LAN topics Important to Puppy community - IP V6

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Monsie

#16 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Just a follow-up to my initial post to say that I have now tried Miredo on my old Pentium 3 system and it appears to be working okay. In fact, it is a useful solution, because it turns out that my ISP is not IPV6 ready yet... apparently. See my post in Flash's thread for more information on this right over here.

Miredo is available in debian In the repositories, there are two packages: client and server. I am currently using the client in Mepis Linux which is for those of us who are on a wan and thus connect to the Internet directly. For those running a workstation in a lan environment, then one would also need the Miredo-Server package.

For non-debian based distros, it will be necessary to compile the source code, unless it is somehow possible to convert the existing debian packages into a format that Puppy can use. I will have a look at the source code as well as the debian packages to see what I can "make" of it... pun intended. That said, no guarantees... but maybe I can at least get started here at what could be possibly a worthwhile project for the Puppy Community.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

#17 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

This is an update to my last post in this thread to say that I now have Miredo installed and running in Wary Puppy. So I have IPV6 connectivity and it's an open-source software based solution. It means (for the time being) that I do not have to go shopping for any hardware such as a new router. That said, this solution may not be for everybody. Rather, I see it as an option for the average home user who has a direct (broadband) connection to the Internet.

It's been just a bit of a process... :wink: but it is do-able :)
I might add that I see this effort as being a work in progress. I will explain in detail when I create a thread over in the How-to... section of the forum --probably much later today as it is getting late for me, and work comes early....

In the meantime, here is a screenshot of my IPV6 connectivity test on-line.

Cheers,
Monsie
Attachments
IPV6test-miredo-for-puppy.jpg
(180.48 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

quote/
I see it as an option for the average home user who has a direct
(broadband) connection to the Internet. /quote

Maybe I just misunderstand the word "direct"
Broadband is not direct either. you always have a ISP
You can not go direct to the internet. You need a provider
that have the direct connection? Sorry my Engislh is rusty!
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Monsie

LAN topics Important to Puppy community -IP V6

#19 Post by Monsie »

nooby,

My apologies if my terminology is confusing. When I used the word "direct" I was trying to make the distinction between the Internet Connection that the average Home User has... versus the Internet Connection one would likely use at work. I agree that my use of the word "direct" is a bit misleading... even though for me it seems direct since I don't have to set anything extra on my Puppy desktop to achieve internet connectivity... I am on-line instantly.

For the LAN environment, Miredo can be compiled to make the miredo-server package as well as the client package. Both packages are available in the debian repositories, for example. This kind of setup will be a little more complicated than simply running the Miredo client.

That said, there may be Puppy users who are running a small network, with a home server for instance. Those users might be interested in compiling Miredo to include the miredo-server package. Since I don't run this kind of environment at home, it's not something that I am able to do... but as I said in my initial post over here I regard my efforts as being a "work in progress" and I would welcome additional efforts by others for the benefit of our Community.

Monsie