Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 09 Dec 2018, 21:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Apache OpenOffice
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
musher0

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2016, 02:30    Post subject:
Subject description: Apache Open Office, v. 4.1.2, for recent 32-bit DPups and Slackos

Hello everyone.

I've put together an sfs of apache Open Office 4.1.2, which is the latest version as
of this writing. Available from :
-- https://www.adrive.com/public/NUCwyV/aOO-4.1.2_en-US.sfs --
As you can see from the filename in the link, this one has the US English interface.

~~ Edits ~~
(Our French-speaking colleagues may be interested in the sfs of the French version.
They can access it from here.)

Notes --
# 1: Please note that this sfs is for recent 32-bit Puppies (even running on a 64-bit
computer). Untried on 64-bit Puppies.

# 2: Untried on older Puppies. Works fine on the following: "The Pooch" (so...
should work on most Dpup Wheezies) and Slim-6 (so... should work on recent
Slackos). Experience reports for other "breeds" of Pups are welcome.

End of notes --
~~ End of edits ~~

A peculiarity of this sfs is that it does NOT have the *.desktop file NOR the
symlinks in /usr/bin. So when you'll load this aOO sfs with sfs_load, you will NOT
be shown the familiar launch panel usually presented by sfs_load when it has
finished loading.

The reason I prepared the sfs this way is that the links offered by ex-factory
ApacheOpenOffice are NOT well suited for PuppyLinux:
    -- the default symlinks offer "openoffice" filenames, whereas,
    -- more often than not, the *.desktop files call < soffice -something >. Plus
    -- PuppyLinux does not have the same menu differentiation as other distros, not
    __ exactly the same menu categories.
As a consequence, I redid most of the "desktop-integration" into a separate pet.
Please get it from here:
-- https://www.adrive.com/public/JCY8GX/aOO-4.1.2_dsktp2.pet --

The order in which you install the two files above (the pet for the menu and /usr/bin,
and the sfs) does not matter. However, you have to install BOTH before you can
access the Open Office apps. This reminder may sound silly, but "human RAM
is a device that forgets". You remember that, don't you? Wink

Normally, you should see only one menu entry per OpenOffice application. E.g.
"OpenOffice Writer" under Document, "OpenOffice Calc" under Business, and so on.

This sfs of Apache Open Office will be located under /opt. On first launch, it will
create a user directory at /root/.config/openoffice4. I stongly suggest that you
move this directory to /mnt/home and bring a symlink of it back in place, because
this user directory can get pretty big pretty quickly, especially if you equip your aOO
with major plug-ins and templates.

Any problems, let me know. There shouldn't be any since I have tested it for more
than 10 days, But just in case, so you know that I'm here as a resource.

Enjoy! BFN.

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
musher0

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2016, 13:47    Post subject:  

Hello all.

I just did a major edit of the style and contents of the message above.
It may be worth a re-read.

TWYL.

musher0

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2016, 23:33    Post subject:  

Hello all.

If you need it, you'd download the 64-bit version from:
-- https://www.adrive.com/public/CWRAtf/aOO-4.1.2_amd64_en-GB.sfs --

As mentioned in my post at the top of this page, you'll also have to install the pet
archive for the desktop integration for this aOO 64-bit to work.
This pet for
desktop integration should be "bit-neutral", since there are no executables in it.

Enjoy.

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr 2016, 14:45    Post subject:  

mirrored, musher0, thanks:

aOO-4.1.2_amd64_en-GB.sfs
aOO-4.1.2_dsktp2.pet
aOO-4.1.2_en-US.sfs
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr 2016, 18:19    Post subject:  

My pleasure!
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr 2016, 18:41    Post subject:
Subject description: BUG WARNING

Hello all.

For the time being, avoid launching OpenOffice with the Quick Start or with the General
Launcher that show up in the "Utility" menu. They somehow freeze the launch.

Launching the individual apps directly (e.g. Writer, from the "Documents" sub-menu)
seems ok.

I'm on it. I'll let you know what I find and possibly a corrective.

For now, the only corrective seems to be to delete the directory at /root/.config/.openoffice4
and to restart one of the aOO application (NOT one of the general launchers).

Thanks for your understanding. BFN.

Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2016, 02:53    Post subject: i provide a database of Puppies
Subject description: format csv : just import them in your spreadsheet OpenOffice

i provide a database of Puppies in the topic Gnumeric click here format csv that can be used every where. For people who are interested by managing their kennel.
Why not join the tar;gz here ? To make you take a glance at Gnumeric, the perfect clone of EXCEL (better than Excel because bugs corrected)

format csv : just import them in your spreadsheet OpenOffice
Spreadsheet.jpg
 Description   350 puppies only (alive) in my Jukebox
 Filesize   63.58 KB
 Viewed   760 Time(s)

Spreadsheet.jpg

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct 2017, 20:53    Post subject: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 (32 Bit)  

Just a link to musher0's builds and instructions: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=971883#971883.

mikesLr

P.S. Note his explanation of why Apache OpenOffice may be superior to LibreOffice if you have to work with Microsoft Office files.
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov 2017, 19:20    Post subject:  

Hello all.

I have put together two sfs's for apacheOpenOffice-4.1.4, out last Oct. 11.
Please follow mikesLr's link above to get the goods!

To save space, I have removed version 4.1.3 from my repo at augras.eu.

The md5, sha1 and sha256 hashes for those sfs's are attached here, however.
I apologize for the apparent complication, but as you may know, security experts
recommend that the hashes not be alongside the archives.

BFN.
Hashes_aOO-414.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  Hashes_aOO-414.zip 
Filesize  663 Bytes 
Downloaded  96 Time(s) 

mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan 2018, 21:11    Post subject: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 32 & 64 bit, Maybe in your Language  

Hi All,

This is not a post for anyone who can't follow simple directions or doesn't want to spend about 15 minutes to build a fast and reliable office suite. Also, as far as I can tell docx and the other Microsoft file-formats foisted on us at the same time are not fully supported: files can not be saved in that format but can be opened with “some misalignment”, but seems to do a better job than LibreOffice, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=971883#971883. And I don't think (untested) Apache OpenOffice 4 series will function under Puppies published before 2014, But, if these drawbacks haven't deterred you, read on.

Note to the reticent: Excluding download times and the time your computer takes to process your commands, reading these instructions takes longer than your actually doing them.

Why OpenOffice. By now most of my word-processing files are in odt format, and LibreOffice has become a lumbering resource hog.

Abiword is OK for a short note, not for serious compositions. WPS is OK, but I don't like its GUI. Softmaker-Office/Free-Office are also OK, but the OpenDocument formats are not its default. Apache OpenOffice appears to be as fast as any of those, provides a full office suite –not just a wordprocessor, spreadsheet and presentation creator-- and, offers an SDK program by which –if you are so inclined-- you can customize your GUI. It's available in 40 of the major languages, for either 32 or 64 bit operating systems. If you are multi-lingual, there are also 40 language packs you can add, individually, to your default language and switch into.

Now the hardest part, having a little patience. The two OpenOffice webpages I'll provide links to are incredibly slow to open. Once opened, however, they were as responsive as other webpages with which I am familiar. But it did take about 3 minutes for each of them to open in my web-browser via a reasonably fast wifi. The actual file for the 64-bit Suite (Eng-USA) I downloaded came via MediaFire, a quick download considering it was 186 Mb. Oddly, the finished SFS was only132 Mbs, 80 Mbs smaller than my LibreOffice 5 SFS. I downloaded, but did not use the 20 Mb German Language Pack.

Step 0: If you have not already done so, install PaDS, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=658353#658353. If yours is a 64-bit system install unrpm-all.pet from here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=940751#940751 rather than unrpm.pet from the previous link. On 32-bit systems, you'll need one or the other; unrpm-all works on both.

Steps 1 and 2: Download and Unpack. OpenOffice's Suite download page is https://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html, I chose to download the 'deb' format. It actually arrived as tar.gz package that will have to be unpacked: for example, Right-Click and select UExtract. Within the "extracted" folder was another folder named “deb”.

Step 3: Move the Suite's deb folder to any partition. PaDS uses /tmp as a work directory and creates the SFS in /root, both of which are in RAM on a Frugal install. [Recommended if the downloaded file and/or extracted folder are in /root --such as in /root/Downloads-- delete or move them out of /root].

Step 4: Rename the Suite's “deb” folder: Right-Click, Select Rename. The name you give this folder will be the name of your SFS. I gave mine the name openoffice64-4.1.5. Hereafter, this folder is referred to as the “Suite folder”.

Step 5: Delete the desktop-integration folder. It's within your Suite Folder. On most puppies it doesn't function properly.

Step 6: Download the attached AOO4_Menu.pet*. Move it into your Suite Folder.

Steps 7 (optional). Download one or more language packs from here, https://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html#tested-lp. Caution: Makes sure its the language pack. In the row above each language pack is a package for a full suite. I don't know whether and how these differ from the full suites on the other page.

Extract the downloaded tar.gz(s); file-browse into its/their 'deb' folder(s) and move/copy all of the debs within into the Suite Folder.

