How to run 64-bit applications in 4.3.0?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Arun01

How to run 64-bit applications in 4.3.0?

#1 Post by Arun01 »

Hi ,

i am currently using puppy Linux 4.3.0. i am trying to run 64 bit
application in puppy Linux .
its not supported in puppy. i think fat dog could support.

Is i need to install fat dog OS separately or is there any package to upgrade 4.3.0 to fat dog.

is there any other solution to run 64 bit application in puppy.

thanks
arun

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Hello Arun01,

There is no way to run 64 bit applications inside a 32 bit operating system as far as I know.

The infrastructure in FatDog is quite different from that of puppy-430 so there is no way you can update to FatDog from any 32 bit puppy really. That said, you will likely find that all the applications you currently have installed in 32 bit puppy will have equivalents in FatDog and if not will be able to be compiled. You should be able to migrate any necessary data manually.

There is 32 bit compatibility available for FatDog but you may have varying results if you use older applications. Many of the current Slacko 32 bit applications may run. However, you are better off to stick with 64 bit applications if possible.

Hope this answers your query.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

oui

#3 Post by oui »

Hello Arun01

You may perhaps install Fatdog on your PC, but your have to consider divers not comprehensible limits: Fatdog is probably a Puppy but is absolutely not clean! There is in my opinion: no other Puppy with the exactly the same offer of environment. So I did renounce to use it in my family network only on ONE of FIVE PC's because a lot of things are different!

I find it is not responsible: If a thing is a child of an other thing, it has to have or herite all figures of the mother thing and can offer over the same more but not less...

It is not right to name Fatdog as a full Puppy version: it is a Puppy like but not a Puppy!

If you know that, you can try it. Diverse things are good and can help.

But if you have more persons in your environment not being ready to re-learn a great amount of things, don't change: you can run normally Puppies on AMD64 and don't need fatdog at all!

gcmartin

Recommendation for 64bit program operation

#4 Post by gcmartin »

FATDOG600 is currently undergoing a beta test. There are many changes afoot.

You would also be served well should you look at another of the 64bit PUPs. Its LightHouse64. The Mariner version is a much-much fuller featured distro of all of the PUPs we have. It has features for 64bit and 32bit programs built-in in its packaging so that you don't have to hunt for adding it to the system OOTB. It follows traditional Puppy PPM lines as well should you want to add subsystem extensions or programs. Further, LH64 will share information with every PC/Mac/Android/iPhone/game/Entertainment Center on your LAN that was ever built up thru and including 2012. Its been tested and is fully operational OOTB.

Its been stabilized.

Hope this helps

openwell3

lighthouse development on-hold, due to illness

#5 Post by openwell3 »

Hi,
I use fd64-521 and am happy and sticking to it. Runs fast and has many nice features. Like frisbee wifi and handbrake dvd ripper.
Having trouble with new fd-600s, have to compile apps and drivers for my needs. Need devx and compile some things. Wait until final 600 ver
Looked at Lighthouse and was going to try it.
But development is on-hold due to illness according to web page.
If you want to try fd64, try fd64-521 before new fd64-600a2 or b1.
Good luck,

Arun01

#6 Post by Arun01 »

HI All,

thanks for your info.

i have some query .my application had both 64 bit and 32 bits apps.

i am unable to run (tibco)32 bits in fatdog.

could u help me how to run 32 bits in fatdog.

is there any other puppy version which could run both ? or how to make

to fatdog to run 32 bits.

thanks

Arun