Promoting Puppy at Computer Shows

Promote Puppy !
NathanO

Promoting Puppy at Computer Shows

#1 Post by NathanO »

Our local Lunix Users group [www.satlug.org] takes part in local computer shows about every 6 or so weeks. I have had Puppy running on the computer I bring with me at the last few shows. [started with 2.11 and had 2.14 at the last one]

Our next show in the San Anotnio, TX, USA area is March 10. Is there any official 'Hand Out' that I could down load and print out?

In the past we have had CD's avaliable [for a donation to our group] of various distro's. I will try and get them to do some Puppy CD's if that is agreeable with Barry. We do a label on each with the Distro Name, Version,date of version, and our SATLUG logo.

If you would like I could get the person that does this for us to contact you if needed.

NathanO

amish

#2 Post by amish »

i haven't seen anything like that, althought i bet lobster could whip something up in a moment flat, as he often does.

i would offer my help, with graphics or layout if nothing else, but i almost forgot you made grafpup and are really more qualified. don't count it as a refusal! maybe i'll have a useful suggestion as an addition to lobster's mix.
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.

NathanO

#3 Post by NathanO »

A few quick thoughts if a flyer is put together.

Keep it simple, able to be printed on a home color inkjet type printer OR black and white laser type printer with out large 'color' coverage. Most people would probably be printing them on a home computer at their own cost.

Two sided is okay if the front side has a little 'flash' to it and the back is mostly simple text, once more, they will probably be printed on a person's home printer and very few will have duplex printers. Most of the paper that people would have at home to print on is what we call here 20 Lb bond. I do have some heaver here, was involved with a print shop at one time, so I have 24, 28 and Opaque 60 and 70 Book File size should be kept reasonable to allow even 'dial up' downloads to be done in a reasonable time. Open Office and PDF formats for the final edition, Open Office for the 'beta' to allow last second changes by hand.

Keep it to a 'standard' size that will fit both the 8.5" x 11" we used here in the 'colony's' and the A size the rest of the world uses. If a 'beta' of this could be ready before March 10 I would be able to print some up for that show.

Mybe do an alternate one that could be done on 11" x 17" or the simalar A size, that could then be folded to 8.5" x 11" I would just print a few of these and give them to the people that actually spent some time at the booth looking at Puppy and showed a true intrest. This is not needed now, could be done over the next few months.

I am willing to be the 'beta' tester for the flyers, I have a good group of people I deal with that will be honest about the 'first impression' they have, and our computer shows happen about every 6 weeks, so we would have a reasonable amout of time between 'versions' to make changes and updates.

NathanO

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

but i almost forgot you made grafpup and are really more qualified.
Ehm, There are two Nathans now, NathanF and NathanO. I think they're different people, anyways. :?
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

NathanO

#5 Post by NathanO »

The computer show was today. I do not know how many people they had throught the gate, but our Linux Users Group had people stopping by in small groups from opening at 10 AM to about 4:30 PM. The show closed at 5 PM.

I had Puppy running most of the day, the next computer over was running Knoppix, the third had one of the other Live CD's, and several laptops were running various 'full' distro's, Fedora, Suse, and one other.

Puppy got a lot of good comments. I wrote down for some people, and a large group took down on their own the web address. I have talked to the people that make up our CD's and DVD's to have them do some Puppy ones for the next show, May 12.

We ran out of all the Live CD's, DVD's we had, people give us a donation of between $2 for students and $5 for others for the CD's, and $5 for students and $10 for others for the DVD's. Besides the 'live' distor's, we also have the 'full installs' of several like SUSE, Fedora, and Debian.

I still would like to do a hand out for Puppy if some one will come up with the idea's and do it in OO or PDF format. It looks like even within our Linux Users Group that Puppy is gaining support. At least 4 of the people working the show had Puppy with them, and at our meeting Thursday another 4 or 5 said they had started playing with Puppy.

As the numberof Puppy Users in our LUG continues to grow I will try and have a 'Puppy LUG' meeting prior to our regular LUG meeting. I do not wnat us to split off from the main LUG, but rather be a sub group of it to better promote Linux overall.

NathanO

NathanO

#6 Post by NathanO »

I am now 4 weeks to the next local computer show. I still could use dome help in creating a flyer for Puppy.

NathanF, your the graphics person, any ideas on a good layout?

Pizzasgood, your the one with the personality in the group, how about some ideas on what to say.

I will take input from everyone and would make the flyer avaliable on the forum.

NathanO

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

How much needs to be said? A one-liner or a paragraph? I'll make several of each:

Puppy Linux: Lift your leg at Redmond.

It compresses 200 MB worth of Linux Goodness into an 80MB iso. The whole thing loads into 70MB of RAM, and runs faster than a greased toddler in a candy shop. High operating speeds have been proven addictive, so use at your own risk.

Word processing, spreadsheet, email client, browser, and media player. 200MB worth, crammed into an ~80MB iso file. Boots from CD, USB, or Harddrive. Immune to viruses. No blue-screens-of-death. Runs fast. Yours now, for a total of $0.00. Enjoy!

