Fatdog64-600b1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

#61 Post by smokey01 »

XvidCap works much better for me than screencaster.

http://www.smokey01.com/software/graphi ... tdog64.pet

My printer driver is not included in the default package. Samsung ML1660 but it was recognised after:
chmod 0500 /usr/lib64/cups/backend/*
Although recognised, still not working.

JWM has a few missing icons in the menu system. I'm not a fan of OpenBox, far too bland.

I think a better calculator is required as default. Galculator in the PPM is a better choice.

All in all, looking and working quite nice.

jamesbond

#62 Post by jamesbond »

Lobster wrote:Any documentation/tips on going multi-user for other developers welcome 8)
That depends on which "level" of multi-user you want to achieve.

Generally speaking, at minimum one needs to do these:
  1. Xorg must be setuid (so that it can be started by non-root)
  2. su must be setuid (so that non-root can gain priviledge to do stuff that only root can)
  3. passwd must be setuid (so that non-root can change own password)
  4. check with apps require root access, for them have a mechanism for GUI apps to ask permission to become root (Fatdog uses homebrew gtksu; Puppy uses sudo+askpass which is okay too)
  5. Do not hardcode paths to /root, use $HOME instead.
  6. Do not hardcode user to root, use $USER instead
  7. Think about permission model you want to give to non-root users. It can be as strict or as loose as you want. Remember if it is too loose (non-root can access everything) then there is no point of running as non-root at all. Remember if it is too strict then it will cause inconvenience.
Realise the different purposes of the different init scripts, and put proper initialisation code in the proper location. By "proper initialisation code" I mean init code that requires root access (e.g. setup system-wide symlinks; loading kernel modules) must be placed in scripts that run as root.

These applies if you use busybox /sbin/init, if you run busybox runit the details will be different but in principle it is still the same:
  • rc.sysinit runs as root and starts services; all non-X related code that has to run as root must be put here. rc.sysinit is run *before* login
  • /etc/profile is executed by the login shell (the first shell run after login), it is run as *user*, so don't do root-only stuff here. And remember it is only executed *once* per every login.
  • Fatdog and also puppy starts Xorg using xinit. Know exactly what xinit is doing - it launches .xserverrc to start Xorg and launches .xinitrc as the first X client. Remember that although Xorg runs as root (because it is setuid), everything in .xinitrc is run as *user*.
  • When using temporary variables make use of "mktemp" or at least prefix/suffix that with $USER so that leftover temporary files do not prevent the script to fail if executed as another user. E.g. creating "/tmp/output.log" is a bad idea because if that script is first run as root, another user running the same script will try to output to the same file and will fail.
  • Use and separate system-wide settings and per-user settings. For example, Rox keeps its system-wide settings in /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net, while its per-user setting is $HOME/.config/rox.sourceforge.net (usually hardcoded to as /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net, but see above about $HOME). Openbox has it in /etc/xdg/openbox and $HOME/.config/openbox. Lxpanel has it in /usr/share/lxpanel and $HOME/.config/lxpanel, etc. Not sure about jwm - I don't use it ... but I'm sure it has both settings as well. Application should install in system-wide settings not per-user (this is debatable - some would say the app should offer choice whether to install system-wide or only for one particular user...)
The rest is just hardwork checking and verifying and fixing and moving and shuffling and re-writing scripts ... :shock:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

nooby

#63 Post by nooby »

JamesBond Much appreciated I did a test again
and now I get the thing working but not sure of
where to put the savefile. I usually have those in
the subdir but it got placed on / so I moved it to fatdog subdir
and will reboot to see if it loads it.

I failed to use the Opera sfs that Terry made so maybe
that works only on Lupu and Slacko?
I renamed it to fd64save.ext3 ?
The easier way for me where to move my html file from home to spot!
That would keep the structure set up and I can have Firefox in root
and SeaMonkey in spot?

