It will ask:
Warning: existing driver modules found under:
/lib/modules/2.4.29/
Would you like to keep using them? [no] yes

So you choose yes

If it should work, you had to add such a command to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

cp -r /root/extra /lib/modules/2.4.29
depmod

Because /lib is not saved when you reboot.
Mark

muffinhead

I got my winmodem to work!

#4 Post by muffinhead »

Yay, I did it! I got my conexant winmodem to work with Puppy, I'm on the net with it right now typing this as I speak, Thanks everyone that helped :wink: I am so grateful. Thank you all so much :)

I had to obtain the full tar.gz hsf modem drivers from Linuxant, posted by swear000 in another thread, but it was all worthhwhile. I guess I won't have to Purchase an external hardware modem after all :lol:

:EDIT: This and my other thread on connecting to the internet with puppy can be listed as Solved :wink: