Gestures and talking to your running system

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

Gestures and talking to your running system

#1 Post by gcmartin »

I always have seemed to find some interesting things at this website.

As we move closer and closer into the future, we are seeing more and more progress into this area of user interface interactions.

The ability to talk and gesture is a reality coming of age. (Probably because no one else listens to us; so lets make the devices respond to us as we use them to get things done.) The ability for YOUR device (phone/pad/touch-screen PC-laptop) to look at you and to understand you is incredible.

Has anyone seen this ability in Linux subsystems? Or seen any developments in this area in Linux (Apple and Microsoft are already off and running full speed on this. xPhones and xPads are, too.)

Looking forward to where we are going.

scsijon

#2 Post by scsijon »

It needs the kernel to be configured for it all, but could otherwise be done. Some of the very basic packages are available in Mageia 2, but with the software now available, it is very processor intensive.

It would be nice to be able to 'assign a core' to a single thread/task and then assign one to this only, but this is not available now as far as I can see.

There is also the ability in the kernel to turn on things like, Gyroscopic Interfaces, 'Wii interfaces' and 'usb gadgets' so it looks like all it initially needs, is for some programmers to get together and write the drivers and associated linux software to use the existing hardware.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

yeah, if would be nice if the old-guard programmers see benefit in this.

My Great grandfather never drove a car because he felt the horse is all we ever needed. Cars were a fad to him. But, by the time he reached his death bed, he wished he had not adopted that stance.

I realize just how this is a really foreign topic in this community. Its not that its far-reaching; its that we're hung/stuck in the past.

This statement does not mean Puppy is not making progress on things. We are. But, our understanding of the changes that are driving users in and out of businesses usage is what's occurring in our real world.

Will the world pass this community bye, too?

Keef

#4 Post by Keef »

I frequently make gestures at my computers. Not had a response yet.
Obviously not easily offended.

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

lol

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

I frequently make gestures at my computers.
:)

Ergonomics in new designs for operating systems is now undergoing massive integration from its original instigation and development.

Talking to our computers. Tapping and stroking (swiping) them and other means of input are arriving.

The future has arrived.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D