Thanks, cool that it is a true multiuser. Ask Barry if you can have it
recognized as an official Puppy when it is out of Beta. That way
we could have something to say to all the anti-root critics being
upset over that puppy is root.

As it is now it asked for password for root but can be defaulted to using woofwoof but when does it need this password?
Last edited by nooby on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

tronkel

Brother DCP7030 with latest Debbi

#64 Post by tronkel »

@rcrsn51

Have tested the upgraded DEBBI pet in Fatdog600b1 with the Brother DCP7030 drivers as provided on the Brother website at http://solutions.brother.com

Seems to have done the trick OK. Neither the Fatdog Package Manager nor the system itself crash now.

Printer installed OK but needed to initialise CUPS with:
'start32 /usr/sbin/cupsd' to get CUPS to output a test page.

To save having to mess with the 32-bit libs, it would be better if Brother made native 64-bit drivers available on their site. They do have 64-bit brscan drivers for scanners but not for the DCP7030 printer which are only provided as 32-bit. Wonder why not.

Anyway rcrsn51, thanks again for yet another printer rescue job! LOL, seems to be no end to these printer issues.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

rcrsn51

#65 Post by rcrsn51 »

smokey01 wrote:My printer driver is not included in the default package. Samsung ML1660 but it was recognised after:
How is it not working? Did you install a driver package? The repo contains the samsung_print_fd600-4.00.35.pet which supports your model.

rcrsn51

Re: Brother DCP7030 with latest Debbi

#66 Post by rcrsn51 »

tronkel wrote:To save having to mess with the 32-bit libs, it would be better if Brother made native 64-bit drivers available on their site. They do have 64-bit brscan drivers for scanners but not for the DCP7030 printer which are only provided as 32-bit. Wonder why not.
I suspect that 32-bit support is easier to handle in the big-boy distros. For Brother to provide native 64-bit drivers, they would have to double the number of packages they host. From Brother:
# Pre-required Procedure (5)
Related distributions
Debian 64 bit version, Ubuntu 64 bit version
Related products/drivers
printer/PC-FAX drivers
Requirement
ia32-libs or lib32stdc++ is required to be installed.
The same is true of Canon, who only have 64-bit drivers for a few models.

All of the Brother scanners are supported by just four packages, so it's not a big deal to have 64-bit versions for them.

smokey01

#67 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
smokey01 wrote:My printer driver is not included in the default package. Samsung ML1660 but it was recognised after:
How is it not working? Did you install a driver package? The repo contains the samsung_print_fd600-4.00.35.pet which supports your model.
Richard I haven't installed any Samsung packages from the repo. I'm just advising my printer driver is not in the default packages like Saluki.

Cheers

jamesbond

#68 Post by jamesbond »

nooby wrote:JamesBond Much appreciated I did a test again
and now I get the thing working but not sure of
where to put the savefile. I usually have those in
the subdir but it got placed on / so I moved it to fatdog subdir
and will reboot to see if it loads it.
That should do the trick. You can name the savefile as anything (doesn't have to be fd64save.ext4) - as long as you give the same name in the savefile boot parameter. You can also specify the location of the savefile on when you created savefile for the first time.
I failed to use the Opera sfs that Terry made so maybe
that works only on Lupu and Slacko?
Most probably because it's 32-bit SFS. I uploaded Opera 11.64 64-bit to the pet repo, you can get it from there.
I renamed it to fd64save.ext3 ?
No problem, just make sure your savefile boot parameter matches.
The easier way for me where to move my html file from home to spot!
That would be a good strategy, I would say :)
That would keep the structure set up and I can have Firefox in root
and SeaMonkey in spot?
Ummm, the firefox from the pet repo also runs as spot. Again, you can have them run as root by editing /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and change that to "firefox" instead of "firefox-spot".
Thanks, cool that it is a true multiuser. Ask Barry if you can have it recognized as an official Puppy when it is out of Beta. That way we could have something to say to all the anti-root critics being upset over that puppy is root.
I think at one time Barry already said that Fatdog was kind-of semi-official 64-bit Puppy. Not sure about now though :D
As it is now it asked for password for root but can be defaulted to using woofwoof but when does it need this password?
By default Fatdog, like all puppies, autologin as root. The root password isn't required in this case. However, with Fatdog, you can:
a) autologin as another user (not root). When you're not running as root, certain operation that require root privileges will ask for root password.
b) install a graphical login manager (SLIM) which will ask for your username and password at boot time (installing SLIM will remove the autologin functionality).

