Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Sep 2014, 00:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
More improvements in PPM
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
mistfire

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2012, 03:38    Post_subject:  More improvements in PPM  

Is there a possibly to make the Puppy Package Manager to support DEB, RPM, TXZ, TGZ, PUP, and PET packages regardless where the Puppy Linux is build from?

In terms of repos listed in PPM. I suggest that don't make the repos hard-coded in PPM. Instead put in a file in order to make the PPM more dynamic by adding/updating/deleting repos in the list file and also to avoid the ftp.nluug.nl incident where in there is a re-release of puppy distro due to temporary offline of ftp.nluug.nl repo
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2012, 14:40    Post_subject: Re: More improvements in PPM  

mistfire wrote:
Is there a possibly to make the Puppy Package Manager to support DEB, RPM, TXZ, TGZ, PUP, and PET packages regardless where the Puppy Linux is build from?

In terms of repos listed in PPM. I suggest that don't make the repos hard-coded in PPM. Instead put in a file in order to make the PPM more dynamic by adding/updating/deleting repos in the list file and also to avoid the ftp.nluug.nl incident where in there is a re-release of puppy distro due to temporary offline of ftp.nluug.nl repo

I've had pretty good luck downloading Debian packages and installing them into Puppy. You'll have to run the package from the command line to see if there are missing dependencies.

I run frugal installs, and generally back up the save file before doing so, however.

darkcity

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2012, 15:09    Post_subject:  

Slacko and Lucid support adding DEBs.

I believe it is possible to add extra repositories to the PMM, but it involved manaully editing some config files...

http://bkhome.org/woof/ppm.htm

Gnuxo

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:59    Post_subject:  

The only issue I'd like to see resolved is adding third party sources.
Perhaps have axel accelerate the downloads because they mostly slow to a crawl. Of course it does depend on what's being downloaded and from where.

That's true for quickpet/slickpet as well.
Gnuxo

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 15:26    Post_subject:  

Ok...I finally found another improvement to the PPM.

The option to remove unneeded dependencies.

Now we all know that having to remove unneeded programs one by one is time consuming and irritating. Other package managers, most notably apt, allow for purging unused and unneeded packages.

*sudo apt-get autoremove*

There is no equivalent in the PPM.

However when you uninstall a program, the ppm tells you what dependencies aren't needed.

So it's plausible that a feature could be added to allow removing them.
mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun 2012, 02:25    Post_subject: download acceleration in PPM  

I wonder if its possible to integrate an accelerator in PPM to make downloading of packages faster and saves time.
Gnuxo

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun 2012, 15:04    Post_subject:  

Yeah, I also mentioned that.

Puppy comes preinstalled with Axel which is a decent accelerator, it's surprising that they didn't route all the downloads through it.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum