Retrovol for FatDog64-600

Retrovol is a sound card mixer.
Attachments
retrovol-0.12-x86_64.pet
Retrovol 0.12
(30.09 KiB) Downloaded 323 times

jamesbond

#137 Post by jamesbond »

smokey01 wrote:I tried running alsamixer from a link in notecase and it locked up FatDog.
Thank you Grant, this is indeed a major problem. I have seen glimpses of this before, but your case shows that it is more widespread that what I thought it is :? I've listed this as one the critical bug in the first page.
When this is fixed you still won't be able to show alsamixer from notecase link (because alsamixer is a console application - it launches but you cannot see its screen), but the desktop will not freeze to death.

Thanks for the pets also, all uploaded to the repo.

gcmartin: I have run FD600 48 hours non-stop doing usb-to-usb disk copy and heavy compilations on a mediocre laptop; I haven't encountered such problem before, so I'm not sure what happens.

As for flash-player-properties: that's the beauty of closed-source software, if it has a bug you are at the mercy of the vendor to provide a fix :wink:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

kooliepup

#138 Post by kooliepup »

a mediocre laptop
That's an ALDI brand, isn't it?

mini-jaguar

#139 Post by mini-jaguar »

rcrsn51 wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:The cpu temp pet simply opened another instance of itself on the taskbar every time it was reinstalled and never registered in the user-installed-packages file. It did, of course, have its own file in the .packages directory when installed.
I think I know what the problem is. The CPUtemp package contains a post-install script that auto-starts the applet in the system tray. That way, you know it's working.

But that may conflict with the package manager - I believe I saw that in another Puppy. I will replace the auto-start with a message that says "CPUtemp will start working at the next bootup".

Thanks for finding this.

[Edit] Here is a new version. It auto-starts and registers correctly in the Package Manager. Please test.
O.k., so I trash the save file, wow, it's really easy to do in Fatdog64. In 32-bit Puppies you can't trash the save file of the Puppy you're using in frugal, plus it takes a long time (using another Puppy than the one the save file belongs to, although I suppose there might be ways to get around that). Here it was a breeze.

So now I'm testing the package system for the third time. The new CPUtemp installs correctly and shows in the package manager and all pertinent places. It starts after a reboot and seems to work fine.

Not surprisingly, the gtk hash utility didn't install at all on the first try, on the second try it installed correctly.

The remaining 8 packages I keep testing installed fine.

jamesbond

#140 Post by jamesbond »

kooliepup wrote:
a mediocre laptop
That's an ALDI brand, isn't it?
:lol: ALDI's brand is Medion but yeah that's close enough :lol:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

nooby

#141 Post by nooby »

I will test the CPUTemp in FD too. I installed it in FD latest?
and it works says my CPU temp is 51 Celsius and that my
CPU freq is 1.666MHz Fan is running so that is cool.
Thanks rcrsn51 much appreciated

What I lack in FD is a tray icon that tells that the firewall is set up the way that one are used to on Lupu :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rcrsn51

#142 Post by rcrsn51 »

nooby wrote:What I lack in FD is a tray icon that tells that the firewall is set up the way that one are used to on Lupu :)
Look in Control Panel > Network for the Firewall Status applet.

nooby

#143 Post by nooby »

Ah so typical of me. I usually fail when there is such Control Centers.
I get totally confused when there is many possible things to click on :)

Thanks!

gcmartin

#144 Post by gcmartin »

nooby wrote:Ah so typical of me. I usually fail when there is such Control Centers.
I get totally confused when there is many possible things to click on :)

Thanks!
Nooby is exhibiting the items I have shared with Kirk for several years. FD does not lend itself to user system startup unless you are a seasoned Linux user. I do recognize the effort they have exhibited in the Control Panel, though. But, the Control Panel, as useful as it is, is a lot of little individual apps across several tabs that creates the need that is exhibited in the post.

BarryK's latest incarnation of FirstRUN-Qucikset does a wonderful job of a startup to address these little simple things at system initial start. And, it does the major startup things in a single intuitive screen.

Maybe in a future ISO release this technology might surface. It would be useful if it was the very first thing we see on its very first boot.

@Kirk, if you haven't seen this, please look at it and I think you will understand how helpful it will be to this community overall. He and Shinobar did an incredible job in this area and have been instrumental in moving the Puppy community from an unforgiving text startup system to a system where inital tailoring is now intuitive upon desktop arrival. Please look.

Here to help

timothyli

unused disk space

#145 Post by timothyli »

I love fatdog64, but I could not find a way to display how much disk space I have left in my drives except to open a terminal and type the df command.

In regular puppy, pmount shows me that.

Thanks for such a great distro.

My favourite feature is the ability to boot the iso directly from grub.

title fatdog64
kernel /memdisk iso
initrd /Fatdog64-600-firefox.iso

smokey01

#146 Post by smokey01 »

try typing partview from a terminal window.

/usr/sbin/partview

timothyli

show disk space available

#147 Post by timothyli »

Thanks, partview also works. But it still requires a console command, It runs slower and requires more keystrokes than df.

It would be nice to have the unused space shown by just hovering the cursor over the drive icon without the need to click anything or execute a command.

Currently, alt-text shows the drive size and format (e.g. 115GB ntfs) when you hover the cursor over the drive icon. I wonder how much more difficult it is to show unused space as well.

rcrsn51

#148 Post by rcrsn51 »

@timothyli: Here is something to try. It's more informative than partview, but it still may not be as convenient as you would like.

It only shows mounted partitions. The installer puts a menu entry in Utility.

[Edit] Here is a version that runs out of the tray.

[Edit-Edit] Version 1.2 also lists the savefile.
Attachments
disk_space_fd600-1.2.pet
(4.51 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:58, edited 8 times in total.

nooby

#149 Post by nooby »

The following is not a criticism only me
trying to understand the difference in
reading of CPU temperature on different OS.

1. I am in Lupu 528-005 and have CPUTemp
and it says about 48 Celsius in the morning when
I start and end up around 51C after heavy usage.

2. Rebooting into Fatdog64-600 Final (July 2012) using
same CPUTemp says the temperature is 52C and rising and
after some minutes usage it where 54 C and rising. Fan running
but not able to make it go down to 51 where Lupu is.

So sure I should start in the morning with Fatdog64-600 Final (July 2012)
instead to see where it starts and that way the comparing will be more fair.

What I am curious about is this.

I had not activated Noscipt on Murga Puppy forum and had opened
maybe three or four tabs so the guy in the upper right corner may have
caused the rising temperature.

Or one need to tell Fatdog64-600 Final (July 2012) that I have a Atom CPU
and that it is not multi core in case Fatdog64-600 Final (July 2012) try to
activate such all the time and that that makes the CPU temp go up?

Any suggestion why 64 bit OS on a 64 bit machine would rise the temp?

oops I have an Acer D255 with N450 Single core CPU I looked it up
It is Single core

jamesbond

Re: show disk space available

#150 Post by jamesbond »

timothyli wrote:Currently, alt-text shows the drive size and format (e.g. 115GB ntfs) when you hover the cursor over the drive icon. I wonder how much more difficult it is to show unused space as well.
It is not much more difficult but it is much more slower. Even showing the volume label is slow (and there is an option to turn it off), showing free disk space is even slower, and the tooltip isn't dynamic - once created it can never be updated. Not that I know of anyway. But I'll see what I can do.

smokey01

#151 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 I love your disk_space it's a great little app.

I like it running out of the try but not the lack of graphic representation unless you click the graph icon, a bit messy. With your first version I increased the amount of graphical representations to 10, perfect.

Also it would be nice if the tray icon was a toggle. One click to maximise, the next to minimise, not open a second instance.

Thanks

rcrsn51

#152 Post by rcrsn51 »

smokey01 wrote: With your first version I increased the amount of graphical representations to 10, perfect.
Here is the problem on my machine. If the number of bar graphs displayed is more than 3, gtkdialog throws errors about "threads". Since you successfully bumped it up to 10, it must be hardware dependent. But if I run disk-space on the same machine in Quirky, I can show lots of graphs.

That's why v1.1 only displays one graph at a time. Otherwise the program is flaky. And it takes up less screen space.
Also it would be nice if the tray icon was a toggle. One click to maximise, the next to minimise, not open a second instance.
So clicking on Quit is too much effort for you? :wink: Also, that's beyond my ability to write tray applets.

Jim1911

#153 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@timothyli: Here is something to try. It's more informative than partview, but it still may not be as convenient as you would like.

It only shows mounted partitions. The installer puts a menu entry in Utility.

[Edit] Here is a version that runs out of the tray.

[Edit-Edit] Version 1.2 also lists the savefile.
Thanks, nice touch to include savefile.

smokey01

#154 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 wrote:So clicking on Quit is too much effort for you? :wink: Also, that's beyond my ability to write tray applets.
Not at all. It's just a nice touch. Jamesbond did it for Psip which is very useful. Maybe he will chime in and provide the solution. It's a great little script.

Thanks again.

timothyli

disk space info

#155 Post by timothyli »

Thanks everyone. Your drive-space applet works great, rcrsn51.
I also renamed pmount to pmount-new and sym-linked pmount-old to pmount. Pmount-old shows free space and is a bit easier to use (just one click to mount/umount). For me, the new pmount is harder to use because it requires at least 2 clicks. It is somewhat a brain teaser because your eyes need to look at a list of drives, click to select the one your want, then look at the mount check box to see whether it is mounted, and based on that, click the appropriate mount/unmount button - a lot of information to process for the brain.