How to start google earth??? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
OldAndInTheWay

How to start google earth??? (Solved)

#1 Post by OldAndInTheWay »

how do I start google earth, latest sfs from Fatdog
Last edited by OldAndInTheWay on Tue 26 Mar 2019, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, OldAndInTheWay. And Image to 'the kennels'...

AFAIK, there's usually a sym-link from /opt/google/earth/free/googleearth to /usr/bin/google-earth. But that's in Puppy. FatDog does things differently; I believe it uses a /home directory, along the same lines as many of the 'mainstream' distros.....the more so, since these days it's built entirely from the ground up, based on Linux From Scratch (LFS).

Whatever, the 'executable is always 'googleearth' in the /google/earth/free/ directory. I believe the current' Pro' builds now have the /path as /google/earth/pro/googleearth. This always used to be in /opt.....but I have no idea how FD does things, I'm afraid.

You can try :-

Code: Select all

google-earth-pro
.....in the terminal (in case there is a sym-link in /usr/bin), though I don't honestly know whether FD runs as 'root' any more, or whether it runs from a /home/user-directory these days... I've 'dabbled' with FD in the past, but I just can't get my head round the way in which some of the stuff runs..! :oops:

You'd be better off asking this in the FatDog thread; the guys there will know exactly the answer to this, since they use FatDog every day. There's enough differences between FD and the majority of Puppies that many Puppy-only users (like yours truly!) now have difficulties in always being able to answer FatDog questions correctly.

FatDog64 800 Final

Hope some of the above may perhaps help.....or at least point you in the right direction.

Mike. :wink:

OldAndInTheWay

#3 Post by OldAndInTheWay »

Hi Mike, thank you for your reply. I did some poking around and found it in /opt. Navigated to the executable and clicked, nothing, then made it executable but still no go. The .sfs is loaded on boot. Still scratching my head on this. I have an hp quad-core amd with an amd kabini graphics card. Google earth has worked on this machine before so I think I am missing a library. Running google-earth-pro from the terminal says I am missing /libproxy.so.1 Dang it but fatdog's package manager doesn't have it.

superchook

How to start google earth???

#4 Post by superchook »

How I got it to work.
1) Open a terminal and change directory to /lib64
2)create a symbolic link

ln -s ld-2.27.so ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3

3) close the terminal

4) Load the google-earth-2019.02.sfs ( I think you have already done this)
5) Navigate to /opt/google/earth/pro/
6) Drag 'n Drop the google-earth-pro icon with the arrow sticking out onto the desktop
7)clicking on this icon starts google earth,

HTH
Ken

OldAndInTheWay

#5 Post by OldAndInTheWay »

Thanks for helping out superchook, but I still get the same error. The .sfs is flawed. Now to go to the Slackware repos to find libproxy.so.1 grrrr

OldAndInTheWay

#6 Post by OldAndInTheWay »

Yay and awesome and bitchen, not necessarily in that order. Got it working, went to slackware and got libproxy-0.4.15-x86_64-3.txz.

Life can now be lived again.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ OldAndInTheWay:-

Good, good; glad to hear you're 'sorted'.

I'll repeat what I've stated on here before. When searching around for missing dependencies, don't just limit yourself to the 'official' repos of your Pup's parent distro. It doesn't make a scrap of difference how an item is packaged; .debs, .rpms, .txz packages.....it makes no difference. It's the contents of the package (the actual 'lib' itself) which you're interested in; it doesn't matter where it comes from. The various formats are merely conventions for the different types of package manager in use around the Linux eco-system. The contents, for any given item, will always be the same thing.

So long as the content is a new enough version for your application to be happy with it, you can use any of 'em. However, if you're in a Slacko, or Slackware-based Puppy, you do have the advantage that the PPM will install a '.txz' package directly. The other formats will need extracting to get at the contents (UExtract is excellent for this); after which you simply put it in the appropriate place in the file-system.

https://pkgs.org is a very good resource for this kind of exercise. It's worth bookmarking, just in case; you never know when it might come in handy.

Mike. :wink: