Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 03:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
pup-volume-monitor-0.1.15 and desktop-drive-icons-0.0.6
Page 8 of 11 [154 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2013, 04:39    Post subject: p-v-m in lxpup-by-sfs  

Just to report the interesting (I think) finding that it is possible to use the "Slacko" version of p-v-m from post #1 in both:

Precise Puppy 5.5 and

Upup Raring 3.8.4

by replacing just the /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0 and libgio-2.0.so.0.3nnn.n files with those from Slacko 5.5

i.e. the glib patches only affect libgio-2.so and the patch can be applied by replacing just those files, not all of glib.

For a practical demonstration see: LxPup by SFS 5.5

For Upup Raring 3.8.4 which contains glib-2.36 then a patched version of libgio-2.0.so.0.3600.n really needs to be created but this is beyond my limited capabilities - in the meantime downgrading just the libgio part of glib-2.36 to the patched 2.32 version seems to work.

[edit] for Upup Raring 3.8.7 "pup-volume-monitor and suitable libgio are included" see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=700603#700603 - practical demo: LxPup by SFS[/edit]

Cheers
peebee

Last edited by peebee on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 15:19; edited 4 times in total
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2013, 18:39    Post subject:  

This is a great concept. I wonder if you make the layout dialog more KDE or more Windows like, also add a tab which is the counterpart of MY COMPUTER on windows with some volume management options, and add ftp or light samba management. if its roll into one file manager or integrate those in PCmanFM/SpaceFM/Thunar. File Management in Puppy Linux is really much easier and great for those windows refugees.
akash_rawal

PostPosted: Tue 28 May 2013, 00:53    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
This is a great concept. I wonder if you make the layout dialog more KDE or more Windows like, also add a tab which is the counterpart of MY COMPUTER on windows with some volume management options, and add ftp or light samba management. if its roll into one file manager or integrate those in PCmanFM/SpaceFM/Thunar. File Management in Puppy Linux is really much easier and great for those windows refugees.

This means implementing a VFS (virtual filesystem) which then means tremendous amount of code.

You can always install gvfs to provide that familiar 'My computer', ftp, and a working trash can. pup-volume-monitor and gvfs can coexist together, provided gvfs was compiled without hal/gdu volume monitor.
akash_rawal

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun 2013, 10:11    Post subject:  

pup-volume-monitor upgraded to version 0.1.14
Changes:
  • Added a g_poll() call on udev monitor's file descriptor, may fix excess CPU usage problem of pup-volume-monitor if it exists.
    (This is associated with udev_monitor_receive_device() not blocking. This was reported by Iguleder here, but I can't reproduce it.)
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:38    Post subject: Impact of Raring Puppy "5.7alpha1"  

Barry's new Raring Puppy "5.7alpha1"
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00294

has major changes to device infrastructure/support:
Quote:
5. Linux kernel 3.9.5, Configured with devtmpfs,
6. Also under-the-hood, udev replaced by eudev.
7. Kmod replaced module-init-tools

Do these changes mean that p-v-m will have to change to be consistent or would a recompile under Raring Puppy "5.7alpha1" be sufficient?

Thanks
peebee

peebee

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jun 2013, 05:06    Post subject:  

Tried to compile pup-volume-monitor-0.1.14 on Raring Puppy and got the following error report even though Raring Puppy does contain libudev:
Code:
checking for UDEV... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libudev) were not met:

No package 'libudev' found

# cd /lib
# ls -l libudev*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 449348 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    933 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jun 13 08:00 libudev.so -> libudev.so.1.3.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jun 13 08:00 libudev.so.1 -> libudev.so.1.3.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 138873 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.so.1.3.0

Cheers
peebee

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul 2013, 05:11    Post subject:  

peebee,
eudev has the "next generation" libudev, version 1.x, whereas udev as used in Puppy has 0.x -- latter has libudev.so.0*

Note, this change happened when udev merged into systemd.

akash_rawal

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2013, 07:00    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
Tried to compile pup-volume-monitor-0.1.14 on Raring Puppy and got the following error report even though Raring Puppy does contain libudev:
Code:
checking for UDEV... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libudev) were not met:

No package 'libudev' found

# cd /lib
# ls -l libudev*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 449348 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    933 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jun 13 08:00 libudev.so -> libudev.so.1.3.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jun 13 08:00 libudev.so.1 -> libudev.so.1.3.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 138873 Jun 13 07:54 libudev.so.1.3.0

Cheers
peebee

This is related to libudev.pc file.

