pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
goingnuts

#106 Post by goingnuts »

Do not know about the wifi-driver thing...If driver present and recognized (including firmware drivers) they are normally loaded during boot...If the extra driver are not present at boot but installed after boot they might not be picked up - but unsure how to get you further there. I think if the right drivers are loaded ifconfig/iwconfig will give you some response...
I have the SNS--retro working with pupngo2012 on an asus eeepc900 and on stationary pc with usb-zd1211 wireless-stick. Also the wired network adapters on both machines are recognized and connected.

For blinky add the below to /root/.jwmrc-tray

Code: Select all

<Swallow name="blinky">
blinky -bg "#DCDAD5"
</Swallow>
just after the pmfree swallow line

technosaurus

#107 Post by technosaurus »

if anyone is looking to do a no-rox version, I wrote some C that checks file extension and gives you the MIME-type:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80916
These are the ones that (by default - not necessarily in pet packages) are semicolon separated in .desktop files as
MimeType=application/vnd.ms-asf;application/vnd.rn-realmedia;...

You can just grep `mimetype $filename` /usr/share/applications/*.desktop to find which programs can run it.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

greengeek

#108 Post by greengeek »

starhawk wrote: /dev/wlan0 doesn't exist so that may be part of the issue.
Does it maybe show up as an ethx instead of wlanx?

technosaurus

#109 Post by technosaurus »

it could be ath0 on this older kernel too, may be a good time to try a later LTS kernel (2.6.32?)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

starhawk

#110 Post by starhawk »

All that shows up is lo. No eth0, no wlan0, and no ath0.

...of note, the Dell C600 (it's xvesa friendly ;) ) I used this time has no ethernet connector IIRC. (The CPi doesn't either.)

I think we need a copy of the "wireless module loader/tester" from Classic Network Wizard. I'd say port the whole thing over... but it's a goodly bit bigger, to say the least.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if it's one single script or a collection. I suspect one single script, which will make lifting out the loader-tester portion that much harder. I'd have to go looking to be sure tho.

greengeek

#111 Post by greengeek »

starhawk wrote:All that shows up is lo. No eth0, no wlan0, and no ath0.
What responses do you get to the following commands:

ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth1 up
ifconfig wlan0 up

and does "ifconfig" show any change after each of those? Also, goingnuts suggested to me to "Try to look in /tmp/interfaces to view what interfaces was found". Does that contain any info? If not, does anything show there after you try to run the wireless manager wizard?

starhawk

#112 Post by starhawk »

ifconfig [device] universally returns:

ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device

/tmp/interfaces does not exist, as a file or directory. /tmp/ has a number of files, but the only directory is /tmp/.X11 . (I assume it is not to be a file? There isn't one with that name anyways.)

greengeek

#113 Post by greengeek »

starhawk wrote:ifconfig [device] universally returns:

ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
Is the behaviour identical depending on whether you boot with the usb network adapter already installed, compared to if you plug it in after boot?

Any chance of plugging in a pcmcia network card to compare results?

starhawk

#114 Post by starhawk »

Burnt a closed CD, and this laptop does not have a hard drive -- and it has only one USB port, and my experience with pUPnGO is that it does not like hubs. So no savefile.

I could remaster it with Woofy to include the pet so that I could boot with it like that, but I'm getting low on CD-Rs (again) and the local stores do not sell -RW discs :(

So the in-there-at-boot-time test will have to wait.

As for your other question... I do have an old Prism2 card out of a router that I can try... it's Wifi "b" rather than "g" but I don't think it'll slow the entire network to a crawl if I use it... just the one connection. Let me go see if I can find it, and I will try it. That I *can* install before booting.

EDIT: nada. Although I may have an idea of the issue... the SNS shell script (as carried over into SNS-Retro) references a file I did not know about listed as /etc/simple_network_setup/connections . I will try to hunt down this file and see if adding that in fixes things.

EDIT: looks like /etc/simple_network_setup/connections is /generated/ by SNS. Either way, copying it over from Puplite 5 does not appear to affect anything. My best guess is that there is some module-chaining not going on. Perhaps modules.dep is not being properly altered with the drivers sfs? (I suspect this because I ran into some errors with that while trying to manually load various modules.)

goingnuts

#115 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk: You really are working hard on this! Sorry the network does not turn out as we hoped - I looked into the traditional network-setup script but it might not solve the problem to port it - and it will be a huge work to do. I don't think there was a "pUPnGO-2012-compliant" sticker on your hardware when you got it... :)
I will try to cut out the module loading/testing part from the old network setup script but it might take a while before I can post it...
Do you have a USB-wireless adapter? If so it might be worth a try...

starhawk

#116 Post by starhawk »

First three attempts were with USB "cards" (dongles).

Netgear WG111v3 = rtl8187
Rosewill* RNX-N150UBE = r8712u
Rosewill* RNX-EasyN1 = rt2800usb

PCMCIA/Cardbus cards...
Gemtek WL-216C** = hostap / orinoco ***
Belkin F5D7010v8 = ath5k / madwifi #

* Rosewill is the generic 'store brand' of Newegg[dot]com.
** This card is from a D-Link router. A friend gave me the card; apparently it was not the cause of his router's demise.
*** Tried both drivers, no go.
# Madwifi (ath_pci) does not load in pUPnGO, complains that ath_pci is not found in modules.dep -- editing that file to fix, causes other different errors (probably loading/chaining modules in wrong order so it errors out).

All driver information from WikiDevi. They have some REALLY nice and useful info!

One other thing: rc.pcmcia might be faulty -- I had problems with a USB hub cardbus card at one point -- just that it wouldn't recognize. I blamed it at the time on the fact that it was during my one USB boot, BUT we might have a problem there after all. (Or not. I don't know for sure!)

Keef

#117 Post by Keef »

starhawk
Might be a firmware problem. Try running the firmware installer from the menu.
If no joy, try unpacking the tarball in /lib/modules/all-firmware/ AND putting the firmware files in /lib/firmware/###/
Then stand on one leg, rub your belly and sing "My Old Man's a Dustman" in Kurdish.
YMMV
[/b]

starhawk

#118 Post by starhawk »

You're funny!

What the heck does that firmware-installer do that modprobe doesn't?

Keef

#119 Post by Keef »

Sometimes firmware does not get installed properly - don't really know why, and it is not exclusive to pupngo. I had problems with my pcmcia card which use the b43 module.
If the firmware installer does not identify your module, check
/etc/modules/firmware.dep.2.6.25.16, and see if it is listed. It can be added manually if needed. But you may have to practice your Kurdish...

greengeek

#120 Post by greengeek »

starhawk - When you insert/remove your wireless interfaces do you see those changes reflected in Dmesg? Also, I guess the pcmcia interfaces may be detected differently depending on whether the port is set for cardbus or 16bit - does your bios offer any control of that?

I tried a variety of wireless adapters last night in case I could offer any useful fragments of info and the results I got varied quite a bit. Of course my hardware is different to yours (this testing was with a 10 year old Tosh laptop but I'm hoping to try a Dell Latitude cpt later in the week..)

(In case it is relevant my md5 is: 417baa52faaa023e4637130741d64bdc pUPnGO_V412_160612.iso)

Heres what I got:

1) I do get your "ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device" error if an interface is not able to be detected for some reason. Sometimes a hotplug got me past this.

2) The /tmp/interfaces file that goingnuts got me to check is not always there. It only showed up after I ran the wireless manager and clicked "connect". If there was a useable interface that the wireless manager recognised it would create the /tmp/interfaces file. The name given to that wireless interface would be different for different cards. Some cards would be referred to as eth1 and some as wlan0.

Wireless lan adapters I tried in pUPnGO:

EDUP usb adapter ED-1296 uses zd1211rw .Detected ok at boot and/or after boot. Detects as wlan0 via wireless manager. (also brings up a "wmaster0-oo showing in ifconfig). (This one took a bit of mucking around to successfully pick up an IP - had to manually run dhcpcd then rerun wireless manager). Websurfing ok.

Dick Smith XH6821 pcmcia adapter uses rtl8180vF + GCT. Detected as wlan0 and worked via wireless manager. Detected ok during boot. Have not yet tried hot plug after boot. Websurfing ok.

Actiontec Orinoco "Prism I" pcmcia adapter uses orinoco_cs. Detected ok at boot. Detects as eth1 via wireless manager. Got SIOCSIxxxx errors when try to connect. This pcmcia card came out of a wireless router so maybe somewhat different? Keeps repeatedly saying it is waiting for IP address to be issued. Couldn't surf web.

Compex WavePort WL11A+ pcmcia adapter. Dmesg was aware of card being inserted and removed but wireless manager did not detect and no relevant module seemed to be loaded. (Got a feeling I saw a note somewhere that this needs special treatment before it becomes visible. Maybe firmware). Couldnt surf web.

3com 3CRWE154G72 pcmcia adapter. Did not detect during boot, but did detect after hotplug. Showed up as "p54: LM86 firmware (seems to be a cardbus card). Wireless manager was able to bring this up as wlan0 and could surf web fine.

Inbuilt Intel 2200/2915ABG wireless card. Uses ipw2200. Detects as eth1. Wireless manager cant make it work but I can make it work via cli. Web surfing fine.

I don't understand why some cards cause a "wmaster" to be found/set up and others don't.

Anyway, here are some pics:
Attachments
actiontec orinoco SIOCSI errors.jpg
SIOC errors on ex-router wireless pcmcia
(59.68 KiB) Downloaded 882 times
eths and wlan and wmaster detected.jpg
Several interfaces detected at once
(129.83 KiB) Downloaded 888 times
wireless manager ioctl error but still connect.jpg
Connection ok even after some errors
(28.31 KiB) Downloaded 929 times

bark_bark_bark

#121 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Do you think I can run this on a PS2 under bochs (bochs for ps2 can only use 20MB) or do I need the original pupngo.

starhawk

#122 Post by starhawk »

If you're talking an actual IBM Personal System 2... you'll want to know that Linux cannot natively run on anything older than a 386 CPU (mostly because that's what Linus Torvalds was using at the time of Linux's creation).

Those systems used some very strange hardware, even by modern Dell and Compaq standards (ever been inside an Optiplex? yeah, like that). IF you have a model with an IDE hard drive, you MAY be able to up the capacity and do stuff with it. If yours is one of the models that has the "ESDI" interface (I've never heard of it either, but it's a cardedge connector with the power lines built in) then you're just kinda screwed... UNLESS you can put down some sort of bootloader that will (not kidding here) let you boot off an antique SCSI disk -- and that assumes you have or can get a working SCSI disk old enough to work with it! (It doesn't help that SCSI has like a couple dozen flavors.)

If you've a 286 or earlier, as they say in New York: fagheddaboudditt. Really, the same goes if you've got one of those weird drives. It's a heck of a lot easier than trying to rig up some sort of bootloader scheme. Particularly since, with hardware that old, you'll probably have to code it yourself.

bark_bark_bark

#123 Post by bark_bark_bark »

starhawk wrote:If you're talking an actual IBM Personal System 2...
No I am talking about a Sony Playstation 2 (modified to use homebrew).

technosaurus

#124 Post by technosaurus »

"size doesn't matter" in your case, you have the wrong equipment... But you could probably recompile for the 64-bit "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294.912 MHz (launch), 299 MHz (newer models) processor. Even on a 1.6ghz CPU emulation is sluggish.

greengeek

#125 Post by greengeek »

Ok, don't slay me for being stupid, but I wanted to see if a word processor would work on this pUPnGO so here is what I tried: I downloaded Softmaker Freeoffice (which they've just made available free) and installed it into the necessary /usr directories (which works in puppy 412 Lite) and tried to run the Textmaker file but nothing happened. So then I did a cd /usr/share/freeoffice and typed "textmaker" but it told me the file was not found. I typed "ls" and I can see the textmaker file in that directory, so don't understand why it says not found. The Softmaker stuff seems to be lightweight and reliable so I'd like to get them working on pUPnGO if it's possible. I could understand it if I got errors when I type "textmaker" in the terminal, but why not found? What am I missing?