Bluetooth for Slacko?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.

Have a Bluetooth Keyboard that you use with Puppy?

yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes: 14

drspastic

#16 Post by drspastic »

i actually have a bluetooth headset and a specific need for support, if anyone can help.
i have an old bt 2 headset that i pulled apart and turned into a dongle for my ft817 radio tranceiver. i went mad with a glue gun and its now a wireless module that clicks nicely ito the side of the radio.
at th moment i can only use it with my wm5 ipaq and pockedigi to gain rtty and psk31 mode but i would love to use it with puppy via my old sitecom usb bt2 dongle and fldigi or pskmail.
the nearest i got was with puppeee (thanks jemimah) where t connects and pairs but theres no provision to route audio.
im now on lucid and i cant even get a pairing

Eldon

#17 Post by Eldon »

I'm not sure what you'd have to install to get bt audio support, but the bluez package may have it built in, and along with the bluetooth pet above you should get it to connect. If not, try some of the command line commands.

Specifically you may have to start the bluetooth daemon by typing in bluetoothd at the terminal. Of course, you may or may not need to do the modprobe commands and hciconfig hci0 up.

That said, have you confirmed that the dongle is fully functional? I mean, if you pulled it out of another headset, then there may be a number of problems with it, or your modifications. I do like your style of salvaging parts, though.

I'm not sure if the bluez for lucid or slacko has audio support, but if it does it may work just with the packages above, and if not you may try going here:
http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/build.html

Good luck and keep me apprised.
Last edited by Eldon on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

I have several wireless keyboards of different makes and several wireless mice of different makes, and they have all worked in Puppy the first time I tried them. I assume they all use Bluetooth, except one wireless keyboard which is so old that I think it uses vacuum tubes.

Do the bluetooth keyboards work when Puppy first starts to boot, when the boot option screen shows?

Eldon

#19 Post by Eldon »

Flash wrote:I have several wireless keyboards of different makes and several wireless mice of different makes, and they have all worked in Puppy the first time I tried them. I assume they all use Bluetooth, except one wireless keyboard which is so old that I think it uses vacuum tubes.

Do the bluetooth keyboards work when Puppy first starts to boot, when the boot option screen shows?
Unless they have the "B" logo on them or said somewhere on the package or device that uses the bluetooth protocol, you should assume that it does NOT use bluetooth. Bluetooth and wireless aren't synonyms. Most "wireless" keyboards and mice are just RF, not bluetooth. It could say "wireless" and be FM for all you know!

I have an old one-handed trackball that has a usb wireless thing about as wide as my fist and an inch deep. Now they are about as small as some bt devices, and many newer computers have bt receivers built in so it's harder to tell which is which. If you have a new laptop with built in BT and your "wireless" device needs a usb dongle to work with it, it's not BT. If you have two dongles for two devices and each only works with their specific dongle, then one of them isn't BT.

Bluetooth devices often require you to "pair" them. If you don't see a BT device listed in your hardware settings, then it's not BT.

Seeing as the boot option screen doesn't load bluetooth drivers, bt devices shouldn't work at that point, unless maybe there's a special bios out there that can use bt devices.
Last edited by Eldon on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 22:49, edited 2 times in total.

Karl Godt

#20 Post by Karl Godt »

http://pastebin.com/sHTAANcv
has my bluetooth script to automatically reconnect
http://www.philips.de/c/-/spm9800_10/prd/
bluetooth mouse

connecting to a
Gembird BTD-123 Bluetooth receiver .

Mouse was 10€ and the dongle a fiver . Not worth the trouble . The mouse disconnects after a short time not being moved and the button to reconnect is only applyable for people with long finger tips .

Other then this the receiver or kernel or bluez does not like it attached to a usb hub with other devices on it . Took me a while at google search to find a gentoo forum page that told me to attach it to a root usb hub alone .

FWIW : this Bluetooth works like BroadBand internet connection . Packets are send and received . Did not knew it before .

Eldon

#21 Post by Eldon »

But it works with your automatic reconnect script, correct?

I use this ipazzport I linked to in the first post of this thread. It has a good touch pad and keyboard and came with the dongle for about $30 USD after shipping. Now that I have BT working and have it paired, Slacko detects it flawlessly.

Like your mouse, it has a power save feature where it stops transmitting after not using it for a few minutes. Luckily I don't have to pair it or manually reconnect every time this happens. I just move my finger around the touchpad for a second and it's automatically reconnected.

Karl Godt

#22 Post by Karl Godt »

Yep it works ! At the moment leave.wav says goodbye every tho seconds and now i will dooo it .. get me a screwdriver .. and woof it made .!

I got bluez up to 4.91 to compile in my grown up full installs that would each need 2 4,7 GB DVD to burn it as a distro. Puppy is quite common Linux now for me .

Karl Godt

#23 Post by Karl Godt »

Eldon :
http://www.ipazzport.com/bluetooth-keyboard.html
:?:
Are bluetooth devices . The http://www.ipazzport.com/10a.html are RF ones it seems (Karl is gooling RF now) .

Eldon

#24 Post by Eldon »

Karl Godt wrote:Eldon :
http://www.ipazzport.com/bluetooth-keyboard.html
:?:
Are bluetooth devices . The http://www.ipazzport.com/10a.html are RF ones it seems (Karl is gooling RF now) .
If the RF is as good quality as their BT models then it's probably just as good and will work with almost any linux distro. That's pretty cool.

But if you want to use it on an iPad or something, it may not work unless they have a usb port.

Those guys also have some other cool versions like this RF one:
http://unisen-usa.com/18v.html
It has a speaker and microphone and also looks like you can use that one with headphones AND you can use it as a remote control for your TV etc.!

gcmartin

An informational about Bluetooth, FYI, for the community

#25 Post by gcmartin »

I have just left a store as I was looking over the xtablets as I begin to understand a purchase need.

BT V4 was ratified last year and is now showing up. I just saw the specs on one device touting BT4.

On Wikipedia, I found
... While the Bluetooth Core Specification does mandate minimums for range, the range of the technology is application specific and is not limited. Manufacturers may tune their implementations to the range needed for individual use cases. ...
There seems to market changes as the chipsets are now being deployed in new products which are starting their advancements.

Not sure if there is any kernel understanding necessary, but I thought this a worthy note for those making new purchases.

here to help

liro

#26 Post by liro »

I thought I'd try to get Bluetooth working on my Slacko 5.3.3 Puppy, so I can quickly transfer files between my mobile phone and my laptop using a USB bluetooth dongle. I found this thread and followed Eldon's instructions...
Eldon wrote:Ok, for those wanting to install bluetooth in Slacko 5.3.1:

Install the following
Bluez firmware = DONE
Bluez libs and utilities = DONE
bluez hcidump (may not be needed but it won't hurt) = DONE
Bluetooth-0.4.pet from here = DONE

3)Reboot = DONE

You should see a bluetooth icon in the task bar.
It should be fairly straight forward from there- make sure to set it to 'visible'
You should also have some Icons in the network menu such as Bluetooth Wizard.

[
However, on rebooting there was no bluetooth icon in the task bar, and when I click on the "Bluetooth" program icon in the network menu nothing happens. I made sure I downloaded all of the dependencies when installing the above packages, so I don't think it's due to anything being missing. I did get a message about "libvisual" being missing after installing the libraries, but I later installed this myself and it made no difference.

Does anyone know how I should proceed in order to get bluetooth working on my Puppy?

Thanks.

Eldon

#27 Post by Eldon »

This is for Slacko 5.3.1

I think Slacko 5.3.3(maybe just 5.3.2) doesn't have bluetooth modules in the kernel. There is no way to make it work as far as I know.

5.4 does have bluetooth support.
Last edited by Eldon on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

Eldon

#28 Post by Eldon »

Update:
Slacko 5.4 does have bluetooth support.

Simply install the bluez utilities and Gconf from PPM and do the same as before(remember to install the bluetooth .4 pet), but if the tray icon doesn't show after restart type in bluetooth-applet in the console to initialize the tray icon.

If necessary use the previously posted command line options to get it going.

theoreo25

Thanks Eldon

#29 Post by theoreo25 »

using your method i was able to get my headset to connect to my computer... i guess its off to start another thread to figure out how to route the audio to bluetooth device. unless someone can enlighten me here.

Eldon

#30 Post by Eldon »

Do you have the bluetooth icon in the task bar? If you do, you should be able to at least see if it's recognized as a generic device or a headset. It could be that you have to "set up new device" and select headsets in the "device type" section.

If that's not the problem then I'm sure you can find a way to make it work with some patience and looking/asking around the forum.

:wink:

theoreo25

#31 Post by theoreo25 »

i have the bluetooth symbol in my task bar and i got the headset to connect as a headset. i think the issue i need to tackle now is how to re route to the sound to the bluetooth dongle.

Eldon

#32 Post by Eldon »

I thought that the bluetooth modules should do that on their own. You shouldn't need to re-route anything.

Looking around, it appears that these packages must not include alsa (sound) for headsets.

The following pet packages are from years ago so they may or may not work but it's worth a try. If it doesn't you'll at least have a better idea of what you need.

Bluetooth Alsa
Scroll down to tempestuous post about half way where he says " Here are the Bluetooth-alsa libraries and utilities. "

If those still work with Slacko then that might be all you need.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. :wink:

greengeek

#33 Post by greengeek »

Eldon wrote:Scroll down to tempestuous post about half way where he says " Here are the Bluetooth-alsa libraries and utilities. "

If those still work with Slacko then that might be all you need.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. :wink:
As far as I can tell Eldon was referring to this post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 002#164002

(I am working on getting bluetooth working on Slacko 5.6 to stream audio from a Toshiba laptop to a usb dongle that has a 3.5mm headphone/audio output which I want to connect into my stereo amp). Not working yet but I will post back if I get it working.