Boot from USB...alternative for Puppy WakeUp

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
linuph

Boot from USB...alternative for Puppy WakeUp

#1 Post by linuph »

My BIOS does not cater for USB boot. Puppy WakeUp is not practical for me because my old Compaq Presario 1712AP laptop has a so called "Future Bay". This bay either contains the floppy drive unit or the CD/DVD ROM unit. It means swapping the bay drive unit if you use the CD/DVD ROM after boot.
A more convenient way is to enable USB booting with the PLOP Boot Manager:
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html.
I have Slacko installed on a 4Gb USB stick. POP Boot Manager allows me to boot it from there after a quick boot from HD. Other boots of Slacko are possible but I haven't tried them yet.

It works fine for me. I'm just wondering if there are Puppy alternatives besides WakeUp.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

It works fine for me. I'm just wondering if there are Puppy alternatives besides WakeUp.
Read the discussion here.

linuph

#3 Post by linuph »

rcrsn51, thanks, did not see it before.
With my current solution I don't need the CD/DVD ROM but use the HD in stead. It is faster and leaves the CD/DVD ROM free for other stuff. This is especially handy if the laptop with Puppy is remote, as in my case.
Maybe I can even do a NETBOOT. I'm trying that one right now.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Linuph, as it stands this isn't much of a Howto. Could you give some details about how you installed and use the plop boot manager?

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

linuph wrote:With my current solution I don't need the CD/DVD ROM but use the HD instead. It is faster
Unlike a full boot from the Puppy CD, the combo method is not much slower than a hard drive boot.
and leaves the CD/DVD ROM free for other stuff.
Once control has jumped to the flash drive, you can remove the CD. Many users will prefer this method because they don't need to alter the boot manager on their hard drive.
This is especially handy if the laptop with Puppy is remote, as in my case.
Please explain.

linuph

#6 Post by linuph »

Sorry for my cryptic post. Let me explain better:

Puppy install:
Install to the USB from the Live CD.

PLOP Boot Manager:
Download plpbt-5.0.14.zip from: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html
Unzip and pick out plpbtin.iso under the Install directory and burn it to CD. Boot from the CD and install the bootmanager on the HD. Set USB as Puppy boot choice. Restart and the PLOP bootmanager menu will show up. See PLOP setup. Other boot options can be set as well.

Faster boot:
I should have said "reliable boot". I experience quite some problems with booting the laptop either from HD or CD/DVD ROM. Often I have to reset the BIOS. Even then it is uncertain if it will boot. Or it is very slow at times. When Puppy has finally loaded, all is fine, but next morning I'm in trouble again. I think timing issues, old hardware etc. Anyway, it was the reason I looked into USB boot and sofar it works very well.

Remote:
The laptop is in a different place in the house. It is headless and contrrolled with VNC and wireless by a MacMini (see my post
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78822). With the HD-USB boot I can leave a CD/DVD in the drive (data, music, video....) and of course the HD is fully availalble as well. I can turn off the laptop remotely. The only caveat is that I must turn in ON manually... All in all I hardly need to touch the laptop at all.

The laptop is a Compaq Presario 1712AP, bought in 2001.

I hope this clarifies it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Thank you. :)

jakfish

#8 Post by jakfish »

I throw in my own kudos for PLOP. I use it to resurrect an IBM Thinkpad 570 which in no way supports USB boot.

By using PLOP, I can boot directly to Puppy 4.3.2 (frugal install) on a Plug-n-stay USB drive, turn off the hard drive completely, get lower temps, no fan use, no need for CDROM, and I get a boatload more battery time. I keep Win98 on the hard drive, but have never used it since.

PLOP is one of the most amazing apps I've ever come across.

Jake

greengeek

#9 Post by greengeek »

jakfish wrote:, turn off the hard drive completely,
Hi jakfish, how did you turn off the hard drive? Did it just wind down after reaching timeout or is there some other method? thx

linuph

#10 Post by linuph »

You could pull out the harddisk completely....

rokytnji

#11 Post by rokytnji »

Instead of installing PLOP to mbr. I made a bootable Plop Floppy instead and use it for my old IBM Laptops with no usb bios boot support. One needs a boot-able floppy drive laptop though for this.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/plpbt.bin.html#runflp

Leaving the original bootmanager alone. This works for me on my Linux installs, (not just Puppy Linux), on usb 1.1 with no bios support.

jakfish

#12 Post by jakfish »

@greengeek

hdparm -y /dev/sda1
hdparm -y /dev/sda2

These will shut down the hard drive partitions on my machine. hdparm -h will give you the commands, etc to figure out the sda* of your own machine.

Jake

Les Kerf

#13 Post by Les Kerf »

rokytnji wrote:Instead of installing PLOP to mbr. I made a bootable Plop Floppy instead and use it for my old IBM Laptops with no usb bios boot support. One needs a boot-able floppy drive laptop though for this.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/plpbt.bin.html#runflp

Leaving the original bootmanager alone. This works for me on my Linux installs, (not just Puppy Linux), on usb 1.1 with no bios support.
I have tried to make a PLOP boot floppy but failed to make it work without installing it to the MBR. After re-reading the instructions in your link to the PLOP site, I see that I overlooked configuring plpbt.bin as stated at the
top of the instruction page. Trouble is, I have never done that sort of thing before. If someone could kindly walk me through the steps I would be much obliged.
Thanks,
Les

rokytnji

#14 Post by rokytnji »

Trouble is, I have never done that sort of thing before. If someone could kindly walk me through the steps I would be much obliged.
Thanks,
Les
Sure thing.
Ok. Extract the zip with left click in rox file manager and select all and extract. You should end up with a folder. Right click on folder and pick Window>Terminal Here. My screenshot tells all on what to do next. Make sure you have a good floppy disk inserted in drive before entering commands in my screenshot.
From my how to at

http://hardkap.net/forums/topic/making- ... os-support

Les Kerf

#15 Post by Les Kerf »

Wow, it works! That is PRECISELY what I was wanting. Thank you ever so much!

Would it be possible to make a CD work the same way, and if so, what steps do I need to take?
Thanks again,
Les

rokytnji

#16 Post by rokytnji »

Les Kerf wrote:Wow, it works! That is PRECISELY what I was wanting. Thank you ever so much!

Would it be possible to make a CD work the same way, and if so, what steps do I need to take?
Thanks again,
Les
Cool Beans. Glad it worked. If talking about making a cdrom boot without bios support for booting a cdrom drive. I made a smart boot manager floppy disc instead because smart boot manager supports pcmcia cdrom boot while PLOP does not.

How I did it (I used Windows 95 to make the floppy this time instead of Puppy Linux.

http://yatsite.blogspot.com/2008/09/com ... ws-95.html

If talking about making a PLOP bootable bootmanager cd disk instead. I never made a how to for that as I figured that should be a breeze . Plus there is tons of how to's already showing this. Just google it.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-from- ... a-plop-cd/

Les Kerf

#17 Post by Les Kerf »

Ok, thanks again for the tips. My internship starts tomorrow, so it may be a while before I report back.
Les

Les Kerf

#18 Post by Les Kerf »

OK, that worked too!
I had previously tried that using a different computer and burning program, but this time it worked perfectly (using Image Burn). Thanks again for the help. Now I just need to purchase a couple of credit card CD's and I will be able to boot almost anyplace.
Les