Google's Indirect Assistance to Puppy Linux Discussion Forum

News, happenings
gcmartin

Google's Indirect Assistance to Puppy Linux Discussion Forum

#1 Post by gcmartin »

I have been a user of Google for over a decade. I have used them for instructional purposes, in classroom settings, in business collaboration, and with family.

One recent addition (last 2 weeks) has added another feature to its arsenal. A HDD in the Cloud for its users. Since many of the developers here and users as well have Google IDs, we can now tap into using it for distribution and sharing of some of the personal development stuff we might want to pass on to our ranks. There are many other ways that this will be useful to most of us. Its FREE! And, you have total control of whatever you use your drive for...TOTAL CONTROL!!!

This is NOT a thread to steer anyone to Google. IT IS A THREAD to announce that should you have your GoogleID, you may use the new "Drive" feature of your ID for Puppy purposes more easily now.

To use your drive, sign in to your ID at Docs.Google.com and notice the "Notice" at the top of your page.

Here to help

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Here is an example of usage for Puppy

This is a shared spreadsheet doc of peoples hardware statistics relating to Puppy . . . :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... klDMkhDbXc
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

aarf

#3 Post by aarf »

looks like a fine place to hang your dirty washing. 8)

jpeps

#4 Post by jpeps »

It's supposed to be new, but upon going there, I found any docs I had opened or worked on stored there, including PDF's opened from gmail. I had no idea what it was storing.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

jpeps wrote: It's supposed to be new, but upon going there,
I found any docs I had opened or worked on stored there,
including PDF's opened from gmail.

had no idea what it was storing.
Wow thanks for sharing that info.
So maybe I too ahve files there not even knowing about them.
I sure have gmail because on Android Smartphones that is
the nagging thing each time one start them up Google want us
to give our gmail account. And I have GooglePlus or G+ whatever
so maybe I have a Google ID too? Do I ?

But I have no Puppy related thing to share. I am more of a freeloader
making use of others development. Embarrassing indeed. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

tronkel

Google Drive

#6 Post by tronkel »

I've been trying to set up a Linux client for Google Drive only today as it so happens.

As you may already know, there exists no official Google Drive client for Linux as yet - it's being worked on as we speak. The idea is that you can sync your Google Drive files with a local folder on your PC. In the case of Puppy, this folder could sit in /root, say.

What does exist though, is a third-party Linux client for Google Drive called Grive that works OK in Ubuntu 12.04.
At the moment it can only bi-directionally sync individual files and has (as yet), no auto-polling mechanism - not really a deal-breaker anyway.

I'll have a go at getting this to work in the just-released Precise Puppy 3.2.58 Beta if I can find a compatible binary package or the source code. It's a command-line-based tool basically at the moment, but easy to use nevertheless and most importantly - gets the job done.

It's would be a cool little tool to have available in Puppy Linux
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

jpeps

Re: Google Drive

#7 Post by jpeps »

tronkel wrote:I've been trying to set up a Linux client for Google Drive only today as it so happens.

As you may already know, there exists no official Google Drive client for Linux as yet - it's being worked on as we speak.
It works through a Firefox browser. If you've ever used Google Docs, it should already be there.

Barkin

#8 Post by Barkin »

aarf wrote:looks like a fine place to hang your dirty washing. 8)
Google docs is reliable, but it's not private ... http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=628918#628918

tronkel wrote:What does exist though, is a third-party Linux client for Google Drive called Grive ... It's would be a cool little tool to have available in Puppy Linux
NB: Google could scupper the unauthorised Gmail-drive, ( there's nothing in it for them ).

Makoto

#9 Post by Makoto »

Hmm... well, I've been looking for a decent place to store what programs I compile for other Puppy users to download (like my Pidgin packages for Puppy 4.3.1). Would Google's Drive be good for that, or would I run into problems down the road, for whatever reason?
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Barkin

#10 Post by Barkin »

Makoto wrote: ... I've been looking for a decent place to store what programs I compile for other Puppy users to download ... Would Google's Drive be good for that, or would I run into problems down the road, for whatever reason?
In the past Google email (Gmail) has blocked me from sending email with an attachment which is executable code, ( a virus / malware protection measure ).

I've not tried sending software [programs] via Google docs so I can't tell you if they block that for the same reason.

gcmartin

Your Google ID is your KEY to ALL the locks!!!

#11 Post by gcmartin »

Nooby wrote: ... sure have gmail because on Android Smartphones that is
the nagging thing each time one start them up Google want us
to give our gmail account. And I have GooglePlus or G+ whatever
so maybe I have a Google ID too? Do I ? ...
EAch one of us who uses Gmail (or any Google service) is done with "your Google ID". Yes, when you sign into Gmail, you are doing so with your Google ID. And, that ID "entitles" you to all of the other offerings they have for you. Think of you GoogleID as your key to ALL of your services that are there and available for you.
Tronkel wrote: ... As you may already know, there exists no official Google Drive client for Linux as yet - it's being worked on as we speak. The idea is that you can sync your Google Drive files with a local folder on your PC. In the case of Puppy, this folder could sit in /root, say ...
Yeah,,this is part of Google Summer of Code, where they pay College students (bachelor/master/Phd degree seekers) to assist them in building the robustness that has occurred ovetr the years.
Makoto wrote: ... I've been looking for a decent place to store what programs I compile for other Puppy users to download ... Would Google's Drive be good for that, or would I run into problems down the road, for whatever reason?
Barkin wrote:In the past Google email (Gmail) has blocked me from sending email with an attachment which is executable code, ( a virus / malware protection measure ).

I've not tried sending software [programs] via Google docs so I can't tell you if they block that for the same reason.
We have had to ability to upload for sharing files for several years now. "Drives" is just Google's reference for what we used to do with "Docs". So, Google is just merging (no, blurring) Docs, into what it feels is more logical. And they've increase the Cloud File Space available. Gmail is now 10GB, Drives is 5GB, etc; we've got BIG space everywhere. (Are you aware how many Puppy distros I can store on my Drives?)

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 20:49, edited 4 times in total.

gcmartin

#12 Post by gcmartin »

For $5 per YEAR (Yes, that is correct "per year") I can significantly increase my filespace!

Here to help

jpeps

#13 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:PlaceHolder
gcmartin, I also like services like gmail, but I'm curious why you think that storing personal data on goggle drive is such a great idea.

"Google is, in fact, is a key participant in U.S. military and CIA intelligence operations involving torture; subversion of foreign governments; illegal wars of aggression; and military occupations of countries which have never attacked the U.S. and which have cost hundreds of thousands of lives in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and elsewhere.

To begin with, Google is the supplier of the core search technology for 'Intellipedia, a highly-secured online system where 37,000 U.S. spies and related personnel share information and collaborate on their devious errands. "

http://english.pravda.ru/world/asia/14- ... e_china-0/

rokytnji

#14 Post by rokytnji »

that storing personal data on goggle drive is such a great idea.
Personal Data, Nope. Techy stuff. Why not? I store my uploaded Isos, personal .pets and things like /etc/fstab in the cloud like minus.com and my Ubuntu one account. But personal stuff, no. I have a external hardware for that.

"Google is, in fact, is a key participant in U.S. military and CIA intelligence operations involving torture
The rest of your post just sounds like humans natural tribalism to me.
Like we are the only national govt. that does atrocities in the world. :roll:

Best thing in your link was :lol:

http://english.pravda.ru/society/sex/28 ... control-0/
This is NOT a thread to steer anyone to Google. IT IS A THREAD to announce that should you have your GoogleID, you may use the new "Drive" feature of your ID for Puppy purposes more easily now.
Thanks gcmartin. Just another tool for the toolbox.

jpeps

#15 Post by jpeps »

rokytnji wrote:
The rest of your post just sounds like humans natural tribalism to me.
Like we are the only national govt. that does atrocities in the world. :roll:
It does to me too. With the latest revelations of flags for using words like "exercise", I'm becoming less inclined towards using public services to store information.

gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

This is Puppy Linux Discussion Forum. I think much-most of what I share here is to try to help with ideas for the advancement of Puppy Linux.

I am not encouraging the sharing of data so private that you could be embarrassed by its emergence or misuse.

I do, though, advocate online collabaration tools and its features as a means of making a Puppy Linux contribution available to others. And, I believe it would be useful for those of us who would want to collaborate on a project that would have mutual or widespread benefit.

I am NOT an advocate for Google, Microsoft, Apple, IBM, HP, Oracle, SAP, Citrix, etc. in this forum. But, whenever a tool becomes available for community benefit, I will post so that others are aware of how that technology can be found, and to allow discourse of its usefulness for those things Puppy.

I hope (and I think) most know me for this.

Just trying to help wherever in life I can.

gcmartin

Puppy is enhanced to use your free cloud storage

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Each of us, now, not only have our own Cloud storage device, but also, Google has just upgraded the tool we can use for Puppy integration, should anyone desire. You can now share anything you want with anyone you choose on a high-speed upload/download site.

Puppy, too, has been enhanced with your personal storage connected to your desktop

Since Puppy, by design, in internet intensive, this has the potential of being a great contribution to an individual Puppy developer, or puppy user(s) alike.

Here to help