pup-volume-monitor-0.1.15 and desktop-drive-icons-0.0.6

Core libraries and systems
mavrothal

#91 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:Is there a typo at line 14 in pinstall.sh ? - fasle - should be false ??
Corrected in version 0.1.10-2. Thanks
peebee wrote:Also the puninstall.sh looks for file /etc/.eventmanager_ORIG but this file is not created by the pinstall.sh - should it be??
but it does. Line 3 has

Code: Select all

cp /etc/eventmanager /etc/.eventmanager_ORIG
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

akash_rawal

#92 Post by akash_rawal »

Very sorry for replying late. I had been preparing for my board exams, performance in which can form (or deform) my future.

I still have engineering entrances left, but since I have already went through syllabus I decide to resume the development.

I may not be quick to respond now, as I have to study as well.

akash_rawal

#93 Post by akash_rawal »

pup-volume-monitor updated to version 0.1.11

Changes:
  • Mounting and unmounting made more flexible using scripts at /usr/libexec/pup-volume-monitor/
  • Several multithreading bugs fixed
  • Some more GIO functions implemented
desktop-drive-icons updated to version 0.0.3

Changes:
  • New container written from scratch permitting icon arrangement in multiple rows
  • More advanced positioning options
  • New label widget written from scratch that allows controlling no. of lines to be displayed.
  • Performance improvements at several places
  • Extra workarounds added for openbox window manager

akash_rawal

#94 Post by akash_rawal »

sc0ttman wrote:I tried to compile , and I get this:

CCLD   pup-volume-monitor
pup_volume_monitor-drive-probes.o: In function `pup_volume_assert':
/root/Downloads/pup-volume-monitor-0.1.10/daemon/drive-probes.c:172: undefined reference to `blkid_new_probe_from_filename'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [pup-volume-monitor] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/Downloads/pup-volume-monitor-0.1.10/daemon'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Downloads/pup-volume-monitor-0.1.10'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I'm using glib-2.30 if that makes a difference, not patched... Is that my problem? Will it be a problem if I get past this one above?

I'm using blkid 1.0.0 (12-Feb-2003)... I assume it's too old, or needs re-compilng etc... If so... Where are the sources? Do I need specially patched puppy sources for blkid? Is ther ea pet for blkid or do I need to update the whole e2fsprogs pkg (if that is where blkid comes from)..?
blkid is too old. That must be the problem.

The lowest puppy version I tested, lucid puppy 511, has blkid 2.17.0.

blkid is in util-linux package, https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/

akash_rawal

#95 Post by akash_rawal »

okokoook wrote:i just have little concern about the pup-volume-monitor. as instructed, i created those two scripts and left them in their corresponding directories respectively. but when i reboot, i got "not syncing, attempting to kill init" message. could anyone give me a hint on this? thank you

regards

michael
At which state does it happen exactly? And which puppy?

mavrothal

#96 Post by mavrothal »

Hi Akash
nice to have you back.

Tries your pup-volume-monitor-0.1.11-i686-precise.pet/desktop_drive_icons-0.0.3-0-i686-precise5.4.0.90.pet in Precise-5.5 and Upup Precise 3.8.3.1

On Pecise-5.5 desktop_drive_icons fails with GLib-GObject-WARNINGs and segfault. Does it still needs the patched glib?
On Upup works fine but fails to update icons when a new removable is inserted. I remember this was also a problem in (the now removed) ArchPup. You need to restart pup-volume-monitor and desktop_drive_icons to see the new drives.
Talking about restart, /etc/init.d/start-pup-volume-monitor has a typo on line 15. It should be: pup-volume-monitor-starter
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

akash_rawal

#97 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote: On Pecise-5.5 desktop_drive_icons fails with GLib-GObject-WARNINGs and segfault. Does it still needs the patched glib?
It's not exactly patched glib you need. The original glib source code doesn't have that bug. It has nothing to do with Jemimah's patch.

The guys who compile glib package are using some modified source on which I couldn't yet get my hands on.
mavrothal wrote: On Upup works fine but fails to update icons when a new removable is inserted. I remember this was also a problem in (the now removed) ArchPup. You need to restart pup-volume-monitor and desktop_drive_icons to see the new drives.
udev events aren't reaching pup-volume-monitor. Check whether
udev is running, and udev rules file (/etc/udev/rules.d/50-pup-volume-monitor.rules) is actually used.
mavrothal wrote: Talking about restart, /etc/init.d/start-pup-volume-monitor has a typo on line 15. It should be: pup-volume-monitor-starter
Oh yes it is.

I have fixed the precise pet.

mavrothal

#98 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote:
mavrothal wrote: On Upup works fine but fails to update icons when a new removable is inserted. I remember this was also a problem in (the now removed) ArchPup. You need to restart pup-volume-monitor and desktop_drive_icons to see the new drives.
udev events aren't reaching pup-volume-monitor. Check whether
udev is running, and udev rules file (/etc/udev/rules.d/50-pup-volume-monitor.rules) is actually used.
Right.
Trying to get rid of the last pup_even drive icon, I had actually inactivated hotplug support in eventmanager, that also kills udevd :oops:

akash_rawal

#99 Post by akash_rawal »

pup-volume-monitor updated to 0.1.12
Changes:
  • Fixed persisting drive icons in gtk filechooser when daemon crashes
  • Fixed incorrect signal emissions when a mounted drive is removed
  • Removed the starter script pup-volume-monitor-starter. Now pup-volume-monitor-admin --start is used to start the daemon.
  • Fixed event logging to log files.
  • Now registers as a native volume monitor, fixes conflicts with Jemimah's glib patch. Export PUP_VOLUME_MONITOR_NO_NATIVE=1 to revert to original behavior.
desktop-drive-icons updated to 0.0.4
Changes:
  • Fixed 'division by 0' error when no drives are connected
Last edited by akash_rawal on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

Re: Desktop-drive-icons

#100 Post by mavrothal »

The desktop_drive_icons-0.0.4 link point to desktop_drive_icons-0.0.3.tar.gz.
desktop_drive_icons-0.0.4.tar.gz can be found in the "older versions" :)

However, after getting it and compiling it still fails to run in Precise. Any hope there?

akash_rawal

#101 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote: The desktop_drive_icons-0.0.4 link point to desktop_drive_icons-0.0.3.tar.gz.
desktop_drive_icons-0.0.4.tar.gz can be found in the "older versions" :)
Thanks to catch the mistake. Had been in hurry.

The link has been corrected.
mavrothal wrote: However, after getting it and compiling it still fails to run in Precise. Any hope there?
If you are referring to the same 'two different plugins' problem you need the original glib. Compile and install an appropriate version from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glib/

You can use pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0 to find correct version of glib to download.

mavrothal

#102 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote: If you are referring to the same 'two different plugins' problem you need the original glib. Compile and install an appropriate version from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glib/
Actually installing BK's z_glib_fix-2.32.3-orig-precise540-i686.pet and you slacko pets in Precise-5.5, works just fine :D

The only problem I have is that Y offset "-40" appears to be hard coded somewhere and even if /root/.config/desktop_drive_icons/config.ini has a different value (other settings in config.ini are "respected"). It can be changed and will adjust the position of the drivers but on re-launch will be -40 again :?

peebee

Difference 0.1.11 versus 0.1.12

#103 Post by peebee »

Hi

I am using p-v-m very succesfully with lxde/pcmanfm on top of slacko5.5 and other puppies....

However I have found a difference in behaviour between version 0.1.11 and the latest 0.1.12

The difference occurs when mounting a Samba network share with Yassm.

