Fatdog64-600rc

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

Multi session issues for Live media is problematic. Maybe another RC should be consider before rushing to GA.

Version 5.21 had hostname desktop issues which affected subsystems. The version 600 beta shows a different set of issues, but, only needed procedural solution. Hostname addressed?

Here to help

kickstart

#17 Post by kickstart »

600rc frugal install working well from ext4 partition on my laptop.

Some issues with certain wireless drivers & Wpa_Gui? No problems with my Atheros AR9285 wireless adaptor.

Is there supposed to be a firewall state applet in the system tray? It's absent from my desktop but Control Panel/Firewall Status confirms it is installed and on.

gcmartin

Thoughts

#18 Post by gcmartin »

Need
Menu>Network>Terminal Server client
is missing XDMCP feature to allow connection to another Linux box. Might be good for our Linux community to have the Terminal Server Client fully operational at least to Linux boxes, too.
VNC, as everyone knows, does not provide sound (and other features) to the client from another Linux TS server. XDMCP provides for fuller integration (similar to RDP to Microsoft).

Also
Is there a possibility that LVM-LVM2 support can be documented or included in FATDOG600?

Testing is proceeding. Here to help

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600rc

#19 Post by Billtoo »

Installed to partition with fatdog installer.

Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Memory 1791MB (115MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [54d320f566]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Mon Jul 2 20:09:12 2012

Version
Kernel Linux 3.4.4 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Sat Jun 23 18:31:59 GMT 2012
C Library GNU C Library version 2.13 (stable)
Distribution Fatdog64 [54d320f566]

Display
Resolution 1280x800 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.11.4

OpenGL
Vendor X.Org R300 Project
Renderer Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS690
Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.3
Direct Rendering Yes

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
56 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11.182 FPS
59 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11.780 FPS
57 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11.330 FPS

Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)

The FPS seems to be terrible but it plays videos at cnn fullscreen in
seamonkey pretty well.
Attachments
cnnscrn.jpg
(144.31 KiB) Downloaded 1165 times

Яadiøaktive TΣknik

Re: Fatdog64-600rc

#20 Post by Яadiøaktive TΣknik »

Hey forum,

I'm not much of a poster, usually a lurker just reading - but I have a question. First of all, I'm running Fatdog64-600rc and it works awesome. Wireless works, sound and even my PVR-150 TV Tuner.

I spent a long time trying to get it working under Fedora Core 14 and never was successful. Apparently I needed to make a user called "MythTV" and watch from that limited account only. Also got it working in Ubuntu.

But today, I'm writing from FD64 and I opened VLC>Media>Capture Devices and there was my PVR tuner. Clicked that and and a TV program played! Only problem is I can't change the channel and it's stuck on American Idol.

I tried all the normal things, arrow keys, pgup pgdn. number pad, enter. Nothing. I feel like I need some additional package to control the channel but I don't want to muck up and add the wrong packages.

Thanks for your time. I'll try more web searching about this.

kirk

#21 Post by kirk »

If you're having problems with wpa_gui and you don't need the wl driver. Please answer some questions:

* What kind of encryption does your access point use? (none / WEP / WPA)

* Open a terminal and post the output of iwconfig (to copy text from the terminal, highlight the text and then press shift and delete at the same time. The select the text with glipper and paste.

* Open a terminal and post the output of wpa_cli status

Thanks for your help.

jamesbond

#22 Post by jamesbond »

James C wrote:However, I've been totally unsuccessful in running from a multi-session dvd.As soon as the saved session starts to load there is an immediate kernel panic. Tried twice with 2 different dvds but then again it may just be me.
Huh? I tested the multisession DVD here, no problem.
Questions:
1. Do you use DVD+RW (that's the only I tested and confirmed to work)
2. How do you start the multisession? Here's how I do it:
- boot with livedvd
- shutdown - when asked about savefile, I tick the "save as multisession" and choose /dev/sr0
- reboot
- when the boot prompt comes back again, I typed "savefile=direct:multi"
Gobbi wrote:I know net can be configured from boot line ...
Yes, but this is meant for booting off the network (e.g. savefile on the network). "net" boot option is quite limited (only supports wired/wpa/wpa2 at the moment). For normal operation wpagui/network-wizard is the way to go :)

Яadiøaktive TΣknik, thank you for your kind words. Glad that you like it.
Jim1911 wrote:New frugal installation on an ext4 partition is working great on my desktop computer with my usual installed programs including using getnvidia. Amazing speed and stability.:D
Sounds good! I'm going to make the nvidia.pet, but I think I'll upload shinobar's getnvidia to the pet repo too (in case newer nvidia version is released etc).
Requests for final release. :idea:
1. Faster loading of pmount (it takes about 35 seconds to load on my hardware).
That means a full re-write of the script ... may not be in time for final. Pmount today is still the same Pmount from Puppy days (521 days too), except for minor changes supporting multiuser. Anyway, I leave pmount more as a fallback rather than for regular use. Is there a situation where the standard drive icons doesn't work?
2. Include Frisbee.
This one will be quite hard ... please see kirk's post above mine, see what we can do to improve wpagui instead.
3. Include Woof “Desktop drive icon manager
Last edited by jamesbond on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

James C

#23 Post by James C »

jamesbond wrote:
James C wrote:However, I've been totally unsuccessful in running from a multi-session dvd.As soon as the saved session starts to load there is an immediate kernel panic. Tried twice with 2 different dvds but then again it may just be me.
Questions:
- boot with livedvd
- shutdown - when asked about savefile, I tick the "save as multisession" and choose /dev/sr0
- reboot
Past midnight here so I'll retest tomorrow with "savefile=direct:multi" I have a sneaking suspicion that will solve the problem.Will report back.

jamesbond

#24 Post by jamesbond »

James C wrote:Past midnight here so I'll retest tomorrow with "savefile=direct:multi" I have a sneaking suspicion that will solve the problem.Will report back.
No worries. Can I confirm whether you did a remaster for the first session too? gcmartin has been telling me he has problem doing the remasters (they won't boot), but I can't reproduce that too :shock: All my remasters boot fine.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

James C

#25 Post by James C »

jamesbond wrote:
James C wrote:Past midnight here so I'll retest tomorrow with "savefile=direct:multi" I have a sneaking suspicion that will solve the problem.Will report back.
No worries. Can I confirm whether you did a remaster for the first session too? gcmartin has been telling me he has problem doing the remasters (they won't boot), but I can't reproduce that too :shock: All my remasters boot fine.
All I've attempted to do was merely save the first session and reboot.Kernel panic came on reboot.

James C

#26 Post by James C »

Success ...... adding "savefile=direct:multi" worked, posting from the multi-session dvd with a saved session already on disc.
I use DVD+R so they are confirmed to work too.

Now it's time for some sleep...... :)

Gobbi

#27 Post by Gobbi »

kirk wrote:If you're having problems with wpa_gui and you don't need the wl driver. Please answer some questions:

* What kind of encryption does your access point use? (none / WEP / WPA)

* Open a terminal and post the output of iwconfig (to copy text from the terminal, highlight the text and then press shift and delete at the same time. The select the text with glipper and paste.

* Open a terminal and post the output of wpa_cli status

Thanks for your help.

I use a wpa2 encryption with hidden ESSD .
wpa_cli status reports it is scanning for the right MAC address , but obviously it doesn't relate it to the name of my network that I provide and save .
In the edit panel I don't know what does it serve the IDString ...

The same data I fill in the Network Wizard works fine :!:
Once the connection is acquired with Network Wizard , the next custom version of fatdog I make remembers the network data in Network Wizard but does not start the net automatically ( frisbee did )...
Anything that makes the network start for a live CD it's good , not that I'm fond with a particular one ...

Now , I noted this :
Starting the Network Wizard right after I unmute the hdmi sound from Alsa Mixer makes fatdog freeze . Mouses ( I added an USB one to see if it helps ) , keboard - all stuck. First I thought it was because of my custom versions ( FD64 600b2 & FD64 600 rc ) or because I started from the new installed lxpanel.pet network button , but it happend today on the downloaded version FD64 600 rc .
If I let pass , let's say , 10 sec between , then it's allright.

kirk : I post iwconfig and wpa_clii status :

Billtoo

#28 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote:But today, I'm writing from FD64 and I opened VLC>Media>Capture Devices and there was my PVR tuner. Clicked that and and a TV program played! Only problem is I can't change the channel and it's stuck on American Idol.
:lol: I don't own a pvr, so I can't help you with that. Billtoo may be able to help.

cheers![/quote]

I have to go into the room where there satellite reciever is and use
the remote to change the channel, I have cable running from the
reciever to my computer room.The satellite programmer allows me to
auto tune to channels for programs if I take the time to do that.

That's the only way that I know of, I had a reciever a few years ago
with a small antenna thingy that allowed using another remote control
from another room in the house but I no longer have that.

For unattended recording etc, I think you'd need Mythubuntu.
If the VLC pvr is capable of more I don't know about it.

bark_bark_bark

#29 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I am downloading right now.

jamesbond

#30 Post by jamesbond »

James C wrote:All I've attempted to do was merely save the first session and reboot.Kernel panic came on reboot.
Above is an important clue. I managed to reproduce the crash. Running without "savefile=direct:multi" should not cause the boot to fail with a kernel crash (at most, the sessions are not loaded - but it shouldn't cause crash). Thanks, and it is now fixed for final.
Glad to hear that it works for DVD+R too :)

Gobbi

#31 Post by Gobbi »

Control Panel / Display Properties is not opening normally... :(

-Display-
Resolution : 1360x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

Booting with parameters nomodeset pfix=vesa and Display Properties is working ... maximum : 1024x768 pixels

Waitng with patience for ati_catalyst_driver pet to reach better resolution

bark_bark_bark

#32 Post by bark_bark_bark »

i didn't test much, but everything I did does.

gcmartin

#33 Post by gcmartin »

jamesbond wrote:
Questions:
- boot with livedvd
- reboot
Thanks JamesBond.

I have been so used to using Live media in the "old" Puppy tradition, that I discounted the need to use the "savefile" parm on boot. I just (wrongly) assumed ....

Yes the savefile parm does avoid the problems.

Is the savefile going to be a replacement for the older method or is this for current debug and shakedown testing?

DVD-R also works. So your documentation should be updated and the DVD+RW reference could be removed.

Thanks for all the good stuff you and Kirk are doing.
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#34 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:New frugal installation on an ext4 partition is working great on my desktop computer with my usual installed programs including using getnvidia. Amazing speed and stability.:D
Sounds good! I'm going to make the nvidia.pet, but I think I'll upload shinobar's getnvidia to the pet repo too (in case newer nvidia version is released etc).
Requests for final release. :idea:
1. Faster loading of pmount (it takes about 35 seconds to load on my hardware).
That means a full re-write of the script ... may not be in time for final. Pmount today is still the same Pmount from Puppy days (521 days too), except for minor changes supporting multiuser. Anyway, I leave pmount more as a fallback rather than for regular use. Is there a situation where the standard drive icons doesn't work? No, standard drive icons work fine, however, I prefer to have a clean desktop and use pmount as needed.
2. Include Frisbee.
This one will be quite hard ... please see kirk's post above mine, see what we can do to improve wpagui instead.
3. Include Woof “Desktop drive icon manager
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(16.83 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times

gcmartin

#35 Post by gcmartin »

There is a lot of horse-power exposed by this distro. And, it is obvious that a log of brain-power went into the making of this.

Thanks for the great-great work being done here.

The distro ONLY suffers from a single thing that I think would make every 64bit user (newbies, Apple users, Windows users, experienced users, etc) of this distro START with an immediate feeling of control:

The addition of a FATDOG-600 Localization Screen. This would/could follow in the efforts put forth by the good work of BarryK or Shinobar's version. It opens the first use of the desktop so that the user "SEE's" their local settings with controls for OOTB adjustments.

Experienced Linux users are comfortable searching for this stuff now buried in the Control Panel you provide. BUT, existing new users and exsiting users coming from current PUPs have become comfortable with the technology that is mentioned.

"FATDOG600 Initial User Localization" would be bringing this same kind of ease of use Puppy branding that we've become accustomed to since the changing from text based system starts to today's boot to desktop services we now enjoy.

Please consider the benefit this brings

Here to help