Keyboard Key problem?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Baldlygo

Keyboard Key problem?

#1 Post by Baldlygo »

I'm running Lupo 520 and WinXP on a Toshiba Laptop which I think has a dodgy key on the keyboard. Sometimes at boot it will continually step through the options and not stop until I tap the keyboard - when stopped I can select the OS and then boot reasonably OK. But sometimes I will get lots of "^[[[E"s as if a key is stuck and repeating.

When the system has booted I can start Chrome but then it often keeps refreshing continuously as if a key is continuously stuck down. However, strangely, if I use Seamonkey the problem does not occur. All I can think of is that the "^[[[E"s do something in Chromium but not in SeaMonkey.

I might have to replace the keyboard but I am thinking it might be possible just to disable the problem key. It seems impossible to search Google for "^[[[E" since it only find E's. Any ideas please.

Paul
Lucid 5.20 - my preferred OS on old Dell Inspiron 8000 & Toshiba Tecra M5

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

If you're mechanically inclined, perhaps you can pull the keys or disassemble the laptop to access under them.

Then get a can of this and spray it on the contact areas.
(91% isopropyl alcohol applied with a Q-tip might also work in a pinch.)

Give it a full day to make sure everything is dry, then reassemble and try it.
(Never energize anything that's wet.)

Baldlygo

Key Problem

#3 Post by Baldlygo »

Thank you Dewbie - I have the manual but there are lots of screws and I will need to allow more than an hour to take it apart and try and fix it. I will carry on using SeaMonkey until I have more time.

However no one has commented on the code "^[[[E" or how I can find out what it represents. I presume others will see codes if keys are pressed while Puppy is booting. Left arrow gives "^[[[D" but I cannot find the offending one. Any more comments anyone please?

Paul
Lucid 5.20 - my preferred OS on old Dell Inspiron 8000 & Toshiba Tecra M5