Some Macs and Puppies

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mini-jaguar

Some Macs and Puppies

#1 Post by mini-jaguar »

I have tried an early version of the Intel Macbook, the one that had a touchpad with a button, without installing yet.

With most Puppies the touchpad does not work at all (Slacko, Studio, 4.3.1, Dpup Exprimo latest version, Arcade 10, Lucid with the old kernel). But I tried them all also with a trackball (which works the same as a mouse) and they all seem to work fine with the trackball.

Obviously to do an install rEFIt will have to be used, as Grub does not work. I will eventually install some Puppy on it.

The touchpad works in Lucid 5.2.8, but the OS crashes about 5 seconds after it's finished booting, every time. This is clearly a not a good candidate for installing.

The only Puppies that seem to work with the touchpad at all are Three Headed Dog, Music2Go (which is also a Three Headed Dog based Puppy) and Racy (edit: also TXZ and Saluki). I can't get the Synaptics driver to work on any of them (so I can turn off or configure the tapping), but I've started another topic to see what can be done.

Wary was really weird, most of the time the cursor would just move up and down two cm or so if I used the touchpad, but a few times I also had the trackball plugged in and the touchpad started to work the same way as on Racy or Three Headed Dog. Really weird and also no way to get to the configuration as with the above.

(edit: have not successfully installed alongside MacOS, experienced problems getting the hd to be seen correctly. Working installation with wiped MacOS tested: working correctly, hd was reformatted to Windows type scheme.)

Other than that, I also did a brief test of a brand new Mac Mini by booting Slacko 5.3.1 with an external CD drive. Seemed to work fine, however brief my test was, but I have no plans for installing Puppy on it as it is not my computer.

mini-jaguar

#2 Post by mini-jaguar »

So I'll make the list clearer. Tried on Macbook 2,1.

Crashes: Lucid 5.2.8 early version

No touchpad support, works with USB mouse or similar: Puppy 4.3.1, Slacko 5.3.1, Arcade 10, Puppy Studio, Dpup Exprimo, Lucid 5.2.5 w/older kernel. I think several other older Puppies too.

Touchpad and button work, but tapping is permanently on and synclient does not load, so no touchpad tweaks possible: Lucid 5.2.8.005, Slacko 5.3.3, Three Headed Dog (all or most versions), Music2Go, TXZ, Saluki (only tried 14 and 17), Racy (but I think I may have had some problems with this, don't remember exactly).

Touchpad working, but not button (my Macbook has a button): FatDog64 5.2.1. I think Lighthouse64 was similar.

Touchpad and button work perfectly: FatDog64 600 Alpha 2. Tapping is disabled when booting up. Touchpad can be tweaked, as flsynclient works. Note that the right button is accessed by keeping two fingers on the touchpad and hitting the button.

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

try new fatdog 600. Have not has an issue with my trackpad in the last few fatdogs.