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#69 Post by jamesbond »

smokey01 wrote:XvidCap works much better for me than screencaster.

http://www.smokey01.com/software/graphi ... tdog64.pet
Thanks Grant, I will add xvidcap to the pet repo. Screencaster stays because it is just a small script utilising a tool already in the base Fatdog (=ffmpeg).
JWM has a few missing icons in the menu system. I'm not a fan of OpenBox, far too bland.
JWM and lxpanel have different paths to look for icons. Unless every desktop file is modified to have absolute path to the icon file, this will probably continue to happen. That shouldn't be the case, it should be sufficient to name the icon instead of using absolute path --- if the panel follows icon theme standard from freedesktop.org. I'm not sure which one (jwm or lxpanel) follows the Icon Theme freedesktop standard, though.
I think a better calculator is required as default. Galculator in the PPM is a better choice.
Agree that galculator looks better, but it doesn't offer that much more functionality than the smaller calcoo.
All in all, looking and working quite nice.
Thanks for the kind words.

jamesbond

#70 Post by jamesbond »

smokey01 wrote:Richard I haven't installed any Samsung packages from the repo. I'm just advising my printer driver is not in the default packages like Saluki.

Cheers
Grant, we decided early on that proprietary printer drivers will not be included of the base ISO.

capicoso

#71 Post by capicoso »

hey. I'm going to try it, but i have a few questions.
I have an i5 2.4ghz, 4gb ram. I'm using precise puppy right now. Will Fatdog run better? Are there any compatibility problems? With libs, programs... Can i install a 32bit app? If i use a 64bit linux i'll try to install 64bits apps, but maybe some programs aren't 64bit capable yet... I ask all these things because i have 64bits processors since 2005 but i've never used 64bit OS because there were compatibility problems, not many programs were 64bits(on the Windows world) i don't know how it's right now on linux. But searching i found that everyone suggests i.e Ubuntu 32bit PAE over 64bit. Just now with the Precise Ubuntu they're suggesting to change to 64bit...
thanks

smokey01

#72 Post by smokey01 »

jamesbond wrote:
smokey01 wrote:Richard I haven't installed any Samsung packages from the repo. I'm just advising my printer driver is not in the default packages like Saluki.

Cheers
Grant, we decided early on that proprietary printer drivers will not be included of the base ISO.
James, good idea. I was just announcing my findings. It's easy enough to install a package as long as it's available and it this case it appears to be.

Thanks

smokey01

#73 Post by smokey01 »

Thanks Grant, I will add xvidcap to the pet repo. Screencaster stays because it is just a small script utilising a tool already in the base Fatdog (=ffmpeg).
I might have a look at that script because it doesn't work very well. The created video is very jerky and I don't think there was sound either.

I have a bit of code here that may do a better job.

Thanks

gcmartin

#74 Post by gcmartin »

@Kirk
Another Puppyite offered this when he wrote:Setting up the country specific settings, the first time, is more complicated because you have to use three separate tools to do it.
The first two ask you to restart X and you have to say no, and the third one doesn't ask you and you have to remember to do it!
As reported before to you, localization is a royal PAIN!.

Would you or someone please offer a single screen localization for this fine distro.

It would make all of our users, new and experienced, an easier startup with little to no thoughts. You have done great things with this offering to have this oversight be so apparent.

You guys know I am a fan for the 64bit efforts you have done. So, this is not a message of displeasure as its one of eye opening.....Please.

Jim1911

Re: Fatdog64-600b1

#75 Post by Jim1911 »

Billtoo wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Billtoo, what's your secret for installing the NVIDIA driver? When I execute

Code: Select all

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.53.run
it naturally complains about the nouveau driver being in use. Every time I try to get rid of it I manage to trash the save file when I delete nouveau files. Xorgwizard-old only allows selection of proper resolution, option to choose the vesa driver never appears. Putting "pfix=vesa" in my menu.lst and rebooting after deleting nouveau files also trashes the save file. So I wind up having to restore the save file with the nouveau driver. :( What file do I need to edit so that vesa will be selected?

Thanks,
Jim
Hi jim,

When the installer warns about the nouveau driver it then offers to
try to remove it, I answer yes to that, and then hit enter once
more to get back to the prompt.
Once back at the prompt I enter reboot, after rebooting and getting
back to the desktop I exit to the prompt again and rerun the Nvidia
installer, once it has finished I answer yes when it asks to update
the xorg.conf.
Now just enter xwin to get back to the desktop and the driver is
working.

The screen is a little garbled when running the Nvidia installer so
it's pretty hard to see the prompts, I always say no when it asks to
install the 32 bit compatability stuff.
Hi Bill,
Thanks, your technique worked for me also.

Jim :D

gcmartin

#76 Post by gcmartin »

capicoso wrote:hey. I'm going to try it, but i have a few questions. ... Precise Ubuntu they're suggesting to change to 64bit...
The 64bit Puppy distros have been very stable and fast.

This, too, is one of those. You should NOT expect any problems from most everything that you see on its desktop as well as those program extenstions you'll find in its PPM.

There are a "ton" of programs that are specifically 64bit. I have not install any 32bit apps on a 64bit platform, so I will NOT be any assistance with that. But, I am aware that there is a package call Wine which once installed, will allow you to run Microsoft programs on your 64bit system. My current advice is to NOT do the Wine thing until this distro, FATDOG600 goes golden (general availability).

Expect a happy experience once you're up and going.

01micko

#77 Post by 01micko »

smokey01 wrote:JWM has a few missing icons in the menu system. I'm not a fan of OpenBox, far too bland.
I prefer JWM too Grant :) .

I took the liberty to patch our bash master's (aka technosaurus) jwm_menu_create to find the icons, in the spirit of pure bash (not that I'm any good at that!).

Here's a patch;

--- /usr/bin/jwm_menu_create.orig	2012-06-10 22:41:13.000000000 +1000
+++ /usr/bin/jwm_menu_create	2012-06-17 07:43:56.206925689 +1000
@@ -18,7 +18,7 @@
 		case $LINE in
 			Name=*|Name?${myLANG%_*}?=*) NAME="${LINE#*=}"'' ;; # sc0ttman... should use "Name[$myLANG]=" if found
 #			Comment=*|Comment?${LANG%_*}?=*) COMMENT="${LINE#*=}"''  ;; #jwm doesn't support tooltips on menu items yet ... uncomment this if it ever does
-			Icon=*) ICON="${LINE#*=}"''  ;;
+			Icon=*) ICON="${LINE#*=}"'' ; ! [[ ${ICON##*.} = xpm || ${ICON##*.} = png ]] &&  ICON=${ICON}.png ;;
 			Categories=*) CATS="${LINE#*=}"'' ;;
 			Exec=*) EXEC="${LINE#*=}"'' ;;
 			NoDisplay=*true*) continue 2 ;; # skip this file
Now if none of that makes any sense just (as root) open /usr/bin/jwm_menu_create and replace line 21:

Icon=*) ICON="${LINE#*=}"''  ;;
with

Icon=*) ICON="${LINE#*=}"'' ; ! [[ ${ICON#*.} = xpm || ${ICON#*.} = png ]] &&  ICON=${ICON}.png ;;
Cut and paste from the forum should work fine.

Also you need to edit $HOME/.jwm/JWMRC, I'd provide a patch for this too but since it's in $HOME I can't.

@Line 101 add "/usr/shar/icons" to the ICONPATH variable array. It should look something like this:

ICONPATH="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps /usr/share/pixmaps /usr/share/icons /usr/local/share/pixmaps"
After that run fixmenus then jwm -reload.

This doesn't fix every icon but does fix most.

HTH

Cheers

EDIT:

Icon=*) ICON="${LINE#*=}"'' ; ! [[ ${ICON##*.} = xpm || ${ICON##*.} = png ]] &&  ICON=${ICON}.png ;;
Need 2 "##" in case there is a DOT or two in the filename
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

capicoso

#78 Post by capicoso »

gcmartin wrote:
capicoso wrote:hey. I'm going to try it, but i have a few questions. ... Precise Ubuntu they're suggesting to change to 64bit...
The 64bit Puppy distros have been very stable and fast.

This, too, is one of those. You should NOT expect any problems from most everything that you see on its desktop as well as those program extenstions you'll find in its PPM.

There are a "ton" of programs that are specifically 64bit. I have not install any 32bit apps on a 64bit platform, so I will NOT be any assistance with that. But, I am aware that there is a package call Wine which once installed, will allow you to run Microsoft programs on your 64bit system. My current advice is to NOT do the Wine thing until this distro, FATDOG600 goes golden (general availability).

Expect a happy experience once you're up and going.
I'm trying it now. And it goes good. I don't plan to use Wine, i don't use windows for anything. I notice that it consumes way more ram, but the cpu usage % is very low. I'll try to compile the programs i need. BTW why is the DEVX.sfs so big?

jamesbond

#79 Post by jamesbond »

capicoso wrote:I'm trying it now. And it goes good. I don't plan to use Wine, i don't use windows for anything. I notice that it consumes way more ram, but the cpu usage % is very low. I'll try to compile the programs i need. BTW why is the DEVX.sfs so big?
Because it contains the kernel source too.

jamesbond

#80 Post by jamesbond »

01micko wrote: I took the liberty to patch our bash master's (aka technosaurus) jwm_menu_create to find the icons, in the spirit of pure bash (not that I'm any good at that!).

Here's a patch;

--- /usr/bin/jwm_menu_create.orig	2012-06-10 22:41:13.000000000 +1000
+++ /usr/bin/jwm_menu_create	2012-06-17 07:43:56.206925689 +1000
@@ -18,7 +18,7 @@
 		case $LINE in
 			Name=*|Name?${myLANG%_*}?=*) NAME="${LINE#*=}"'' ;; # sc0ttman... should use "Name[$myLANG]=" if found
 #			Comment=*|Comment?${LANG%_*}?=*) COMMENT="${LINE#*=}"''  ;; #jwm doesn't support tooltips on menu items yet ... uncomment this if it ever does
-			Icon=*) ICON="${LINE#*=}"''  ;;
+			Icon=*) ICON="${LINE#*=}"'' ; ! [[ ${ICON#*.} = xpm || ${ICON#*.} = png ]] &&  ICON=${ICON}.png ;;
 			Categories=*) CATS="${LINE#*=}"'' ;;
 			Exec=*) EXEC="${LINE#*=}"'' ;;
 			NoDisplay=*true*) continue 2 ;; # skip this file
Thanks Mick. Will merge that patch to the main sfs.
Also you need to edit $HOME/.jwm/JWMRC, I'd provide a patch for this too but since it's in $HOME I can't.

@Line 101 add "/usr/shar/icons" to the ICONPATH variable array. It should look something like this:

ICONPATH="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps /usr/share/pixmaps /usr/share/icons /usr/local/share/pixmaps"
The source of JWMRC is in /etc/xdg/templates, you can edit the icon path there. I will merge this to the main sfs too.

cheers!