A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
greengeek

#151 Post by greengeek »

goingnuts wrote:And here is a new Xorg-pack with everything coming from P412
Install via "pkginstall.sh pupngo_xorg_pack_412.pet"
exit to prompt
run "xorgwizard"
start x again by "xwin"
If everything works you should be in Xorg.
Do not run the xorgwizard from within X as it will fail - only from command prompt.
Hi goingnuts, do you still have that xorg pack? I tried to download but it seems to have gone from the 4ceedeca server.

goingnuts

#152 Post by goingnuts »

Ibidem: Thanks for the scripts & explanations!
starhawk: Thanks for the pointer - I was not aware...
greengeek: Re-uploaded the pupngo_xorg_pack_412.pet here

As for the wifi-things - anyone tried the sns-retro?

greengeek

#153 Post by greengeek »

Thanks for the xorg pet - I will be having a tinker with that over the next few weeks.

Just tried the sns-retro in a live CD session and it works perfectly for me on a Toshiba TE2100 laptop with intel wireless (2915ABG I seem to remember, but not 100% sure). Haven't tried it yet in an installed session.

The pet loads the sns-retro program to /bin.

greengeek

#154 Post by greengeek »

Couldn't wait - had to try the xorg pet this morning. It installs easily and worked well. All I had to do was as Starhawk suggested and change the xorg.conf file to reflect my 1024x768 resolution. I did notice that console fonts are very bad when xorg is running. (although other onscreen fonts are fine).
EDIT:ok I see the fonts were already noted here:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=91

Most importantly, this pet allows Freeoffice to run now (no more xRender initialise fault). I tried using the Freeoffice Textmaker and made a one page document with text and an inserted image, and saved it as .doc and also exported as pdf. Both worked fine. Very happy. More indepth tests later.

Heres the bad console fonts:
Attachments
xorg pet console font bad.png
Fonts within console are bad but other fonts onscreen (desktop and rox) are good
(19.08 KiB) Downloaded 781 times

greengeek

#155 Post by greengeek »

technosaurus wrote:You can "remaster" any squashfs by mounting it
mount pup.sfs /dir
The copying its contents
cp -arf /dir /newdir
Add files to /newdir and
dir2sfs newdir
Check out my manual remaster howto in the howto section.
I've just had a read through your guide and it seems I need to manually add the extra pet files etc into the original sfs. However I thought I had already achieved that by adding the pets etc into my running system (and therefore into the savefile at shutdown time). Why is it not possible/easy to automatically "merge" the savefile into the original sfs?

If I'm mounting the old sfs to manually graft the new files into it can I also mount my savefile and just copy across the files I need from there instead of starting again with turning the pets into tgz etc and copying them in?

technosaurus

#156 Post by technosaurus »

greengeek wrote:Why is it not possible/easy to automatically "merge" the savefile into the original sfs?

If I'm mounting the old sfs to manually graft the new files into it can I also mount my savefile and just copy across the files I need from there instead of starting again with turning the pets into tgz etc and copying them in?
you _can_, but I wouldn't recommend it especially if you plan to redistribute it. Your save file contains save data and other personal info and system specific settings. I wrote an alternative remaster wizard a few years back that allowed such mischief, but it is impossible to to know all the dumb stuff a user will do, so I decided to let that ill conceived idea bit rot.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

greengeek

#157 Post by greengeek »

technosaurus wrote:so I decided to let that ill conceived idea bit rot.
Thanks. Point taken :)

Keef

wpa_cli & wpa_supplicant

#158 Post by Keef »

Ibidem

Tried those scripts and it works perfectly. First tried it on Wary (clean frugal install, but no worries about having to install driver or firmware), and now running from pUPnGO12.