With 0.1.11 the share appears in the bookmark area of pcmanfm on mount - see screenie attached

With 0.1.12 the mount occurs and can be accessed from pcmanfm but no bookmark appears so the share cannot be unmounted from pcmanfm

Is this a deliberate change in behaviour? Hope not.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture14815.png
(39.46 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

akash_rawal

#104 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote:The only problem I have is that Y offset "-40" appears to be hard coded somewhere and even if /root/.config/desktop_drive_icons/config.ini has a different value (other settings in config.ini are "respected"). It can be changed and will adjust the position of the drivers but on re-launch will be -40 again :?
desktop-drive-icons updated to version 0.0.5
Changes:
  • Fixed a typo in src/settings.c, affecting saving of X and Y offsets in config file.(Thanks mavrothal)
Last edited by akash_rawal on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

akash_rawal

Re: Difference 0.1.11 versus 0.1.12

#105 Post by akash_rawal »

peebee wrote:Hi

I am using p-v-m very succesfully with lxde/pcmanfm on top of slacko5.5 and other puppies....

However I have found a difference in behaviour between version 0.1.11 and the latest 0.1.12

The difference occurs when mounting a Samba network share with Yassm.

With 0.1.11 the share appears in the bookmark area of pcmanfm on mount - see screenie attached

With 0.1.12 the mount occurs and can be accessed from pcmanfm but no bookmark appears so the share cannot be unmounted from pcmanfm

Is this a deliberate change in behaviour? Hope not.

Cheers
peebee
Looks like I didn't know GLib's default mount monitor that pup-volume-monitor-0.1.12 overrides, shows samba shares also.

Just for confirmation, does the problem disappear when you start pcmanfm with environment variable PUP_VOLUME_MONITOR_NO_NATIVE=1, like:

killall pcmanfm
export PUP_VOLUME_MONITOR_NO_NATIVE=1
pcmanfm -p LXDE --desktop &
disown
If it does I'll invert environment variable control in next version.

I had done that because I noticed that with Jemimah's patch mounted drives are shown twice in file manager.

peebee

#106 Post by peebee »

akash_rawal wrote:Looks like I didn't know GLib's default mount monitor that pup-volume-monitor-0.1.12 overrides, shows samba shares also.

Just for confirmation, does the problem disappear when you start pcmanfm with environment variable PUP_VOLUME_MONITOR_NO_NATIVE=1, like:

killall pcmanfm
disown
If it does I'll invert environment variable control in next version.

I had done that because I noticed that with Jemimah's patch mounted drives are shown twice in file manager.
Hi

I wondered if that might be the cause....I'd rather have 2 removable drives showing than no Samba share...

I'll try your "experiment" when I can - might be a couple of days....

Thanks for your help and for all your work on p-v-m

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

#107 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote: desktop-drive-icons updated to version 0.1.5
I do not know about version 0.1.5, but version 0.0.5 works fine :)

akash_rawal

#108 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote:
akash_rawal wrote: desktop-drive-icons updated to version 0.1.5
I do not know about version 0.1.5, but version 0.0.5 works fine :)
Looks as if its my mind that needs debugging. Haven't I made too many mistakes by now? :oops: :)

peebee

#109 Post by peebee »

peebee wrote:

killall pcmanfm
disown
I'll try your "experiment" when I can - might be a couple of days....

Thanks for your help and for all your work on p-v-m

Cheers
peebee
Hi

Retried p-v-m 0.1.12 but with startlxde patched to add

just before lxsession start.

Previous behaviour is re-established - all devices mounted at startup have just 1 bookmark, Samba share through Yassm also has a single bookmark and can be dismounted from within pcmanfm, any other devices mounted have 2 bookmarks with slightly different icons....

see 0.1.12 with patch screenie attached

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture28839.png
(48.03 KiB) Downloaded 1468 times

akash_rawal

#110 Post by akash_rawal »

pup-volume-monitor updated to version 0.1.13
Changes:
  • Inverted environment variable control over overriding native volume monitor. Now export PUP_VOLUME_MONITOR_BE_NATIVE=1 to override native volume monitor.
I wish there was some way of customizing the behavior of Glib's built-in mount monitor so that it wouldn't show only mounted volumes. But this doesn't seem to be possible without modifying GLib.