pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bark_bark_bark

#376 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Hello, I have a really ludicrous idea about a puppy derivative. I need to know, how can I get the current code in the woof build system into the original pUPnGo. Also how to a compile a glibc from scratch?

starhawk

#377 Post by starhawk »

Just curious, bark_bark_bark, what's your idea...?

bark_bark_bark

#378 Post by bark_bark_bark »

The idea I had, was my vision of a modular puppy distro.

There will be:

-different kernel options
-different base tool chains
-different desktop options

while having a big online repo and having some unity no matter what modules you have loaded. I want this to be distro that will benefit all (whether want to use on a P3 system, Atom netbook, or on some thousand core gaming system), there will be something for everyone.

greengeek

#379 Post by greengeek »

In order to ever make that work I imagine you would have to have a very tightly written set of definitions and parameters that different people could work to. And then lots of testing, bug fixing, and rewriting of the definitions and parameters..

I don't know if thats gonna fly...

technosaurus

#380 Post by technosaurus »

It is possible, not too difficult and has been done (mostly via zdrv.sfs), but dont expect all apps from other distros to work with other kernel versions, they dont all build packages against a lowest common denominator ... Fyi If you build packages against Linux 2.32, glibc-2.6ish and gtk2.12 (and corresponding dependencies) they are pretty likely to work on other distros... Basically build against the oldest version that will build it if you can. There are other considerations like stack smashing, etc... Someone really should post a portability howto wiki somewhere for other builders.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#381 Post by goingnuts »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Hello, I have a really ludicrous idea about a puppy derivative. I need to know, how can I get the current code in the woof build system into the original pUPnGo. Also how to a compile a glibc from scratch?
I have not tried any of the two so cant advise here. You are sure pupngo is a healthy starting point? (I'm not)...
Maybe Debian or some other large distro already close to target?

bark_bark_bark

#382 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Well, I kind of wanted to use a tiny base.

goingnuts

#383 Post by goingnuts »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Well, I kind of wanted to use a tiny base.
I see - a tiny base with at large repo? I do not know if Debian could start small - net-install?

bark_bark_bark

#384 Post by bark_bark_bark »

goingnuts wrote:
I see - a tiny base with at large repo? I do not know if Debian could start small - net-install?
I was saying that pupngo was tiny. Debian is way too heavy and big to use as a base.

technosaurus

#385 Post by technosaurus »

Here is the low down. Since pupngo's multicall binaries were statically built against a kernel older than any major distro uses, they can be used with all of them.

Now, some stuff (not much) will need to use the distro version like squash tools where newer versions are now in the vanilla kernel and stable but were only patches in the older kernels and are incompatible.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

greengeek

#386 Post by greengeek »

Iguleder has recently started working on a similar sort of concept here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 427#724427
Sounds like it runs the sfs addons in a sandboxed environment which is quite a nice idea.

Ted Dog

#387 Post by Ted Dog »

technosaurus wrote:Here is the low down. Since pupngo's multicall binaries were statically built against a kernel older than any major distro uses, they can be used with all of them.

Now, some stuff (not much) will need to use the distro version like squash tools where newer versions are now in the vanilla kernel and stable but were only patches in the older kernels and are incompatible.
Oh, I wondered why you where doing so muchwork to a very old base, I kept waiting for something newer... :roll: Now it makes sense, except that I do not see any newer roll outs, are they being uploaded somewhere?

goingnuts

#388 Post by goingnuts »

greengeek: Thanks for the link - will be exiting to follow Iguleders work. Remind me slightly of booting xwoaf, basic linux or tinycore via sfs in pupngo

Ted Dog: The possibilities for posting new variants of pupngo are huge but for the moment my ideas for posting other than what would be considered remasters are not present.
Other developers much more skilled than I deliver small basis with package managers to build up custom systems. Atm the static linked principle seems the most unique pupngo feature still not handled by most other puplets. So I cruise around, collect apps that potentially add functionality/variability to a possible future pupngo - but at the same time can be used today in a broad range of puppy versions (and beyond..).

greengeek

#389 Post by greengeek »

goingnuts wrote:Remind me slightly of booting xwoaf, basic linux or tinycore via sfs in pupngo
How did you capture those vids? They are very clear.

goingnuts

#390 Post by goingnuts »

They were done in Windows running pupngo in vmware - I do not recall the name of capture software - sorry. Hopefully same quality can eventually be done with xvidcap but I haven't been able yet to do that.

technosaurus

#391 Post by technosaurus »

I posted some light weight xpm tango icons here
over 200 icons each in both 32x32(gz compressed to 49kb) and 16x16(gz compressed to 27kb) versions
I did a some tricks to ensure that they shared an indexed color palette of 64 colors to help with compression and manually edited them to make them look decent. Even without compression they are significantly smaller than the RGBA icons included in the default Tango package.
I like the responsiveness of jwm with only xpm enabled (especially when the file system is already compressed - indexed xpm is smaller and faster)

Iguleder

#392 Post by Iguleder »

goingnuts, I wrote a udev replacement you could use. It relies on devtmpfs (i.e doesn't create device nodes), but mdev can compensate for that.

It's a small, single-process solution for loading kernel modules, without support for firmware loading or libudev. Is it useful for pupngo?

EDIT: opened a thread.
Attachments
devd.png
devd in action
(39.91 KiB) Downloaded 690 times
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

starhawk

#393 Post by starhawk »

goingnuts, I've sent you a PM about The Infernal Dell.

greengeek

#394 Post by greengeek »

technosaurus wrote:I typically do my dev work in wary for broader compatibility, dir2sfs is squash version dependent though so for pupngo, I would use a 4.1.x derivative like akita.
I've been trying to remaster a Turbopup variant using pup431 for the remaster but no success. I assumed that 431 would be ok for remastering a 420 based pup.

Now I look back at your comment I realise that I previously thought that both pupngo and turbopup were based on pup 420 (although I see now you pointed out here that pupngo is 412 based...).

Is pupngo definitely based on 412 rather than 420?

Would you expect 431 to have trouble remastering a 412 based pup or 420 based pup?

Should I use Akita to remaster turbopup rather than using 431?
cheers!

starhawk

#395 Post by starhawk »

Use Woofy, sc0ttman's remaster tool. But remember with TurboPup -- it's built like a Formula 1 car -- it's *dang* fast, but it's not very rugged, and when it breaks, it breaks spectacularly.

I tried to get TurboPup to remaster cleanly with Woofy about four or five times and I wound up with one badly broken Puppy every single time.

I wish you luck in your endeavors -- and I think you'll need plenty of it!