iMac Superdrive on Puppy. [Solved] sort of...

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
killapup

Part II

#16 Post by killapup »

G'day again,

after thinking that I had got it all sorted with previous posts and responses and after some further testing, it seems that it is not that simple.

While the eject key on the Apple keyboard (keymapped as per micko's directions) does eject the disk, it still doesn't work all the time, :cry:

Sometimes, when the disk gets past a certain point and is still not mounted, it will not eject. I think if I leave it in the drive long enough, it gets to a point where it will again be ejectable, but I'm not patient enough to test that properly.

I can, as I said earlier, pull the USB plug out and put it back in again and it will be able to be ejected. I just have to listen for the little noises it makes and eject at the right time for it to work. But, of course, if I leave it too long it goes into some unejectable zone again and I have to repeat the unplugging sequence.

Again, as I have said earlier, if the disk mounts and the icon appears on the desktop, all is good and it can be ejected. But, of course, not all disks will mount, will they?

I have found that of 3 disks I have tried, 2 will mount but the other won't. One that will mount each time is the cover disk on the Linux Format magazine #155, no worries, my Puppy Slacko 5.3.3 liveCD will mount but my Puppy Slacko 5.3.1 disk just will not mount. They are all ISO 9660 (Rockridge) format and should (to my way of thinking) mount equally, but they don't???

I put a DVD in the drive the other day and it mounted, got to a menu screen, I clicked play and it started to play, got to about 19secs of the scene and just stopped, would not resume playing even though the disk was still spinning, I think. I might try that again and see what happens but I'm sure it was still spinning.

Is this one of those situations where I should just cut my losses and buy a drive that will work or is there value in pursuing this further? I have read stuff about flashing the firmware, is that a possible fix? Or am I just bashing my head again a brick wall???

If anyone has any further thoughts on this, I'd be pleased to hear them, cheers all,

Ray

killapup

#17 Post by killapup »

Ok, so I've gone back and tested the DVD mentioned earlier and, guess what? it played through. I left it go for 20 minutes. Ok, the playback wasn't terribly good but it didn't freeze, and the sound and vision were sometimes in sync, but it played, go figure????

So, to reiterate, it doesn't seem to do the same thing twice!?!?!?!?

I was also reading the other day about someone who had to recompile their Linux kernels to allow cd access. Now I know that this is not the issue here as my brother's Medion (Aldi brand) drive worked without a hitch, I had to give it back. :cry: It just adds to my frustrations as I know Puppy can do it, I think it is just the Apple drive??? :(

But that leaves me with the question, where to from here??

Cheers again,

Ray