Squeezed Arm Puppy for Raspberry Pi, alpha4

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#106 Post by 01micko »

I wrote a little gui for setting the sound to auto/analog/HDMI.

Should make it super easy. The radio buttons reflect the current state.

My sound (analog) was working ootb, still, anything played through aplay is no good.

NOTE: this will not display if the sound module is not loaded! (will show an error in terminal)
Attachments
raspigui.png
(14.42 KiB) Downloaded 1512 times
pi_subsound_set-0.1-raspi.pet
(5 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

antiloquax

#107 Post by antiloquax »

01micko wrote:I wrote a little gui for setting the sound to auto/analog/HDMI.
Thanks micko!

By the way, my Python / Pygame pet does work. I just hadn't been thorough enough about dependencies. It requires: libpng, libjpeg (dev versions) and the dev versions of the sdl elements (sdl itself, mixer, sound, image, ttf).

Python Arm pet

I may re-compile in the new Alpha, just for kicks!
mark
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

rhadon

#108 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

I got a new problem with alpha3, not being able to use german keyboard layout.
In Quicksetup I select

Code: Select all

de_DE
Europe/Berlin
de
No matter I restart X or reboot, typing in a terminal allways shows no change. I guess that it's us keyboard layout.
Restarting Quicksetup again shows de-latin1. I can change it to de, but running again, it shows again de-latin1 (and in terminal still us layout)

Firewall setup:
I get the message:

Code: Select all

'rxvt-unicode-256color: unknown terminal type.
Configuration terminated. Goodbye.
Firewall install script finished.
Sound is per default analog. No prolem to hear mp3 with PlayMusic. Sound is good but with "scratches" about every 30sec., more or less. Maybe of interest, after a song is finished, PlayMusic allways try to play the next file. If this is a avi or mp4 movie, MPlayer opens and plays it (more or less).

No problem to change sound to HDMI (even during playing a song :lol: ), no scratches. So for normal usage, HDMI seems to be the best for me.

Will test gmome mplayer, gxine, omxplayer, pi_subsound_set, sws and more, soon.

@rrolsbe
IIRC Puppy detects all swap partitions and mounts it, but i don't know the order it uses these partitions. With alpa2 I just deleted the swap partition of the sd card and Sap6 automatically used the swap partition of the usb hd. You can also unmount a swap partition via command line, but I haven't tested in Sap6 and don't remember the command .

More later,
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Alpha 3 report & Going for the Holy Grail

#109 Post by BarryK »

rrolsbe wrote:Questions: I am running Puppy from /root on an external USB drive to improve performance. I also have a swap partition on the external drive, how do I make Puppy use it?
You find a variable in /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONSTRAINED that you can comment-out. Though, that will also cause the swap partition on the SD card to load.

So, I recommend run:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3

to wipe the swap partition on the SD card.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#110 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote:
The sound problems are going to be awkward. Can anyone give me an idiot's guide to the story so far? I don't seem to have alsa working.
HDMI in alpha 2
- working for some (with some break up)
- noise from HDMI monitor but not recognizable (that was my condition)
- no sound from HDMI (Barrys monitor)

HDMI in alpha 3
- not working for me at all now for HDMI, even when changing settings in config.txt
modprobing etc
- sound from headphone socket is the new default for alpha 3? If so I have not tested
Please read the Release Notes.

There is a script that runs at bootup, /etc/init.d/11alsa_raspi that sets sound to the analog output.

Change the properties of that to non-executable then it won't run at bootup. Or, edit it to set sound o/p to HDMI.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

antiloquax

#111 Post by antiloquax »

Thanks Barry - I was focussing on getting Python / Pygame installed, but I will use your instructions to get the sound to go via HDMI.

Great work by the way! I am a very happy Puppy!
:D

I've posted on the RPi forum about the success with my wireless dongle.
I know the editors of the MagPi magazine pretty well (I did an article on Scratch for them last time). They seem pretty focussed on Debian at the moment. But I am going to try to persuade them to do something on Puppy soon.
mark
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#112 Post by Lobster »

New audio mixer not running from command line

Ignore the idiot crustacean (that would be me)
Too many arms and not enough neurons.

The Mixmos s running just not doing anything useful so far . . .
About to try Micko's sound GUI pet - pretty cool to have pets (Barry produced some but did not test them) Sorry :cry:

Puppy second boot is pretty speedy (by the time I have found the remote and turned on HDMI TV I am in Puppy - no pseudo sudo passwords required) :)

Puppi Linux
Rock and Raspberry Roll
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#113 Post by 01micko »

Barry

What about /etc/init.d/11alsa_raspi reading a config file? Say.. /etc/rapsi_alsa.conf? Default could be "0" or "1" or "2" or whatever the consensus is and my little gui could be used to change that.

just a thought.

@Lobster, when you fire up that gui, the default should be the "Analog" option radio button. If analog (headphones or external speakers) work for you leave it else try out the other 2. HDMI doesn't work for me, but I think it's the el cheapo gear I have. I might plug in my raspi to the 40" Samsung, (when wifey is at work on Sunday :wink: )

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#114 Post by Lobster »

Mick the the GUI locked up my Pi
now all my icons are gone. (fixable)
:shock:

The HDMI worked (well sound of raspy static - not actual sound) for me but not analog or auto
- the pet is in setup
gonna reboot and try to run from command line for better feedback.

found your pet code in
/usr/sbin/pi_sound_set.sh

in case anyone else wants a look :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

nooby

#115 Post by nooby »

Now that you guys have this long experience of using RPi.

Was it true that you needed to buy new kind of Sd cards that the old ones
where the wrong type and that the new ones are special kinds of SD
that maybe is not sold everywhere and have to be bought online from some
other country?

What is referred to SD anyway How big are there? Those I have already
in my many Smartphones are like the nail of a thumb or so.
Say 14mmx10mm and can be put into an adapter that is maybe 23mmx30mm
One SD I have is named Zap microSD 512MB could that then be not compatible being too old and slow?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#116 Post by 01micko »

nooby wrote: One SD I have is named Zap microSD 512MB could that then be not compatible being too old and slow?
"micro" is no good, need the standard SD size. Sure, there is an adapter but that I see as another bottle neck. We try to avoid those :) .

Are you getting a raspberry pi nooby? If not you can test with qemu. There is a nice "howto" by our friend jamesbond :wink: .(See the "How To" section)

Edit; there you go! Link in below post.
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

jamesbond

#117 Post by jamesbond »

rrolsbe wrote:Have an SSH daemon available on the Pi that would allow ssh, scp and ssh -X from a remote (more powerful machine) I think dropbear would suffice?
See here, second post.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#118 Post by Lobster »

buy new kind of Sd cards
The Rpi Foundation recommend Class 4 and above (10 is the highest)
If no class number it will probably not work.
Barry recommends Class 6 as a minimum and I would agree.
Even the same brand of Class 4 can be temperamental.

The Rpi Foundation or someone who gets through a lot recommends Transcend brand SD cards.

As far as I am concerned all SD cards are overpriced and not as reliable as solid state devices should be. However I do not hear complaints from phone and camera users? Are we stressing them more?
Barry is trying to minimise their read writes.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

antiloquax

#119 Post by antiloquax »

Lobster wrote:Barry recommends Class 6 as a minimum and I would agree.
Even the same brand of Class 4 can be temperamental.
The other thing is that the different releases (due to firmware I guess??) work with different ranges of cards.
Puppy and Arch work on cards that the Debian Squeeze release will not tolerate.
I believe the way to go is to move the filesystem to a usb flash drive (or equivalent) and alter the commandline text file accordingly. This is how I do it with my Arch set up (using a USB3 Kingston Elitestick).

So far I am running Puppy off a card, but I might splash out on another high-speed usb flash stick thingy.

antiloquax

#120 Post by antiloquax »

@ Lobster - if you are in the mood for some pets, this does work, but getting the "deb" - endencies in place might take a while!
antiloquax wrote:Here's a link to my Python and Pygame pet. You'll need tcl and tk plus dev versions of sdl, sdl-image, sdl-mixer and sdl-ttf, linpng, lipjpeg, smpeg. In the Debian repos they are listed as "libsdl" whatever.

Python Arm pet
mark

And here's a little test program, if you want to see if it works.
Attachments
pibounce.tar.gz
(13.9 KiB) Downloaded 320 times

nooby

#121 Post by nooby »

Thanks guys much appreciated. So RPi needs that bigger
and high quality version for to work then. I only have
the cheapest micro SD versions that came with the smartphones
I have a lot of USB flash though so would be good to have a computer for these

I have no RPi, I sure want to but hesitated when I saw the Sold out sign
some weeks ago.

I look forward to the Norwegian version or similar instead.
They seems to have better RAM and already in a case too.

No hurry I wait until late this year or next until it settle down
and people have decided on what will be the main thing to use.
Last edited by nooby on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rhadon

#122 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

I'm still not able to use german keyboard layout.

I can select e.g. azerty or sv-latin1 (Sweden). Both are working fine.

Using be-latin1 (Belgium) or gr (Greece), no success. Like de (German) or de-latin1, I allways have us keyboard layout when typing in a terminal.

I did also a new install with a new download. No change, same problem.

Selecting UTF-8 or not, doesn't matter.

This problem is new for me. It didn't happen in earlier versions of sap6 nor in other Puppies.

@Mick
pi_subsound_set-0.1-raspi.pet works fine for me. No problems with it.

~Rolf

rrolsbe

#123 Post by rrolsbe »

Barry/Rolf

Thanks for the posts! Since a swap partition existed, I didn't realize the swap partition was NOT being used in Alpha3. Running without swap when using /root from SDHC card is probably a good idea (guess it might crash if RAM is exhausted?).

BTW, copying the files needed for the omxplayer from my Debian Squeeze SDHC to Puppy no longer works. Guess something in the boot blob/firmware changed between Alpha 1 and 3 (get a strange vchiq lib error - /dev/vchiq does exist? Sure would like to use the omxplayer to watch mp4 videos with Puppy!
BarryK wrote:
rrolsbe wrote:Questions: I am running Puppy from /root on an external USB drive to improve performance. I also have a swap partition on the external drive, how do I make Puppy use it?
You find a variable in /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONSTRAINED that you can comment-out. Though, that will also cause the swap partition on the SD card to load.

So, I recommend run:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3

to wipe the swap partition on the SD card.

rhadon

#124 Post by rhadon »

@rrolsbe
You could try the pet here. :wink:
My Opera downloads it as omxplayer-0.0.1.gz. If this happens for you too, just rename .gz to .pet.

~Rolf

eowens2

#125 Post by eowens2 »

Raspberry Pi homepage has just posted (about 2200 GMT Thursday) a video narrated by Dom from the R_Pi Foundation, of the R_pi booting and navigating about the internet using the changes afforded by Raspbian. Most impressive! Apparently they are going to make it a general release in the near future.

Dom is also overclocking his R_pi to 1.0 GHz in the video. I have been running at 850 MHz since I received it without problems, but my device would not boot at 1.0 GHz; 950 MHz, nope; 925 MHz, lots of error messages but no boot. It boots O.K at 900 Mhz. I'll try that for a while.

I have been trying out alpha-3 SAP. It does indeed boot much faster.

It looks like the inclusion of "find_cat" did not cure any of the major problems in PPM. Most programs I would look for in PPM could not be found (bad databases?). Updating the databases still gives the " line 1: syntax error: unexpected '(' ", requiring ctrl-c to get out.

I finally was able to find and install "Ace-of-Penguins" card games, but they installed under "Utilities/General Utilities" in the menus! But clicking on the name of the game in this incorrect location did ititiate a game.

After setting up an internet connection, it did not persist on a reboot. After setting the connection up again and browsing for a while, the "Active Interfaces" icon in the right-lower corner still has a red "X" through it and the message "Active Interfaces: None".