Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 May 2017, 08:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development
I wish for a 32-bit multi-user version for next Puppy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Author Message
Turpin


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 20:45    Post subject:  

For crying out loud, why does ANY distro have multi-user, to restrict apps from doing much damage in case of compromise, for one. WHy does Fat-Dog bother to have it? All we 32-bit users want is a 32-bit version. No need for all this.

Wouldn't it be nice if Puppy were the distro to recommend to people with slow old hardware? Like it was originally? And not require these noobs to run as root? The exact people who REALLY shouldn't run as root?

But, yeah, if no one feels motivated, I'm not going to guilt trip. I'm not doing it either. I'm a somewhat skilled user who only peeks into puppy once in a while. Lately into this forum just to see if there's ANY PUPPY I can run on 32-bit hardware, not full-time as root. It makes me sad I can't use and promote Puppy to people. It is nice and compact and that's what I really like about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jrb


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 1066
Location: Smithers, BC, Canada

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2015, 23:55    Post subject:  

Turpin wrote:
It makes me sad I can't use and promote Puppy to people. It is nice and compact and that's what I really like about it.

Have a look at Porteus. You can choose your options, browser, OS, etc. The Xfce version is very close to newer Puppies in size and functionality and you can choose to autologin as "guest",

I've been playing with it for a little while and quite like it.

Cheers, J
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Dry Falls

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Posts: 475
Location: Upper Columbia

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2015, 17:58    Post subject:  

Turpin wrote:
The exact people who REALLY shouldn't run as root?

I know that most folks resist learning new things (they're already too highly trained!), but where is the option to learn from your mistakes in this push-button, automated insta-world? Are we looking for a technological perfection which precludes mistakes in the first place? What about an urge to explore? to take things apart to see how they work? Are we to kill what's left of the child in us?

The beauty of puppy is that it lets you do all these things. You can always start over from scratch and have the operating system boot up fresh no matter what you've done to your save-file. Obviously, this isn't for everybody like Microsoft & Sauron's great ring of power were meant to be. If you just want to get online to count your facebook friends, get a smart phone. Puppy was meant for tinkerers.

df
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
puppyluvr


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 3441
Location: Chickasha Oklahoma

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2015, 22:11    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Run as root, or type su/sudo.
BFD.
I could make a locked down Puppy.
Require a password to do most anything.
But if a guest can elevate their permissions, what's the point?

_________________
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am the Admin of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 5056
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2015, 22:37    Post subject:  

Dry Falls wrote:
I know that most folks resist learning new things (they're already too highly trained!), but where is the option to learn from your mistakes in this push-button, automated insta-world? Are we looking for a technological perfection which precludes mistakes in the first place? What about an urge to explore? to take things apart to see how they work? Are we to kill what's left of the child in us?

The beauty of puppy is that it lets you do all these things. You can always start over from scratch and have the operating system boot up fresh no matter what you've done to your save-file. Obviously, this isn't for everybody like Microsoft & Sauron's great ring of power were meant to be. If you just want to get online to count your facebook friends, get a smart phone. Puppy was meant for tinkerers.

df


THANK YOU. Seriously. I've been looking for this exact phrasing (and didn't know it) for some time. This is Puppy in two paragraphs, spot on.

Thank you SO MUCH.

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8Geee


Joined: 12 May 2008
Posts: 1103
Location: N.E. USA

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun 2015, 12:23    Post subject:  

I agree with puppyluvr
Elevated priviledges are the Devil in M$ products. Not for puppy IMHO.

_________________
Linux user #498913
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
NeroVance


Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 192
Location: Halifax, Canada

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jun 2015, 22:50    Post subject:  

Turpin wrote:
For crying out loud, why does ANY distro have multi-user, to restrict apps from doing much damage in case of compromise, for one. WHy does Fat-Dog bother to have it? All we 32-bit users want is a 32-bit version. No need for all this.

Wouldn't it be nice if Puppy were the distro to recommend to people with slow old hardware? Like it was originally? And not require these noobs to run as root? The exact people who REALLY shouldn't run as root?

But, yeah, if no one feels motivated, I'm not going to guilt trip. I'm not doing it either. I'm a somewhat skilled user who only peeks into puppy once in a while. Lately into this forum just to see if there's ANY PUPPY I can run on 32-bit hardware, not full-time as root. It makes me sad I can't use and promote Puppy to people. It is nice and compact and that's what I really like about it.


For a second there I almost thought you were asking why any modern distro even needs Multiuser Wink

I understand your frustration, even I have noticed Puppy has been going down the 64bit road. I think it is not a bad thing, but 32bit is still vital for Puppy indeed. Though I will admit, for some I do understand that it isn't as bad for Puppy to have single user than others might think, but if you want traditional *nix-style puppy then you kinda need multiuser. That and sometimes you don't want to leave a refurbished system in the hands of people who could easily break it accidentally if given admin powers, let alone young children if you are trying to introduce schools to Linux or something along those lines Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0904s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0119s) ][ GZIP on ]