Fatdog64-600b1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Billtoo

#16 Post by Billtoo »

[quote="kirk"]
The iso is about 200MB, so booting from slow media like a DVD could take a few minutes. Optical media read speed depends on a lot of different hardware factors. That may be completely normal. If you have a copy of 521 on DVD around, you could see how it compares.
[quote]

It takes 30 seconds to get to the prompt if I boot the fatdog 521 dvd with
fatdog pfix=nox,ram

On the same pc it takes 4 minutes to get to the desktop if I boot the fatdog 600b1 dvd with fatdog savefile=direct:local

It's not a big problem but when you have to do reboots to install the proprietary Nvidia driver etc., it takes some time.

EDIT: I tried again and just hit enter to start the fatdog 600b1 dvd and it still took 4 minutes but it did load my savefile, guess I didn't need the fatdog savefile=direct:local part.

kirk

#17 Post by kirk »

Is there an sfs file available yet for FATDOG 600b1 for 32-bit libs? Or can I use the 32-bit sfs libs file from the 500 series?
There isn't a new one for 600. I would think the one from 500 would work. Wouldn't hurt to try it.
Note: Failed format floppy, tested on Fatdog64 alpha2 and beta1.
Code:
fdformat: can't stat '/dev/fd0u1440': No such file or directory
Wow, you have a floppy :), All I have is a usb floppy which that script doesn't support. Maybe James has a real floppy drive to test with.
On the same pc it takes 4 minutes to get to the desktop if I boot the fatdog 600b1 dvd with fatdog savefile=direct:local
Could you try booting from a hard drive on that computer? If you use grub, just copy vmlinuz and initrd to a partition and add this to grub:

title Fatdog64
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd

The hd0,0 in the example above, the first zero refers to the first hard drive, and the second zero refers to the first partition on that harddrive. So in that example, (hd0,0) refers to sda1.

Your boot option isn't needed. Here's some examples from the FAQs if your interested:

savefile=direct:device:sda1 --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of /dev/sda1, save directly to it
savefile=ram:device:sda2:/fd600/fd64save.3fs --- use savefile named fd64save.3fs located in /fd600 directory of /dev/sda2, use RAM layer
savefile=ram:usb --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of the first found usb device, use RAM layer
savefile=direct:multi --- use multisession on device /dev/sr0

Jim1911

#18 Post by Jim1911 »

WOW! :D It's superb, hugh improvement over a2 with many new features to check out. Thanks for the improving selection of programs in your Fatdog Package Manager. New frugal installation on desktop computer with new save file and have noted only a few problems.

Current problems discovered:

1. Heads up -- Not a problem. Installed Firefox-13.pet using package manager. Initially it would not work, even using a terminal. However, this was corrected with a reboot.

2. Cannot install printer -- selecting "CUPS Manage Printing" opens browser at Home CUPS 1.3.11, however clicking "Add Printer" takes you to an Administrative CUPS 1.5.2 screen which gives an error. Correct hplip pets for FD are installed. See desktop below.

Cheers,
Jim

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(30.64 KiB) Downloaded 1789 times

jamesbond

#19 Post by jamesbond »

LateAdopter wrote:The ISO 9660 filenames are garbled in fd600a2 and fd600b1. They were OK in the fd520 and fd521 ISOs.

