Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 02:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Good Riddance
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
the last saviour

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2012, 06:35    Post_subject:  Good Riddance
Sub_title: How to get rid of those stubborn files.

Good Riddance
I believe many Linux users had already experienced some stubborn files happened after the incompleted process of files copy or delete. Besides it makes other files and folders becomed undeletable too. This is quite a unique feature of Linux (unwanted), isn't it?
Last month I had experienced it again, caused by my US$1 USB cable or multicard reader, . But a few days ago I found a easy trick to delete those stubborn files.

I had used GParted to resize my micro SD card partition. Then after new partition was created, I found there's a lot of strange files created, but they were easily deleted, which mean those original files and folders become editable again.
So GParted had created a new directory tree and turn those corrupted file allocation into the junk files.

PRO: This resize-partition process is only 1 minute (P4 2.66, ram bus 333). So it's much convenienced than copying data to another storage, format the drive and move those data back again, especially when there are many thousands of files or other storage is not big enough. Smile

CON: My micro SD card became unboostable, (..................Kill Knit..................) Sad

Many thanks to Jemimah whose Saluki Custom Builder had put me into the condition to get the EXT3 partition.

7 giant UFOs, ~10 km long. will perform the next Exodus at the top major cities. No disc type, but funny design which can make U smile or laugh.
Aitch

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2012, 07:49    Post_subject:  

Re your con:

You should be able to set the boot flag in gparted to restore 'boostability' Wink

Aitch Smile
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2012, 12:43    Post_subject: files undeleteable  

[quote]I believe many Linux users had already experienced some stubborn files happened after the incompleted process of files copy or delete. Besides it makes other files and folders becomed undeletable too. This is quite a unique feature of Linux (unwanted), isn't it?[/quote]
No i don't know exactly what you mean .
[quote]I had used GParted to resize my micro SD card partition. Then after new partition was created[/quote]
Resizing does not create a new partition with a new partition number .

Gparted does a lot of fsck ing on the partition , so assuming you mean "Stale files" gparted might have fscked them right . '-y' option to fsck can also end up in a lot of files in 'lost+found' instead of a nice repair .

[quote]I believe many Linux users had already experienced some stubborn files happened after the incompleted process of files copy or delete. Besides it makes other files and folders becomed undeletable too. This is quite a unique feature of Linux (unwanted), isn't it?[/quote]
Probably now i understand what you mean .

pfix=fsck is one of the common Puppy bootparameters, that would show up in F2/F3 help.msg .

Seems that 10% of Puppians run Puppy for several years without having knowledge of fsck .
:roll: If i had their money and their modern hardware i probably would not know it also :P
postfs1

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2012, 18:36    Post_subject: Re: Good Riddance
Sub_title: How to get rid of those stubborn files.

the last saviour wrote:
I believe many Linux users had already experienced some stubborn files happened after the incompleted process of files copy or delete. Besides it makes other files and folders becomed undeletable too. This is quite a unique feature of Linux (unwanted), isn't it?

I use the "Puppy Linux" OS from the CD/DVD. If something strange is growing then i execute rebooting at some size of not free space in RAM. I want to find those strange files, which fill free space in the RAM. For copying i use curl.

the last saviour

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul 2012, 07:33    Post_subject:  

Many thanks to all comments.

7 giant UFOs, ~10 km long. will perform the next Exodus at the top major cities. No disc type, but funny design which can make U smile or laugh.
glene77is

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul 2012, 18:39    Post_subject:  

The Last

Good point.

Make a new partition, somewhere.
Copy your 'good' files over.
Use GpartEd to 'delete' the partition with 'bad' files.
Use GpartEd to 'create' a new partition.
Copy your 'good' files back.

Never thought of it, myself ! Rolling Eyes

the last saviour

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2012, 07:49    Post_subject:    

I would like to encourage you using the GPart method which is faster and convenience.
Maybe next time you will try.

Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2012, 08:15    Post_subject:  

the last saviour wrote:
I would like to encourage you using the GPart method which is faster and convenience.
Maybe next time you will try.

Do you refer to gparted, parted or gpart ?

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02964
Quote:
I also added this DEB package to Precise Puppy:

gpart
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80251
the last saviour

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2012, 05:44    Post_subject:    

If you can make a new partition from those pets, you can try it.
If they don't work, you should use the first one I mentioned.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum