Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Apr 2014, 08:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-600rc
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 5 [67 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2012, 17:16    Post subject:  

Multi session issues for Live media is problematic. Maybe another RC should be consider before rushing to GA.

Version 5.21 had hostname desktop issues which affected subsystems. The version 600 beta shows a different set of issues, but, only needed procedural solution. Hostname addressed?

Here to help

kickstart

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2012, 18:03    Post subject:  

600rc frugal install working well from ext4 partition on my laptop.

Some issues with certain wireless drivers & Wpa_Gui? No problems with my Atheros AR9285 wireless adaptor.

Is there supposed to be a firewall state applet in the system tray? It's absent from my desktop but Control Panel/Firewall Status confirms it is installed and on.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2012, 18:08    Post subject: Thoughts  

Need
Menu>Network>Terminal Server client
is missing XDMCP feature to allow connection to another Linux box. Might be good for our Linux community to have the Terminal Server Client fully operational at least to Linux boxes, too.
VNC, as everyone knows, does not provide sound (and other features) to the client from another Linux TS server. XDMCP provides for fuller integration (similar to RDP to Microsoft).

Also
Is there a possibility that LVM-LVM2 support can be documented or included in FATDOG600?

Testing is proceeding. Here to help

Billtoo

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2012, 20:33    Post subject: Fatdog64-600rc
Subject description: laptop install

Installed to partition with fatdog installer.

Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Memory 1791MB (115MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [54d320f566]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Mon Jul 2 20:09:12 2012

Version
Kernel Linux 3.4.4 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Sat Jun 23 18:31:59 GMT 2012
C Library GNU C Library version 2.13 (stable)
Distribution Fatdog64 [54d320f566]

Display
Resolution 1280x800 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.11.4

OpenGL
Vendor X.Org R300 Project
Renderer Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS690
Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.3
Direct Rendering Yes

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
56 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11.182 FPS
59 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11.780 FPS
57 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11.330 FPS

Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)

The FPS seems to be terrible but it plays videos at cnn fullscreen in
seamonkey pretty well.
cnnscrn.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   144.31 KB
 Viewed   667 Time(s)

cnnscrn.jpg

Яadiøaktive TΣknik

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2012, 20:50    Post subject: Re: Fatdog64-600rc
Subject description: All 64 bit.

Hey forum,

I'm not much of a poster, usually a lurker just reading - but I have a question. First of all, I'm running Fatdog64-600rc and it works awesome. Wireless works, sound and even my PVR-150 TV Tuner.

I spent a long time trying to get it working under Fedora Core 14 and never was successful. Apparently I needed to make a user called "MythTV" and watch from that limited account only. Also got it working in Ubuntu.

But today, I'm writing from FD64 and I opened VLC>Media>Capture Devices and there was my PVR tuner. Clicked that and and a TV program played! Only problem is I can't change the channel and it's stuck on American Idol.

I tried all the normal things, arrow keys, pgup pgdn. number pad, enter. Nothing. I feel like I need some additional package to control the channel but I don't want to muck up and add the wrong packages.

Thanks for your time. I'll try more web searching about this.
kirk

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2012, 21:59    Post subject:  

If you're having problems with wpa_gui and you don't need the wl driver. Please answer some questions:

* What kind of encryption does your access point use? (none / WEP / WPA)

* Open a terminal and post the output of iwconfig (to copy text from the terminal, highlight the text and then press shift and delete at the same time. The select the text with glipper and paste.

* Open a terminal and post the output of wpa_cli status

Thanks for your help.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2012, 00:30    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
However, I've been totally unsuccessful in running from a multi-session dvd.As soon as the saved session starts to load there is an immediate kernel panic. Tried twice with 2 different dvds but then again it may just be me.
Huh? I tested the multisession DVD here, no problem.
Questions:
1. Do you use DVD+RW (that's the only I tested and confirmed to work)
2. How do you start the multisession? Here's how I do it:
- boot with livedvd
- shutdown - when asked about savefile, I tick the "save as multisession" and choose /dev/sr0
- reboot
- when the boot prompt comes back again, I typed "savefile=direct:multi"

Gobbi wrote:
I know net can be configured from boot line ...

Yes, but this is meant for booting off the network (e.g. savefile on the network). "net" boot option is quite limited (only supports wired/wpa/wpa2 at the moment). For normal operation wpagui/network-wizard is the way to go Smile

Яadiøaktive TΣknik, thank you for your kind words. Glad that you like it.

Jim1911 wrote:
New frugal installation on an ext4 partition is working great on my desktop computer with my usual installed programs including using getnvidia. Amazing speed and stability.Very Happy
Sounds good! I'm going to make the nvidia.pet, but I think I'll upload shinobar's getnvidia to the pet repo too (in case newer nvidia version is released etc).

Quote:
Requests for final release. Idea
1. Faster loading of pmount (it takes about 35 seconds to load on my hardware).
That means a full re-write of the script ... may not be in time for final. Pmount today is still the same Pmount from Puppy days (521 days too), except for minor changes supporting multiuser. Anyway, I leave pmount more as a fallback rather than for regular use. Is there a situation where the standard drive icons doesn't work?
Quote:
2. Include Frisbee.
This one will be quite hard ... please see kirk's post above mine, see what we can do to improve wpagui instead.
Quote:
3. Include Woof “Desktop drive icon manager”.
This would be impossible because Fatdog uses completely different drive-icon model from woof. Which feature from woof's drive icon are you looking for?
Quote:
4. Keep the Chosen Mirror in Package Manager upon closing. (Jamesbond’s "EDIT: mirror setting is now preserved across invocations. Will be in the next release." did not make it into the RC.)
I just checked, it does get to the RC. Can you please check whether /root/.packages/fpm-mirror-choice exists after you choose a mirror? Is there a file /aufs/pup_save/usr/sbin/fatdog-package-manager.sh?
Quote:
5. Include “Desktop Templates for Desk icons” program similar to Slacko’s.
No promises, will come as a pet later when I get around to do it.

gcmartin wrote:
The Ibiblio site provides a very good and much needed service. But, it has been much slower download speeds than other means of delivery. Kirk or James, would you consider using your Google means or some of the others available during the "RC" periods leading to "GA".

Have you tried the other mirrors?

Quote:
Multi session issues for Live media is problematic. Maybe another RC should be consider before rushing to GA.
Can you provide more details on the problems? I wish to fix it but so far in my tests multisession works fine.

Quote:
The version 600 beta shows a different set of issues, but, only needed procedural solution
Changing hostname will now automatically restart the X server.

Quote:
Menu>Network>Terminal Server client is missing XDMCP feature to allow connection to another Linux box. Might be good for our Linux community to have the Terminal Server Client fully operational at least to Linux boxes, too.
VNC, as everyone knows, does not provide sound (and other features) to the client from another Linux TS server. XDMCP provides for fuller integration (similar to RDP to Microsoft).
I'd check but no promises. In general I'd try to keep rc for bugfixes rather than for adding more features.

EDIT: I just run terminal server client, XDCMP seems to be already available on one of the choice.

Quote:
Is there a possibility that LVM-LVM2 support can be documented or included in FATDOG600?
LVM/LVM2 tools are available in the package manager. For further documentation I'd direct you to the excellent Arch Wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM

kickstart wrote:
Is there supposed to be a firewall state applet in the system tray? It's absent from my desktop but Control Panel/Firewall Status confirms it is installed and on.
No applet in the system tray. Control Panel is the place to check for the firewall status.

Quote:
But today, I'm writing from FD64 and I opened VLC>Media>Capture Devices and there was my PVR tuner. Clicked that and and a TV program played! Only problem is I can't change the channel and it's stuck on American Idol.
Laughing I don't own a pvr, so I can't help you with that. Billtoo may be able to help.

cheers!

Last edited by jamesbond on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 08:12; edited 1 time in total
James C

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2012, 01:06    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
James C wrote:
However, I've been totally unsuccessful in running from a multi-session dvd.As soon as the saved session starts to load there is an immediate kernel panic. Tried twice with 2 different dvds but then again it may just be me.
Huh? I tested the multisession DVD here, no problem.
Questions:
1. Do you use DVD+RW (that's the only I tested and confirmed to work)
2. How do you start the multisession? Here's how I do it:
- boot with livedvd
- shutdown - when asked about savefile, I tick the "save as multisession" and choose /dev/sr0
- reboot
- when the boot prompt comes back again, I typed "savefile=direct:multi"

Past midnight here so I'll retest tomorrow with "savefile=direct:multi" I have a sneaking suspicion that will solve the problem.Will report back.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2012, 01:11    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
Past midnight here so I'll retest tomorrow with "savefile=direct:multi" I have a sneaking suspicion that will solve the problem.Will report back.

No worries. Can I confirm whether you did a remaster for the first session too? gcmartin has been telling me he has problem doing the remasters (they won't boot), but I can't reproduce that too Shocked All my remasters boot fine.

James C

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2012, 01:37    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
James C wrote:

No worries. Can I confirm whether you did a remaster for the first session too? gcmartin has been telling me he has problem doing the remasters (they won't boot), but I can't reproduce that too Shocked All my remasters boot fine.

All I've attempted to do was merely save the first session and reboot.Kernel panic came on reboot.
James C

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2012, 01:43    Post subject:  

Success ...... adding "savefile=direct:multi" worked, posting from the multi-session dvd with a saved session already on disc.
I use DVD+R so they are confirmed to work too.

Now it's time for some sleep...... Smile
Gobbi

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2012, 06:29    Post subject:  

kirk wrote:
If you're having problems with wpa_gui and you don't need the wl driver. Please answer some questions:

* What kind of encryption does your access point use? (none / WEP / WPA)

* Open a terminal and post the output of iwconfig (to copy text from the terminal, highlight the text and then press shift and delete at the same time. The select the text with glipper and paste.

* Open a terminal and post the output of wpa_cli status

Thanks for your help.

I use a wpa2 encryption with hidden ESSD .
wpa_cli status reports it is scanning for the right MAC address , but obviously it doesn't relate it to the name of my network that I provide and save .
In the edit panel I don't know what does it serve the IDString ...

The same data I fill in the Network Wizard works fine Exclamation
Once the connection is acquired with Network Wizard , the next custom version of fatdog I make remembers the network data in Network Wizard but does not start the net automatically ( frisbee did )...
Anything that makes the network start for a live CD it's good , not that I'm fond with a particular one ...

Now , I noted this :
Starting the Network Wizard right after I unmute the hdmi sound from Alsa Mixer makes fatdog freeze . Mouses ( I added an USB one to see if it helps ) , keboard - all stuck. First I thought it was because of my custom versions ( FD64 600b2 & FD64 600 rc ) or because I started from the new installed lxpanel.pet network button , but it happend today on the downloaded version FD64 600 rc .
If I let pass , let's say , 10 sec between , then it's allright.

kirk : I post iwconfig and wpa_clii status :
wpagui.jpg
Description  iwconfig & wpa_cli status
jpg

Download 
Filename  wpagui.jpg 
Filesize  213.48 KB 
Downloaded  233 Time(s) 
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2012, 07:42    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
Laughing I don't own a pvr, so I can't help you with that. Billtoo may be able to help.

cheers![/quote]

I have to go into the room where there satellite reciever is and use
the remote to change the channel, I have cable running from the
reciever to my computer room.The satellite programmer allows me to
auto tune to channels for programs if I take the time to do that.

That's the only way that I know of, I had a reciever a few years ago
with a small antenna thingy that allowed using another remote control
from another room in the house but I no longer have that.

For unattended recording etc, I think you'd need Mythubuntu.
If the VLC pvr is capable of more I don't know about it.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2012, 08:11    Post subject:  

I am downloading right now.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2012, 09:53    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
All I've attempted to do was merely save the first session and reboot.Kernel panic came on reboot.

Above is an important clue. I managed to reproduce the crash. Running without "savefile=direct:multi" should not cause the boot to fail with a kernel crash (at most, the sessions are not loaded - but it shouldn't cause crash). Thanks, and it is now fixed for final.
Glad to hear that it works for DVD+R too Smile

Page 2 of 5 [67 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: