Slacko 5.3.3.2 alpha (shooting for 5.3.4)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

Slackare 14 beta

#136 Post by 01micko »

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for continued testing and reports, but this version of Slacko is not going to be released.

Pat Volkerding (Slackware benevolent dictator) has just announced that Slackware is in Beta.. which means a new version will happen soon. The changelogs for current have been extremely busy the last week or three .

So hang around everyone.. there will be a new exciting alpha in the coming months.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

Re: Slackare 14 beta

#137 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:So hang around everyone.. there will be a new exciting alpha in the coming months.
:D

James C

Re: Slackare 14 beta

#138 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: So hang around everyone.. there will be a new exciting alpha in the coming months.
Cool...... :)

vicmz

Re: Japanese remastered

#139 Post by vicmz »

shinobar wrote:Someone may be interested in.
Japanese remastered slacko-5.3.3.2-JP.iso
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?pu ... emastered/

Removed mesa drivers, gutenprint, seamonkey.
Add Japanese stuff and Japanese seamonkey as an additional SFS.

Optional mesa drivers:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/slacko/mesa/
I'm learning Japanese, so I downloaded the ISO file to give it a go. Runs just as well as the original Slacko. 8)

The only thing I wasn't able to do is boot with a session file. In fact, I can't boot at all if there's a removable drive plugged in (I was told it could be pupsaveconfig but Saluki has that program and I can save to session file successfully). I think it could be because: 1) my computer is outdated (512MB 2.0Ghz), or 2) my computer is made in a different way or lacks something I don't know.

Something I haven't tried yet is formatting the flash drive to a linux partition and doing a full install, or just save session to the linux partition. I'll let you know if I do it. But before, what should I use, ext2, ext3 or ext4?

shinobar

Re: Japanese remastered

#140 Post by shinobar »

vicmz wrote:
shinobar wrote:Someone may be interested in.
Japanese remastered slacko-5.3.3.2-JP.iso
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?pu ... emastered/
I'm learning Japanese, so I downloaded the ISO file to give it a go. Runs just as well as the original Slacko.
Thanks for testing, but this version is not going to be released. :lol:

The Japanese team has released the Lupu-528JP (Japanese/English bilingual).
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79934
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

sszindian

#141 Post by sszindian »

OH My... what a shame this build was 'stopped' it really has so, so much potential...

Bad points I have found only amount to a few, the good points are many!

Bad points:
(1) mtpaint only seems to want to load '.png' extension files, either direct in mtpaint or from a file-set with the 'load with' option. shouldn't be too hard for someone with some programming ability to figure this one out?

(2) ScreenSaver Control function does not work (Desktop Menu) but... that may be due to the fact I have slackeware's xscreensaver-15 installed (from the PPM) which by the way works very well in this build, every screensaver 'works' EXCEPT those that require a graphic or picture load (Carousel, GLSlideshow etc.) I have done a lot of research on this and have tried fix's that some say work in other distro's, but as yet I haven't hit the right combination for Slacko xscreensaver-15?

(3) WiFi was bit of a hastle setting up but since, it works very well and has only had but a few 'drops' after the last several weeks of testing. It configures itself automatically on startup...

And really, that's about the only bad points I can find in this build, at least so far and I am using it a lot... a very lot!

Good Points: (and I will say this refering to previous Slacko builds and I tested just about every one since the way-back start and development of Spup.)

(1) Graphic display is just super, editing programs, Internet, what have you.

(2) Google Earth.... never, and I mean never have I had a googleearth that worked as fast and smooth as it does in this build!

(3) Font Display... absolutely the clearest, nicest looking that has ever been in any puppy build, it's a pleasure to surf the Internet and read things.

Now, I know mick is off working on another build using the latest '14' from Slackware but the reason I am posting here is for those of you who may want to use (at least I believe) is the 'Best' Slacko for general use that has been developed by 01mick0 up to now!

I hope his new build has many of the same 'good' features this build has, then it will surely be a winner!!! In the meantime, I see nothing wrong with using the latest build here!

Just a simple tester....

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

8-bit

#142 Post by 8-bit »

I had seen a few people that would like to have Gxine with all of its dependencies as a PET for Slacko.
One thing it has that most of the audio mixer control panels do not have that helped me out in the earlier days of Puppy is a setting in it for audio that has a slider called amplification.
It allowed me to increase the volume of my sound card when alsa-mixer setting of PCM to the maximum did not increase the volume to my liking.
It also seemed to stay with the hardware as setting the amplification in Gxine also increased the default volume in Windows on the same machine.
I offer this suggestion for those that have trouble getting their audio volume to a point that they can hear it comfortably.
I did a quick and dirty install in Slacko 5.3.3 and had some problems as I did not have the codecs loaded for it.
The result of that was no video.
But just maybe a developer can make an updated PET of Gxine for Slacko with all required dependencies for those that liked Gxine.
Of course, the codecs would also be needed.
Am I asking too much?
I always liked Gxine and from reading a few threads, it seems like Flash did too.

arcanis

#143 Post by arcanis »

+1 on the amplifier slider. It was a help and I had forgotten about it.
One of the quirks of Puppy is typically a lower volume level than those of us who grew up listening to AC/DC think appropriate.
There are those who say that I lost some of my hearing back then, or so I am told.
I've never heard any comment like that. :lol: