I wish for a 32-bit multi-user version for next Puppy!

This is where threads concerning the development of the next version of Puppy live.
Turpin

#16 Post by Turpin »

For crying out loud, why does ANY distro have multi-user, to restrict apps from doing much damage in case of compromise, for one. WHy does Fat-Dog bother to have it? All we 32-bit users want is a 32-bit version. No need for all this.

Wouldn't it be nice if Puppy were the distro to recommend to people with slow old hardware? Like it was originally? And not require these noobs to run as root? The exact people who REALLY shouldn't run as root?

But, yeah, if no one feels motivated, I'm not going to guilt trip. I'm not doing it either. I'm a somewhat skilled user who only peeks into puppy once in a while. Lately into this forum just to see if there's ANY PUPPY I can run on 32-bit hardware, not full-time as root. It makes me sad I can't use and promote Puppy to people. It is nice and compact and that's what I really like about it.

jrb

#17 Post by jrb »

Turpin wrote:It makes me sad I can't use and promote Puppy to people. It is nice and compact and that's what I really like about it.
Have a look at Porteus. You can choose your options, browser, OS, etc. The Xfce version is very close to newer Puppies in size and functionality and you can choose to autologin as "guest",

I've been playing with it for a little while and quite like it.

Cheers, J

Dry Falls

#18 Post by Dry Falls »

Turpin wrote:The exact people who REALLY shouldn't run as root?
I know that most folks resist learning new things (they're already too highly trained!), but where is the option to learn from your mistakes in this push-button, automated insta-world? Are we looking for a technological perfection which precludes mistakes in the first place? What about an urge to explore? to take things apart to see how they work? Are we to kill what's left of the child in us?

The beauty of puppy is that it lets you do all these things. You can always start over from scratch and have the operating system boot up fresh no matter what you've done to your save-file. Obviously, this isn't for everybody like Microsoft & Sauron's great ring of power were meant to be. If you just want to get online to count your facebook friends, get a smart phone. Puppy was meant for tinkerers.

df

puppyluvr

#19 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Run as root, or type su/sudo.
BFD.
I could make a locked down Puppy.
Require a password to do most anything.
But if a guest can elevate their permissions, what's the point?
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

starhawk

#20 Post by starhawk »

Dry Falls wrote:I know that most folks resist learning new things (they're already too highly trained!), but where is the option to learn from your mistakes in this push-button, automated insta-world? Are we looking for a technological perfection which precludes mistakes in the first place? What about an urge to explore? to take things apart to see how they work? Are we to kill what's left of the child in us?

The beauty of puppy is that it lets you do all these things. You can always start over from scratch and have the operating system boot up fresh no matter what you've done to your save-file. Obviously, this isn't for everybody like Microsoft & Sauron's great ring of power were meant to be. If you just want to get online to count your facebook friends, get a smart phone. Puppy was meant for tinkerers.

df
THANK YOU. Seriously. I've been looking for this exact phrasing (and didn't know it) for some time. This is Puppy in two paragraphs, spot on.

Thank you SO MUCH.

8Geee

#21 Post by 8Geee »

I agree with puppyluvr
Elevated priviledges are the Devil in M$ products. Not for puppy IMHO.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

NeroVance

#22 Post by NeroVance »

Turpin wrote:For crying out loud, why does ANY distro have multi-user, to restrict apps from doing much damage in case of compromise, for one. WHy does Fat-Dog bother to have it? All we 32-bit users want is a 32-bit version. No need for all this.

Wouldn't it be nice if Puppy were the distro to recommend to people with slow old hardware? Like it was originally? And not require these noobs to run as root? The exact people who REALLY shouldn't run as root?

But, yeah, if no one feels motivated, I'm not going to guilt trip. I'm not doing it either. I'm a somewhat skilled user who only peeks into puppy once in a while. Lately into this forum just to see if there's ANY PUPPY I can run on 32-bit hardware, not full-time as root. It makes me sad I can't use and promote Puppy to people. It is nice and compact and that's what I really like about it.
For a second there I almost thought you were asking why any modern distro even needs Multiuser :wink:

I understand your frustration, even I have noticed Puppy has been going down the 64bit road. I think it is not a bad thing, but 32bit is still vital for Puppy indeed. Though I will admit, for some I do understand that it isn't as bad for Puppy to have single user than others might think, but if you want traditional *nix-style puppy then you kinda need multiuser. That and sometimes you don't want to leave a refurbished system in the hands of people who could easily break it accidentally if given admin powers, let alone young children if you are trying to introduce schools to Linux or something along those lines :?