It's usually because the mastering software is set to enforce ISO 9660 level 1. It is better to set level 3 or turn the checking off completely. Then any software can read the filenames correctly without any extensions.
Yes, I used level 1 and only enabled Rockridge extension. I've changed the build scripts, remasters and shutdown to enable ISO level 3, Joliet and Rockridge to make it more "compatible".
Setting up the country specific settings, the first time, is more complicated because you have to use three separate tools to do it.
The first two ask you to restart X and you have to say no, and the third one doesn't ask you and you have to remember to do it!
I know what you refer by first two; I don't get the third one.
The reason they are separate is that depending on your circumstances, you only need to use one or both of them.
Billtoo wrote:Sound quit working, I think it was caused when I opened the terminal
and ran alsa mixer and set the levels, then used the alsactl store
command.
I never use alsactl before ... anyway the initscripts will store the current volume settings using alsactl as follows: "alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store" (you can see this in /etc/init.d/20-alsa
tronkel wrote:Another awesome FATDOG. Running very well on my hardware.
Thank you for the compliment :)
Is it on Distrowatch yet? If not, it ought to be.
I don't think kirk registered Fatdog to distrowatch ...
As an example, my .fonts.conf file for anti-aliased fonts did not work at all when saved to the normal Puppy root home folder. Only after creating a new user using the FATDOG Control Panel did this function OK.
Didn't it? I thought the .confs.conf if placed in /root should work for root (but not other users), vice versa if you put it under /home/fido then it should work for fido (but not for other users).
Is there an sfs file available yet for FATDOG 600b1 for 32-bit libs? Or can I use the 32-bit sfs libs file from the 500 series?
The new 32-bit libs is in progress, for the time being you can use the old one. Note the old 32-bit libs is based on the earliest Quirky so it is really ancient ... but it works :)
shinobar wrote:Grub4DosConfig 1.8 now supports Fatdog64.
Thank you shinobar, I'll get in for the next release :D
Note: Failed format floppy, tested on Fatdog64 alpha2 and beta1.
I only have one machine with floppy drive and I have not formatted a floppy for years ... :) I'm not even sure whether the
drive is still working :roll: Thank you for the report though, I think devtmpfs doesn't automatically create this "special" floppy device
nodes. The floppy formatter program needs to be upgraded to create them on the fly.
Billtoo wrote:t takes 30 seconds to get to the prompt if I boot the fatdog 521 dvd with
fatdog pfix=nox,ram

It's not a big problem but when you have to do reboots to install the proprietary Nvidia driver etc., it takes some time.

EDIT: I tried again and just hit enter to start the fatdog 600b1 dvd and it still took 4 minutes but it did load my savefile, guess I didn't need the fatdog savefile=direct:local part.
The equivalent of 521's "pfix=ram,nox" in 600 is "savefile=none pfix=nox".

As kirk said, the "direct:local" isn't needed - that is the default options, which means:
- direct = directly access the savefile (no RAM layer in between)
- local = search all local drives (harddisk, dvd, usb ...) for the savefile and use the first one found

I can guess where the slowness come from. It is probably because of the humongous initrd. 600 is optimised for operation from harddisk frugal install - humongous initrd is faster in this case. For dvd, the split-initrd (initrd + main sfs, the way standard puppy and 521 works) is probably faster. I've included support for split-initrd for flash drives, but I forgot about dvd, sorry :oops: I'll see whether I can whack the remaster script to include support for split initrd too.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#20 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:WOW! :D It's superb, hugh improvement over a2 with many new features to check out.
Thank you :)
Thanks for the improving selection of programs in your Fatdog Package Manager.
The appreciation should be extended to many people in this community too --- many of the packages in the Fatdog repository comes from our community in this forum: Billtoo, Mick (01micko), rcrsn51, Grant (smokey01) and probably others I forgot to mention :)
1. Heads up -- Not a problem. Installed Firefox-13.pet using package manager. Initially it would not work, even using a terminal. However, this was corrected with a reboot.
That's odd, it is supposed to work without a reboot. I will look at it.
2. Cannot install printer -- selecting "CUPS Manage Printing" opens browser at Home CUPS 1.3.11, however clicking "Add Printer" takes you to an Administrative CUPS 1.5.2 screen which gives an error. Correct hplip pets for FD are installed. See desktop below.
This is even odd-er :shock: 600 comes with CUPS 1.5.2, I'm not sure how you could end up with CUPS 1.3.11 homepage? Which HP package did you install (can't view it from the screenshot - old eyes).
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

01micko

#21 Post by 01micko »

Swap isn't enabled by default.. is this by design or a bug?

Code: Select all

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       2049916       443212      1606704            0        30832
-/+ buffers:             412380      1637536
Swap:            0            0            0
# swapon /dev/sda5
# free
Mem:       2049916       444840      1605076            0        30920
-/+ buffers:             413920      1635996
Swap:      1678756            0      1678756
# 
EDIT: plus sda5 shows up on my desktop.

EDIT2:
/etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount pt>     <type>	<options>         <dump> <pass>
# /dev/root		/				ext2	rw,noauto			0		1	# mounted by /init
# proc			/proc			proc	defaults			0		0	# mounted by /init
# sysfs			/sys			sysfs	defaults			0		0	# mounted by /init
usbfs			/proc/bus/usb	usbfs	defaults			0		0
devpts			/dev/pts		devpts	defaults,gid=3,mode=620	0	0
tmpfs			/dev/shm		tmpfs	mode=0777			0		0
tmpfs			/tmp			tmpfs	defaults			0		0
/usr/lib64		/usr/lib		bind	defaults,bind		0		0
/usr/X11R7/lib64 /usr/X11R7/lib	bind	defaults,bind		0		0
/dev/fd0		/mnt/floppy		auto	noauto,rw			0		0
/usr/lib64      /usr/lib        bind    defaults,bind       0		0
hmm... forum doesn't format the code too well!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jamesbond

#22 Post by jamesbond »

01micko wrote:Swap isn't enabled by default.. is this by design or a bug?

# free
Mem:       2049916       443212      1606704            0        30832
-/+ buffers:             412380      1637536
Swap:            0            0            0
# swapon /dev/sda5
# free
Mem:       2049916       444840      1605076            0        30920
-/+ buffers:             413920      1635996
Swap:      1678756            0      1678756
# 
By design. You need to add /dev/sda5 to /etc/fstab, then it will be enabled by default.
EDIT: plus sda5 shows up on my desktop.
Yes, I noticed this too ... :oops: I thought it is a feature to know where your missing drives are. You can take this one out: edit /usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-udev-handler.sh; goto line 317 and add "swap" as one of the filesystem type that we want to ignore.

EDIT2:
/etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount pt>     <type>	<options>         <dump> <pass>
# /dev/root		/				ext2	rw,noauto			0		1	# mounted by /init
# proc			/proc			proc	defaults			0		0	# mounted by /init
# sysfs			/sys			sysfs	defaults			0		0	# mounted by /init
usbfs			/proc/bus/usb	usbfs	defaults			0		0
devpts			/dev/pts		devpts	defaults,gid=3,mode=620	0	0
tmpfs			/dev/shm		tmpfs	mode=0777			0		0
tmpfs			/tmp			tmpfs	defaults			0		0
/usr/lib64		/usr/lib		bind	defaults,bind		0		0
/usr/X11R7/lib64 /usr/X11R7/lib	bind	defaults,bind		0		0
/dev/fd0		/mnt/floppy		auto	noauto,rw			0		0
/usr/lib64      /usr/lib        bind    defaults,bind       0		0
hmm... forum doesn't format the code too well!
Yes, definitely not too well, I don't get what you're trying to say? :twisted:

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600b1

#23 Post by Billtoo »

Alpha2 and beta1 both work great for games like Openarena,Sauerbraten,
and Nexuiz, most likely Xonotic too which I don't have on this hard disk
yet.
Other recent Puppy versions won't run these games, Wary and Slacko
used to be but not recent versions of those pups.Saluki runs some
games okay.
Anyway, Fatdog gets a thumbs up for gaming :)

01micko

#24 Post by 01micko »

Yes, definitely not too well, I don't get what you're trying to say?
Just that swap isn't in /etc/fstab, no problem. If I feel the need I can add it manually and I see from rc.sysinit it will get mounted. 8) . I suppose most 64 bit machines have fairly large RAM and swap isn't all that necessary for day to day computing.

Cheers

rcrsn51

#25 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:2. Cannot install printer -- selecting "CUPS Manage Printing" opens browser at Home CUPS 1.3.11, however clicking "Add Printer" takes you to an Administrative CUPS 1.5.2 screen which gives an error. Correct hplip pets for FD are installed. See desktop below.
Ummm... Are you using a shared browser cache with another Puppy? Because there is no way you should be seeing that.

Can you duplicate it with a fresh install?

01micko

#26 Post by 01micko »

Ok I have a printing problem which I can work around, but I can't find a 'proper' solution.

I installed my canon-mp490 thanks to rcrsn51's instructions.
I have already added user "mick"
As user root I added the printer but could not print, permissions error on /dev/usb/lp0
I manually set the 'world' check boxes in rox and I can print as root.
I added user 'mick' in the CUPS interface. He couldn't print!
I then changed the line SystemGroup root to SystemGroup lpadmin in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and 'mick' can print.
After every reboot though I have to reset the /dev/usb/lp0 file and tick the 'world' boxes.

Every time I made a change I restarted CUPS to be on the safe side.

jamesbond

#27 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:1. Heads up -- Not a problem. Installed Firefox-13.pet using package manager. Initially it would not work, even using a terminal. However, this was corrected with a reboot.
That's odd, it is supposed to work without a reboot. I will look at it.
I can't reproduce the problem. Running in RAM, install firefox from FDPM, click "web browser" - and I've got firefox running ...
Billtoo wrote:Anyway, Fatdog gets a thumbs up for gaming
Am I not glad to hear this :D I initially created 32-bit libs because I saw so many games in the PET sections, but they were only for 32-bit puppies ... :)
01micko wrote:Just that swap isn't in /etc/fstab, no problem. If I feel the need I can add it manually and I see from rc.sysinit it will get mounted. I suppose most 64 bit machines have fairly large RAM and swap isn't all that necessary for day to day computing.
There is a "Create swapfile" function from control panel to assist creating a swap file (note: swapfile not swap partition) and automatically add it to /etc/fstab. I presume that anyone who knows how to play with swap partition would know to add it to the /etc/fstab too :wink: perhaps need to add one more FAQ entry. The reason I'm not doing swap partition detection is the boot delay it incurs 8)
Ok I have a printing problem which I can work around, but I can't find a 'proper' solution.
Hmm ... The udev-rules (/etc/udev/rules.d/54-fatdog-permission.rules) is set so that printer device nodes are owned by "lp" group. Do you mind checking whether that's the case? (ie - what is the user/group for /dev/usb/lp0 when you plug the printer?). All users including root is part of the "lp" group, and therefore should be able to access the nodes. I'm surprised that even root cannot print. Perhaps I set the mode wrongly.

I'm not too sure about the SystemGroup cupsd.conf, I need to have a read here (or perhaps rcrsn51 can enlighten me ...), I'm happy to add lpadmin to the SystemGroup if needed.

EDIT: Permissions of /usr/lib64/cups/backend/* get borked. It should be 0500 - I think the iso build system may have screwed it. If you chmod them to 0500, you will be able to add/remove and print as users directly, no need to modify cupsd.conf or the device node permissions.

CUPS-PDF however only shows its prompt on the first screen, if you happen to run multiple desktops ...

Billtoo

#28 Post by Billtoo »

Could you try booting from a hard drive on that computer? If you use grub, just copy vmlinuz and initrd to a partition and add this to grub:

title Fatdog64
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd

The hd0,0 in the example above, the first zero refers to the first hard drive, and the second zero refers to the first partition on that harddrive. So in that example, (hd0,0) refers to sda1.

Your boot option isn't needed. Here's some examples from the FAQs if your interested:

savefile=direct:device:sda1 --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of /dev/sda1, save directly to it
savefile=ram:device:sda2:/fd600/fd64save.3fs --- use savefile named fd64save.3fs located in /fd600 directory of /dev/sda2, use RAM layer
savefile=ram:usb --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of the first found usb device, use RAM layer
savefile=direct:multi --- use multisession on device /dev/sr0
I installed shinobar's grub4dos 1.8 from page 1 of this thread and it booted to the desktop in 17 seconds, thanks

rcrsn51

#29 Post by rcrsn51 »

jamesbond wrote:EDIT: Permissions of /usr/lib64/cups/backend/* get borked. It should be 0500
With that fix, USB printers are now being detected again. I also tested printing a web page as spot, and that worked.

However, 32-bit drivers like Mick's MP490 are a nuisance. Even after you go through all the steps in the Help, there are two more:

1. When you re-install the printer, make sure that you select the "usb" choice, NOT "cnijusb". The latter uses /dev/usb/lp0 which will fail because of permissions. The former will work correctly.

2. You need the following 32-bit symlink

ln -s libtiff.so.3 /lib32/libtiff.so.4
However, this link probably won't survive a reboot (I didn't check). The new 32-bit compatibility pack will need to contain it.

kirk

#30 Post by kirk »

Grub4DosConfig 1.8 now supports Fatdog64.
Thanks Shinobar, it will be in the next release. And thanks to Billtoo for testing it.
Alpha2 and beta1 both work great for games like Openarena,Sauerbraten,
and Nexuiz, most likely Xonotic too which I don't have on this hard disk
yet.
If you play Urban Terror, which is another Quake3 based game, the game engine that comes with there last release is too old. I compiled an updated one a few months ago. It's here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ine.tar.xz
Swap isn't enabled by default.. is this by design or a bug?
Just to echo what James said. It's off by default. If you need to use swap on a regular basis you really should buy some more RAM, fortunately most 64bit PCs come with enough RAM. Also Swap causes a security issue for people running encrypted save files.

Jim1911

#31 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:2. Cannot install printer -- selecting "CUPS Manage Printing" opens browser at Home CUPS 1.3.11, however clicking "Add Printer" takes you to an Administrative CUPS 1.5.2 screen which gives an error. Correct hplip pets for FD are installed. See desktop below.
Ummm... Are you using a shared browser cache with another Puppy? Because there is no way you should be seeing that.

Can you duplicate it with a fresh install?
You nailed it, I was using a shared cache. :oops: However, as you can see from the attached screens, I am still unable to install the printer (my HP 5280 does not show up), although your latest hplip pets are installed. I uninstalled them and reinstalled several times with a fresh download, didn't help. I have rebooted the computer and also shutdown and restarted the printer several times.

@jamesbond

Firefox problem apparently was caused by a bad download. New save file did not have a problem.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(33 KiB) Downloaded 1409 times
image-3.jpg
(35.15 KiB) Downloaded 1404 times

rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote: However, as you can see from the attached screens, I am still unable to install the printer, although your latest hplip pets are installed. I uninstalled them and reinstalled several times with a fresh download, didn't help. I have rebooted the computer and also shutdown and restarted the printer several times..
Your drivers are fine. Read back a bit for jamesbond's permissions fix. You need to run

chmod 0500 /usr/lib64/cups/backend/*

irishrm

#33 Post by irishrm »

Did a frugal usb install.

Internet connection established with ease.

Had to configure touchpad as usual.

Downloads from ppm and from the repro working well.
Installed all the apps I usually use and all working ok.

Encountered none of the problems that I had with alpha2.
Delighted with the result-great distro.

irishrm.

jamesbond

#34 Post by jamesbond »

rcrsn51 wrote:2. You need the following 32-bit symlink

ln -s libtiff.so.3 /lib32/libtiff.so.4
However, this link probably won't survive a reboot (I didn't check). The new 32-bit compatibility pack will need to contain it.
I will try to remember this. The next 32-bit libs will probably comes from Slacko - it would (or at least should) make the entire 32-bit Slackware apps (at least those that works with Slacko) to be available for use with Fatdog.

jamesbond

#35 Post by jamesbond »

Note: taking down ironware-sfs, 01micko has indicated incompatibility with beta1 and he has a fix. I will upload it once I've applied the fix.