Ibidem

#159 Post by Ibidem »

Keef: glad to hear that it worked.

goingnuts: do you think that the udhcpc script and (especially this part) the wpa_cli trick might be useful for sns-retro?
This would replace the "sleep 1" loop parsing the output of wpa_cli around lines 110-115 in rc.network.

maddox

#160 Post by maddox »

test bed hp xe4100 laptop 1.2Ghz 792Mb ram fr-ch-latin1 kbd, yea a fast laptop to test under these circumstances.
/var/log/messages -> pupngo user.warn kernel: Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1
fixed by modprobe nls_iso8859-1 (btw is nls_cp437 built into the kernel? not displayed in lsmod output)
I then ran modprobe nls_cp850 as certain fr/be/nl/ch/ca/latin users require it (accents/translations).

pupngo -> default res 800x600x16 (global 'fixed' font renders badly, some chars are partially bold jwm/apps/console)
fixed by changing res to 1024x768x16 using the 'setresolution.sh'

plugged in a usb stick with some mp3 songs
partitions were correctly detected (fast), clicked on song to play in rox .. nothing
looked in 'mime-types' defaultaudioplayer , looked in /usr/local/bin.. doesn't exist
ran menu audiovideo .. audio player -> xhippo 3.5 : dragged file to xhippo, clicked on file in xhippo, wow sound

another test bed acer laptop t508 500Mhz 378M ram
default res 800x600x16, like someone else, pink screen but bearly readable (pink with black lines through the text)
running setresolution.sh
I need to write down the resolutions as I can't correctly see what's displayed on the screen: complete white/green/yelow/black and try them 1 by 1
maybe I could try -swaprgb (or something like that) as an extra xvesa option

starhawk

#161 Post by starhawk »

I'm the "someone else" you mention, maddox ;)

Your problem is that you're running Xvesa already -- on something that isn't quite compatible. There is a minimal-Xorg pet in this thread, which is what you need to use. Install it from the CLI (ctrl+alt+bksp BEFORE you try to install using pkginstall.sh) or it'll bungle things up quite severely...

goingnuts

#162 Post by goingnuts »

Ibidem: I will look into it - thanks!

maddox: Thanks for reporting and testing! I haven't spend too much time with the ROX-mime-config-actions but glad to hear that xhippo works. I have attached the dot.config used to build the kernel - and yes - nls_cp437 is build in...
The kernel was build from the official patched kernel-sources for P412 (linux-2.6.25.16-src-patched_squashfs_unionfs_aufs_lzma_mt.tar.gz) but with additional patches (cant be specific as my notes are gone so if needed I will have to reconstruct how to build it).

starhawk: I cant remember...but did you test the Xfbdev?

Wondering if any of the additional Xvesa flags would help on the pink colours - the -swaprgb switch seems worth to try? From the Xvesa man:
NAME
Xvesa - VESA Bios Extensions tiny X server

SYNOPSIS
Xvesa [:display] [option...]

DESCRIPTION
Xvesa is a generic X server for Linux on the x86 platform. Xvesa doesn't know about any particular hardware, and sets the video mode by running the video BIOS in VM86 mode. Xvesa can use both standard VGA BIOS modes and any modes advertised by a VESA BIOS if available. Xvesa runs untrusted code with full privileges, and is therefore a fairly insecure X server. Run at your own risk.

OPTIONS
In addition to the normal KDrive server's options (see Xkdrive(1)), Xvesa accepts the following command line switches: -mode n specifies the VESA video mode to use. If mode n is not supported by your BIOS and hardware, Xvesa will fail, hang your system, or cause your monitor to explode; you are on your own. This option overrides any -screen options.

-listmodes
list all supported video modes. If -force was specified before -listmodes, lists all the modes that your BIOS claims to support, even those that the Xvesa server won't be able to use.

-force
disable some sanity checks and use the specified mode even if the BIOS claims not to support it.

-shadow
use a shadow framebuffer even if it is not strictly necessary. This may dramatically improve performance on some hardware.

-nolinear
don't use a linear framebuffer even if one is available. You don't want to use this option.

-swaprgb
pass RGB values in the order that works on broken BIOSes. Use this if the colours are wrong in PseudoColor and 16 colour modes.

-verbose
emit diagnostic messages during BIOS initialization and tear down.

starhawk

#163 Post by starhawk »

goingnuts, I'll be honest, I don't remember either. I want to say that Xfbdev didn't work for me... but I can't recall.

Just curious, how did you lose your notes?

@maddox: even if Xfbdev didn't work for me, you should try it -- we have different machines. Mine is/was (currently on vacation from tinkering) a Dell Latitude CPi that's slower than yours. I don't know what graphics you have on your Acer, but the CPi has a NeoMagic card of some sort.

goingnuts

#164 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk wrote:goingnuts, I'll be honest, I don't remember either. I want to say that Xfbdev didn't work for me... but I can't recall.
Just curious, how did you lose your notes?
OK thanks - would be nice to know if its the pupngo Xvesa-build that is the problem or if its the Xvesa in general...
The notes was lost after a crashed savefile. Now and then I manage to crash the main savefile - I got the patched kernelsource alright but no notes from that period.
Ever tried to run a script containing "rm -rf /$SOME_UNSET_VARIABLE"? Do not!
Edit: After looking at my source-collection from that time I can see that at least I patched the kernel with aufs-0+20080719 - and as far as I can see it might be the only additional patch applied.

starhawk

#165 Post by starhawk »

goingnuts -- very n00bish question here, BUT...

I thought that the savefile could sort of fix itself? I'm told that one can mount an unbootable ("corrupt") savefile while running from RAM, copy over everything that needs saving, and then unmount/overwrite the old (broken) savefile with a new one that works, without losing a thing.

...or am I mistaken?

Ibidem

#166 Post by Ibidem »

starhawk wrote: I thought that the savefile could sort of fix itself? I'm told that one can mount an unbootable ("corrupt") savefile while running from RAM, copy over everything that needs saving, and then unmount/overwrite the old (broken) savefile with a new one that works, without losing a thing.

...or am I mistaken?
All depends on what the problem is.
If you crash it the way goingnuts did, you're lucky if anything's left.

greengeek

#167 Post by greengeek »

- goingnuts:I am tinkering with the xorg pet on different machines and tried manually grafting it into the filesystem (no real success yet) and have a couple of questions:
1) When I use the pupngo pet installer the xorg pet works properly, even though the X11 folder within the pet is labelled x11r7 (lower case). However, after the installer does it's work the files are in the X11R7 folder. How does this happen? I see no pinstall file to guide it?
2) After the installer has run, the libs from the pet are in their expected places, but there are also symlinks ponting to the new libs. How did those symlinks get there? How does "it" know how to name those symlinks correctly? Again I see no pinstall file to guide things. I do see a petspecs file but it does not give me any clues.
??

goingnuts

#168 Post by goingnuts »

My best guess is that your extract of the pet file is "buggy"...The pet contains the symlinks - and the X11R7 is with capital letters...

greengeek

#169 Post by greengeek »

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. In order to extract the pet files I am changing the suffix to tar.gz and clicking on it, and I can see all of the symlinks listed there in the archiver, but when I extract the files none of the symlinks get extracted. I notice a | in front of the permissions list for each of the symlinks, but all the other files just have a -
Seems as if i am needing to change my system permissions somehow in order to be permitted to extract those symlinks?? or maybe use a cli command and some special arg to extract all??

EDIT: google tells me the first letter | is actually an "ell" and means the file type is "link", so not significant in terms of my problem I guess.

EDIT again: Turns out I needed to do the extraction within the /root folder. Not on another partition. Not sure why. All good now.
Attachments
symlink permissions.png
(24.92 KiB) Downloaded 957 times

goingnuts

#170 Post by goingnuts »

greengeek - nice you made it work.

I am still uncertain if the "pink"-screen on some reported hardware is due to pupngo Xvesa or Xvesa in general. I have cut out a Xvesa from micropuppy which could be an option to test. Also included the programs xcompmgr and transset witch works with the micromuppy Xvesa and gives window-shadows, fade-in/out and transparent windows - view attached image. Its quite cool actually - wonder which Xvesa version is used and how it was configured...Download Xvesa_micromuppy.