To test this myself I installed eudev from git repository

I used command ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var for eudev.

Had to do very little to get pup-volume-monitor compile.

• Move libudev.pc from /lib/pkgconfig to /usr/lib/pkgconfig
  • Replace the custom socket with udev netlink socket (This breaks pup-volume-monitor in lucid puppy 511)

Slacko 5.5 works nearly fine with eudev and pup-volume-monitor. Only my usb modem stopped working..

Overall I'm glad that gentoo developers made very few incompatible changes. So far only lucid puppy is affected with the porting but I think that can be fixed too.

pup-volume-monitor upgraded to 0.1.15
Changes:

• Replaced custom socket with udev netlink socket
vicmz

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013, 10:53    Post subject:  

Compiled pup-volume-monitor-0.1.15 on Precise Puppy 5.7.1, after following all the steps I tried running Geany, when I clicked the 'Save as...' menu Geany crashed and exited (same for other programs). Running PCManFM from terminal:

Code:
sh-4.1# pcmanfm

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDevice'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupVolumeMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientVolume'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupMount'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDrive'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GFamFileMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-local-file-monitor. Expected type is GLocalFileMonitor.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GFamDirectoryMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-local-directory-monitor. Expected type is GLocalDirectoryMonitor.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyDrive'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyMount'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyShadowMount'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolume'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitorGPhoto2'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyVolumeMonitorUDisks2'.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-native-volume-monitor. Expected type is GNativeVolumeMonitor.

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(pcmanfm:16734): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Segmentation fault
sh-4.1#

pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013, 12:17    Post subject:  

vicmz. Dejavu. Start from page 5.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=663137#663137
vicmz

PostPosted: Sun 06 Oct 2013, 02:08    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
vicmz. Dejavu. Start from page 5.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=663137#663137

Thanks!
I didn't need to compile the source myself, the glib patch made the latest version work for me on Precise 5.7.1 although it was compiled for Slacko.
Screenshot_2013-10-05_16_04_41.png
 Description   
 Filesize   41.49 KB
 Viewed   643 Time(s)

Screenshot_2013-10-05_16_04_41.png

peebee

PostPosted: Mon 21 Oct 2013, 12:16    Post subject: d-d-i for openbox  

Here is a modded version of desktop-drive-icons-0.0.5 for use when openbox is the window manager

It hides the d-d-i application from the tray

The change is in an added pinstall.sh

The requirement for the change and the solution was identified by SFR.

It has been tested on LxPup13.10 which uses openbox - and p-v-m.

Cheers
peebee
desktop_drive_icons-0.0.5-openbox.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  desktop_drive_icons-0.0.5-openbox.pet 
Filesize  21.87 KB 
Downloaded  201 Time(s) 

akash_rawal

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2014, 16:41    Post subject:  

pup-volume-monitor has been added to a subversion repository.

http://pup-volume-monitor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk

Use svn checkout http://pup-volume-monitor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ pup-volume-monitor to checkout.
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2014, 16:57    Post subject:  

akash_rawal wrote:
Use svn checkout http://pup-volume-monitor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ pup-volume-monitor to checkout.

Hi akash

Is it easy to install svn on puppy? Is there a pet?

Thanks
peebee

01micko

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2014, 17:00    Post subject:  

peebee,

SVN is on the devx

Smile

@akash_rawal, I have a problem generating configure
Code:
# autoconf
configure.ac:8: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:11: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
configure.ac:28: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --sysconfidir=/etc
configure: error: unrecognized option: `--sysconfidir=/etc'
Try `./configure --help' for more information
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64                   
./configure: line 2097: syntax error near unexpected token `-Wall'
./configure: line 2097: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(-Wall -Werror foreign silent-rules)'

Page 8 of 11 [154 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
Jump to: