How to Install the Canon Printer Driver (MP250)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
jadamso

How to Install the Canon Printer Driver (MP250)

#1 Post by jadamso »

I just thought I would write a quick solution to this having spent 4 hours trying to get this working. This is just a quick guide and I won't be responding to any questions.

If you try to install the official Canon linux driver (./install.sh) you will get this message:

The package management system cannot be recognised.

This is because Canon's driver is only for debian/fedora based systems.
Nor will it work if you bypass the installation script and try to manuall install the .deb package. Hmmm.

The solution I found was this (using Puppy Lucid)

1. The first thing to do is to go here and download the pet package:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47444

Well done Patriot for this.

2. Install it.

3. Follow the instructions provided in the guide contained with the official Canon driver for configuring ldadmin. Do not go through CUPS config wizard.

4. Instead, Open up a terminal and insert the following:

/etc/init.d/cups restart (to Restart the CUPS daemon)

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MP250 -m canonmp250.ppd -v cnijusb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E (registers the printer, in this case 'MP250' to the spooler, otherwise if you try to print something you'll just get paper with nothing on it)

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -d MP250 (sets this as the default printer).

To test you can use this command to print a file

cngpij -P MP250 [filename e.g. Sample.png] which will open up a preferences menu but you should be able to just print normally through the File tab on the program.

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Brilliant stuff, added to wiki

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Printing

rcrsn51

Re: How to Install the Canon Printer Driver (MP250)

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

jadamso wrote:... Do not go through CUPS config wizard.... /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p MP250 -m canonmp250.ppd -v cnijusb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E (registers the printer...
The post-install script contained in the above PET tries to automatically set up a CUPS printer using exactly this command. But IIRC, it fails in some Puppies because of timing issues.

However, the CUPS wizard should do it correctly. You might need to delete any invalid printer that was created by the PET.