Alternative to pmode=6

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
JustGreg

Alternative to pmode=6

#1 Post by JustGreg »

Use of pmode=6 for Puppy is experimental and often has problems. The idea is to use a fugal installation, but, still have access to the entire Linux partition. This allows one to use the space of the partition and not just that of the save file.

I have tried using pmode=6 with every Puppy since this mode came out. In general, it has not worked, either with shut down problems or adding an extra sfs results in errors.

I have come up with an alternative way of getting to the rest of the Linux partition without using pmode=6 installation. I do a normal fugal installation with a save file of 512 Megabyte size. I set the installation with the needed additions, either Pets or additional sfs files. I then use Rox filer to create a symbolic link to /mnt/home. The link name by default is "home". I can now use the extra partition space from within the save file. The browser download directory is now in the existing partition space and not the save file.

The system shutdowns or reboots properly. On startup, both the save file and home partition under FSCK without errors. For experimenting or development work (with devx sfs) this is a good alternative. I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Nice idea. i will have a play with this. Sick of running out of savefile space...

JustGreg

#3 Post by JustGreg »

Greengeek, thank you for the reply. I am interested in how this works for you. I have another experiment that I will be trying. I will move root directory out of the save file to the main partition (/mnt/home) and place a link to it in the save file. One needs to do this with another system running and not the one you are planning to modify. I will report if this works.

Follow up: It did not work. The "root" directory needs to be in the save file for proper startup. However, one should be able to move some sub-directories . We see what happens.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much