Have you always wanted a very fast, efficient, and small operating system, but still want a GUI, browser, spreadsheets, media player, and word processor? Thought it couldn't be done? Think again. Puppy Linux crams 200MB of useful apps (like SeaMonkey, Gnumeric, Abiword, and Gxine) into an 80MB iso file. That compressed file loads into ram to offer FAST access times. No more waiting for your CD or harddrive to spin up! Just click, and WHAM! That GUI is in your face faster than you can say "Slow down!". And to make things better, no viruses, no spyware, and no auditors! Puppy Linux is 100% free to use, free to install, and free to distribute. It's Linux how it was always meant to be.

Puppy Linux: No cash, no crash, no bloat, and no cut throats.

Puppy Linux: Gates just got pwned, yo!

Puppy Linux: Unleash your computer!

Puppy Linux: Put that in your drive and boot it!

Puppy Linux: Not just a Live-CD! Also boots from HD and USB! Loads into RAM from all three, only eats 70MB and goes fast! Full complement of software.

Puppy Linux: It looks small, but that's because it has 200 MB worth of Linux Goodness compressed to an 80MB iso, and it stays compressed when loaded into RAM for unmatchable access times!

Puppy Linux: Byte me.

Puppy Linux: You other Live-CDs just got bit.

Puppy Linux: Retire your other Live-CD's to frisbees, because this Puppy is all you'll need.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Braden

#8 Post by Braden »

Some of those one-liners are great!

"Unleash your computer" has serious slogan potential, actually.
"Lift your leg at Redmond" is still making me chuckle, but it's not exactly main webpage material.

NathanO

#9 Post by NathanO »

Pizzagood,

Thanks for a great start, I will try and work on a 'beta' of a flyer this weekend.

Still would like more input from others,

NathanO

NathanO

#10 Post by NathanO »

I want to post my first cut at the flyer but none of the Open Doc formats are allowed. Is there a .zip file create in 2.15?

NathanO

bostonvaulter

#11 Post by bostonvaulter »

try

tar -cvzf flier.tar.gz flier.odt
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

Puppy does support zip if you want to make it easy on Widows people Otherwise, Linux people tend to us gzip or bzip2, and they usually make a tar archive first (lets you have multiple files in it). I'm sure the PupZip app can do it all, but I just use the commandline.
zip xxxx.zip xxxx.doc
and
unzip xxxx.zip

Gzip and bzip2 are nearly the same.
gzip xxxx.doc
gunzip xxxx.gz

bzip2 xxxx.doc
bunzip2 xxxx.doc

What bostonvaulter posted will make a tar archive, then automatically run it through gzip. To extract it, use:
tar -xzf flier.tar.gz

Though I've found that just tar -xf flier.tar.gz is sufficient to extract most any tar archive in Puppy (.tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz), skipping the extra options to specify compression may not work in other Linux's. I'm not really sure.

NathanO

#13 Post by NathanO »

Here is the first cut on the flyer. It is an .odp,

It is 'letter' size, but should work okay in 'A' size. I need to work on the margins.

I choose the 'puppy' on the bottom baised on the way people react to animal pictures around here.

I need some help on the best way to do the 'web site links', not happy with the way they are.

Will be a judge at a Chili Cook Off this weekend, will get back on it next week.

NathanO
Attachments
flyer.zip
Flyer try #1 .opd
(145.99 KiB) Downloaded 655 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

Here is a NEW presentation to go with the flyer . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 901#112901
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

NathanO

#15 Post by NathanO »

Lobster,

Thanks for the input, I will try and have the ODP on my computer at the show as weel as a flyer.

NathanO

NathanO

#16 Post by NathanO »

Had the computer show today.

Handed out about 30 of the flyers and had the .pdf on screen most of the time for people to look at.

We had 7 people take for 'donation' a DVD of 2.15CE. All the money goes for more CD's/DVD's for the next show.

Talked to about 10 people already using Puppy in the San Antonio, Texas area. Also talked to a number of Ham operators that are looking at the Ham version as well as the regular to paly with. I may look at our getting together a 'PuppyLUG' group to meet just before our SATLUG meetings and see where it heads.

Pizzagood: Everyone loved your one liners and paragraphs.

Nathan F: Good comments on the .pdf.

NathanO

afgs

#17 Post by afgs »

I have my version of Puppy flyer, which I would like to share in case anybody needs one, but this forum does not allowed me to post it. :cry:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#18 Post by Lobster »

change it to one of these forum allowed format extensions

ace, bz2, gtar, gz, pet, pup, rar, tar, zip

(you can just change the name and let us know what to change it back to)

from Rox drag the file into the Pupzip icon

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

afgs

#19 Post by afgs »

Thanks Lobster for your advice.
Here are the flyers (have compressed them in zip files).

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#20 Post by Lobster »

"Puppy Linux is as fast as a greased toddler in a candy store" made me laugh :)

Good flyers did you create them in Scribus?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)