Screenshot on Pressing Print Scrn button on keyboard

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
mistfire

Screenshot on Pressing Print Scrn button on keyboard

#1 Post by mistfire »

I suggest that include a command where when the user press Print Scrn button on keyboard, It will capture a screenshot and saved on clipboard temporarily. If the user press CTRL/ALT/SHIFT + Print Scrn the user will notify where the captured screenshot is save.

Barkin

Re: Screenshot on Pressing Print Scrn button on keyboard

#2 Post by Barkin »

mistfire wrote:I suggest that include a command where when the user press Print Scrn button on keyboard, It will capture a screenshot and saved on clipboard temporarily. If the user press CTRL/ALT/SHIFT + Print Scrn the user will notify where the captured screenshot is save.
Puppy comes with mtPaint which has snapshot screen capture (see "Graphic" menu) ...
Attachments
mtPaint screenshot capture.png
(4.84 KiB) Downloaded 650 times

Jasper

#3 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

PupSnap-1.8 from radky works superbly with a very wide range of Pups.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61361

1.8 (for all its power and flexibility) is highly intuitive and very easy to use.

For example to take a full size screenshot automatically reduced to a width of 600 pixels (the maximum officially permitted on this forum - which is somewhat less well known and less intuitive to effect).

(1) Accept or change the folder where the screenshot will be saved.
(2) Choose 600 px from the drop-down-list.
(3) Choose the Full-Screen tab and click Save.

My regards

My normal (i.e. default) screen resolution is 1024 x 768 px (which is a ratio of 4 : 3) will (using the 1-2-3 steps above) produce a forum maximum allowed screenshot size of width 600. (In my case 600 x 450 px i.e. maintaining my ratio of 4 : 3).

As a separate exercise you could tab to Window or Region to take a screenshot, still with the 600 px width setting. If the object width is more than 600 px the screenshot will be a scaled reduction, but if the object is less than 600 px width the screenshot will be a scaled increase.
----------------------------------------------------
Will radky, or any tester, please correct me if I am mistaken
Attachments
screenshot.1.jpg
(115.5 KiB) Downloaded 663 times

radky

#4 Post by radky »

mistfire wrote:I suggest that include a command where when the user press Print Scrn button on keyboard, It will capture a screenshot and saved on clipboard temporarily. If the user press CTRL/ALT/SHIFT + Print Scrn the user will notify where the captured screenshot is save.
Hi mistfire,

It is possible to associate the 'Print Screen key' of your keyboard with basic screen captures, but the method varies in complexity depending on the current window manager and/or desktop environment, and there are many window managers in various Puppy derivatives.

For example, if the window manager is JWM, you can assign the Print Screen key to a full-screen capture through mtpaint by adding the following code to the keycode section of /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal, then you can edit the captured image in mtpaint:

Code: Select all

<Key keycode="111">exec:mtpaint -s</Key>
Alternatively, PupSnap is one of many optional programs you can use to capture screen images in Puppy derivatives. For user convenience, PupSnap automatically assigns the Ctrl+Shift+S keyboard shortcut for quick access to screen captures, but you may want to consider the Xbindkeys or Sven utilities which will bind commands to various key combinations. For example, in his Dpup derivatives, Pemasu uses the Xbindkeys program to assign keyboard shortcuts to different commands, including the Print Screen button which is bound to PupSnap. Xbindkeys and Sven are independent of the window manager or desktop environment, so you can quickly assign the Print Screen key to any screen capture program.

---
Jasper wrote:Will radky, or any tester, please correct me if I am mistaken
Thank you Jasper for the very nice description of the 'Size' option available in PupSnap.

In the Size option, you can select 'Default' to capture the original image size, or the pixel options to capture images in standard screen sizes (which may be smaller or larger than the original), or the percent options to reduce images to a percentage of the original.

Alternatively, you can manually enter the desired pixel dimensions (width x height) in the Size option. For example, enter 200x0 to capture an image with a 200-pixel width. The '0' in the second field indicates the height of the captured image will be proportional to the selected width, and the aspect-ratio of the image is preserved automatically.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]