pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Keef

QTWeb needed libs

#271 Post by Keef »

Here you go...
(libgobject-2.0.so.0.1400.2 plus a symlink) Taken from 412.
Attachments
qtweb_libs.tar.gz
(51.83 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

starhawk

#272 Post by starhawk »

Great, now I don't have to mess around with Seamonkey.

One last request, and that should be it for a while. Is there a way to show network status in the JWM tray? NOT having that is a real bother indeed!

goingnuts

#273 Post by goingnuts »

Maybe this one will do... :)

starhawk

#274 Post by starhawk »

Thanks!

Going to make a fresh savefile, something weird's going on -- I have no idea why, but bash can't find the QtWeb binary. ls show's it's there (in green) so bash should be able to open it, but it won't.

Whatever. "We can rebuild him"... lol.

Keef

#275 Post by Keef »

I feel your pain....
After a reboot QtWeb stated complaining about a missing libjpeg. It was working fine before.
It's about time I started from scratch again. Lost track of what I installed myself, and what was already there.

Also, just for the sake of it, here is a little CLI typing tutor called "Repeat After Me" from http://litcave.rudi.ir/. Just copy what's on screen (random characters), and it gives speed and accuracy results at the end.
To keep it in pupngo stylee, it is statically compiled (with Musl), and it is about the limit of my capabilites so far. Keeps me off the streets anyway.
There is also a little CLI mp3 player on that site called minmad, which might be of interest - only 6380B stripped when compiled dynamically.
Attachments
ram.gz
Repeat After Me - CLI typing exercise (not really a tutor) Remove the .gz
(16.88 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

starhawk

#276 Post by starhawk »

QtWeb needs libjpeg (as you discovered) and libpng.

starhawk

#277 Post by starhawk »

Still having the problem of rxvt not seeing QtWeb. This is particularly problematic since I now can't figure out what symlinks I need to create to make it run!

I think I'm just going to reformat the CF card "HDD" and reinstall. Could be problems because the card is ext3 instead of ext2...

greengeek

#278 Post by greengeek »

Did you try the ./QtWeb syntax?

Sounds similar to the problem Keef helped me with here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=126
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

#279 Post by technosaurus »

starhawk wrote:Is there a way to show network status in the JWM tray?
depending on what info you need we could adapt goingnuts' pnmmon for that, though it has been a while since I have played with inotify directly (after I found out glib/gio has a wrapper)... I wonder though if it would be better to take a look at jwm traybuttons (for the icon part) and the clock (because it changes) to add something similar to my "sit" program (simple icon tray) ... I don't know if Joe W. would be open to it though since inotify is linux specific AFAIK and I think some of the bsds keep a port (maybe if we could ifdef it?). The great part is that the latest jwm has svg support (though it adds cairo/rsvg dependency) which makes for much simpler tray applet construction.

RE: flash7 masquerading as flash11 ... you can as long as you are ok with a full crash if a site _actually_ requires flash8+ (this includes ewetoob) because that mozilla tree never got the plugin sandbox code (don't ask me to backport it though ... their source tree is ridiculous to navigate because it is large, unorganized and poorly named and the code is C++ which though not ideal is even more of a PITA because of the environment it is in - I swear the mozilla devs must have a meticulously tweaked IDE just to find the right headers .... though I think ttuuxxx was stubborn enough to brave those waters when he did firedog - it would be cool if he did a blog post or something on that experience)

Re: Opera
If anyone wants a nice light-ish browser/ftp/email/torrent client the Opera that I had posted was 9.27, but other static qt versio ... x86.tar.gz
http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/61 ... 86.tar.bz2
http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/75 ... en.tar.bz2
http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/85 ... en.tar.bz2
http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/92 ... en.tar.bz2
http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/96 ... 86.tar.bz2

@greengeek
wjaguar has patched recent versions of mtpaint to use up to 92 colors (vs. the former 64) so you can just use the latest release now (instead of the hacky patch I came up with)... On a side note I recent did some comparison between indexed png and xpm images and if the xpms are xz compressed (as on recent versions of squash) then they are ~5% smaller than the equivalent pngs

side note:
I've been working with the 3.8 kernel because it now has an added syscall called finit_module that will make it 10x easier to load modules in init from C (still need to figure out pthreads though so I can load modules in parallel with X starting), but the xz compressed squash and better arm support is also nice. ... This is for my own init replacement (yaknow - cuz there ain't enough already) that only does exactly what is passed on the kernel command line.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

starhawk

#280 Post by starhawk »

Well, if EwwwwwTube (lol) requires a minimum of Flash8, why not hack Flash8 to report itself as Flash11...? ;)

Your first Opera link has a broken [ url ] tag ;)

EDIT: technosaurus, could you provide me with a libpthread.so suitable for that last Opera link, the 9.64 version? I can symlink as needed. It also complains (but ignores) that libjvm.so and libawt.so are missing.

Regarding the network tray icon -- something that shows that one is connected, and blinks occasionally on data transfer, would be about right -- sort of like in mainline Puppies. More specifically, it needs to show --
(1) connected but idle status (connected but no transfer)
(2) disconnected status
(3) connected "busy" status (connected and transferring data)
It would be nice (but not necessary) if there were further indication for --
(4) attempting to connect but not fully connected yet

Some sort of non-optical-media-centric music player (MP3/MIDI/WAV/etc) would be nice as well, since xhippo is mute.

Also, is there a way to get pUPnGO to play a sound at startup? I found and tried a PET called PStartupShutdownSound (phew) but it didn't work. It's for 431 and later only, apparently :(

goingnuts

#281 Post by goingnuts »

depending on what info you need we could adapt goingnuts' pnmmon for that, though it has been a while since I have played with inotify directly (after I found out glib/gio has a wrapper)... I wonder though if it would be better to take a look at jwm traybuttons (for the icon part) and the clock (because it changes) to add something similar to my "sit" program (simple icon tray) ... I don't know if Joe W. would be open to it though since inotify is linux specific AFAIK and I think some of the bsds keep a port (maybe if we could ifdef it?). The great part is that the latest jwm has svg support (though it adds cairo/rsvg dependency) which makes for much simpler tray applet construction.
jwm-0.21 did have a build-in xload tray-thing beside clock - might be worth looking at that for a start. Can the svg be adapted to gtk1? (it is my impression that svg-support are linked to gtk2 but I might be total wrong)

starhawk: did you try to use mpg123/minimp3 to play mp3? xhippo it self holds no player but depends on external players so if one of the two actually give you some sound xhippo can be fixed...
As for startup sound place a script as below in /root/Startup

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
wavplay /usr/share/audio/justonemoment.wav
minimp3 /usr/share/audio/dog_bark.mp3
cat /usr/share/audio/2barks.au > /dev/audio 2> /dev/null &
Keef: thats a nice little gem (ram)! And a nice link to some potentially very useful apps - thanks.

starhawk

#282 Post by starhawk »

mpg123 and minimp3 are completely mute as well :( no errors in console, just no sound.

EDIT: wavplay doesn't work, either. Hmmm...

starhawk

#283 Post by starhawk »

starhawk wrote:technosaurus, could you provide me with a libpthread.so suitable for that last Opera link, the 9.64 version? I can symlink as needed. It also complains (but ignores) that libjvm.so and libawt.so are missing.
Still need this, badly.

goingnuts

#284 Post by goingnuts »

Attached alsamixer - I do not know if it really helps but you might be able to view/adjust some of your sound-devices...
Another thing to try is
mpg123 -os,-ol,-oh output to built-in speaker,line-out connector,headphones
Also attached a static version of minmad referenced by Keef and aplay which is mentioned here (Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide)...

And the libpthread.so (fresh cut-out from greengeek´s newly posted iso...)
Attachments
libpthread-2.6.1.so.gz
fake .gz
(73.03 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
minmad.gz
fake .gz - static minmad mp3 player
(97.51 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
aplay.gz
fake .gz - static build of aplay
(178.41 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

Keef

#285 Post by Keef »

Starhawk

The simplest way to get a 'woof' on startup, is to put a script into the Startup folder. Something like this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
minimp3 /usr/share/audio/bark_bark.mp3
Assuming you've got minimp3 and a doggy mp3 file of course.
(Techno's minimp3 package has all you need).

Thats what the longwinded pet you mentioned before does, but with a GUI to turn it on or off, and to select the sound file.

[EDIT] Durr... don't know I missed the previous posts that already said this.
Last edited by Keef on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

#286 Post by technosaurus »

goingnuts wrote:jwm-0.21 did have a build-in xload tray-thing beside clock - might be worth looking at that for a start. Can the svg be adapted to gtk1? (it is my impression that svg-support are linked to gtk2 but I might be total wrong)
IIRC as long as you build gdk-pixbuf and then librsvg (the module is in the librsvg package itself instead of gdkpixbuf) I'll have to check.

Re: tray apps ... maybe we are going about this all wrong - how about swallowing a gtkdialog1 app? ... it could monitor network, battery, volume, cpu, temperature, memory, savefile, weather, stock ticker, (this can be set by a single awk script) ... all in one (configurable) applet this would cut resource usage by only using one binary and also speed up loading of gtkdialog (because there is already a hot copy in ram)

That reminds me that I wanted to look into a way to allow running only a single instance of gtkdialog. I think if maybe we set up a pipe and use stdin as the gtkdialog input attached to that pipe it would be do-able from a while loop that just monitors a directory/file for new gtkdialog xml and cat's the new files (out to the pipe and into gtkdialog) ... I'm not sure how many windows gtkdialog1 is able to open simultaneously though (or how if at all) - It probably needs a way to tell the end of that window similar to </window> in gtkdialog2-4
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

starhawk

#287 Post by starhawk »

Requesting another tray app -- one for volume. alsamixer works -- but I've still got one mute puppy here...

goingnuts

#288 Post by goingnuts »

technosaurus: gtkdialog1 can be swallowed by jwm so guess its more or less a question if we can make dynamic changing pixmaps or text to do it.

starhawk: So alsamixer works but does not give you sound or what?

Found an alternative xload-monitor (hot-babe-0.2.2-gtk1+2pets) and did a quick backport to gtk1 to a working state. Thought I better bury it here and not in the "Additional Software"-section...But the coding principle is interesting and could be used with other images - and it is more fun as-is than xload during a kernel-compile... Patch2gtk1 attached.
Attachments
hot-babe-0.2.2.diff.gz
fake .gz
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

starhawk

#289 Post by starhawk »

That's correct -- I can play CDs because that's handled 99% by the CD drive -- it just pipes audio to the computer and the computer dumps it to the speakers. I think.

But any sort of internal playback -- mp3 or wav -- doesn't happen. minimp3 and mpg123 both claim to be playing, but I get no sound whatsoever.

IIRC in mainline Puppies and most Puplets -- there are TWO volume controls. One is ALSA. The other is the volume tray app that doesn't exist in pUPnGO.

I suspect that in my case, the lack of a volume tray app may be causing problems. (I also want to say that I remember mucking around with either original pUPnGO or a very early pUPnGO2012 where we got the volume tray app put in, and suddenly I was able to fix the issue... but I can't remember for sure.)

Perhaps there's a way to simply pull that app from p412 and stuff it into pUPnGO2012? I mean, the pUPnGO2012+ version I'm working with started off at 116mb, so I'm not nearly as concerned about size as you are ;) Speed and size usually go hand-in-hand but I doubt I'd find another Puppy that's nearly this responsive on this system at this size. Heck, Puplite5 is ~79mb and it is nearly painful to use.

goingnuts

#290 Post by goingnuts »

Did you try this? Uses same functions as absvolume. What soundcard do you have?