Step 8. Right-Click the Suite folder –requires that you be able to see it as a folder-- and from the popup menu select 'combine to SFS'. Wait. Be patient, again. Smile Don't panic. Rolling Eyes Eventually PaDS will open a window to /root displaying your new SFS. On my Quad-Core with 8 Gbs of RAM it took about 3 minutes for PaDS to complete building the SFS. It would be nice if PaDS provided some kind of “I'm working” notice. But it doesn't. Sad [How long PaDS takes will depend on the number and size of the files it has to work on, and your computer's speed and available RAM]. If, after a while you do panic, you can open a file-browser window at /root and you should see an SFS there. But don't touch it. You can't be sure its finished until PaDS opens its own window.

That's it. Your new SFS should be fit for use in any operating system of its, or higher, architecture. The 64-bit OpenOffice SFS I built under Tahrpup64 ran on it, Slackware64 and Xenialpup64. The 32-bit OpenOffice I built under dpup-stretch ran under it and Xenialpup64 with 32-bit compatibility SFS loaded.

Cleaning up. Other than the SFS, itself, you can delete all other files. You may, however, want to copy the AOO4_Menu.pet somewhere for later use if and when OpenOffice publishes a new version.

mikesLr

Credit must be given to musher0. His posts reminded us of the value of Apache OpenOffice, and his menu pet was the inspiration and served as an example for the building of the attached menu pet.
AOO4_Menus.pet
Description  Installs icons. Also installs files to /usr/share/application to provide menu listings.
pet

Download 
Filename  AOO4_Menus.pet 
Filesize  80.51 KB 
Downloaded  165 Time(s) 
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2018, 13:06    Post subject: Recommendation when using OpenOffice  

Hi All,

One of the "whistles" I've grown accustomed to when running LibreOffice was its ability to add a location to the GuI that opens when you want to save a new document or open an previously created one. OpenOffice doesn't have that. It was created expecting it to be used on a multi-user system in which each user's documents would be stored in that user's Home Folder. Puppies, however, are designed as single-user systems running as Root. So the user's Home Folder is /root. And I keep all of my documents on /mnt/home.

There's a simple workaround. Open two file-manager windows, one to /root and the second to where ever you want your document stored. In my case, the latter is /mnt/home/my-stuff.

You can either (a) drag the my-documents folder to the second location, select Move, then drag it back to /root and select Link(relative); or (create and) drag a folder from the second location to /root and select Link (relative).

Although OpenOffice's GUI will display such folder as being "in root", it will, in fact, immediately see and follow such symbolic links to the location of your choice, in my case /mnt/home/my-stuff.

Saves having to always browse to where the file is located or I want it to be.

mikesLr
watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb 2018, 02:48    Post subject:  

A recent libreoffice does not work in racy 5.5. OpenOffice does work.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb 2018, 04:30    Post subject:  

I quite like Open Office although I haven't used it extensively.
As can be seen from this thread, other packages by other Puppy enthusiasts are available, but some while back I did package the 32bit build of version 4.1.4 as .sfs with the British English language pack. This also has some menu entry tweaks for JWM and some MIME associations. Because it is now not the latest version it will notify you of that, but you can ignore and disable this. In case it is of use to anyone I have uploaded it here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/JNgvahmT3P8hB8?force_show=1
As always, treat as EXPERIMENTAL and take precautions accordingly.

lost3.1

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 23:34    Post subject: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5.sfs
Subject description: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 .sfs update

Well I am just a spert not an expert so here goes. 32bit

http://www.mediafire.com/?6x7c6wv8nnbcv

I took stuff (being the technical term) from a Slackware OpenOffice 4.1.5

and removed some of the Slackware stuff and added some Puppy stuff.

Put it together as 32bit US English Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 .sfs for Artfulpup.

Seems to work on my Tahrpup too.

It works for me.

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2018, 09:16    Post subject:  

Thanks for this one! One advantage LibreOffice does have over Apache in my experience though is that it has more options for formatting text; you can change the case of a word to all small letters, all capital letters, toggle the case of all the letters in the word or have an initial capital letter and the rest small. In Open Office (including Apache) all you can basically do once you've selected a word is change its letters to upper or lower case.

[EDIT; the latest version of Apache OpenOffice, 4.1.5, does have Libreoffice-style case change options.]

Acer Aspire M1610 (Core 2 Duo, 2.3 GHz), 3 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive running Sparky 4.7 (32-bit), Emmabuntus 3.1.02, AntiX 17.2 (32-bit), Slint 14.2.1.1, LXLE 14.04.5, Pardus 17.4, CrunchBang++ and Mint Debian 3.
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to: