Fatdog64-600 Final and 601 (July 2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

#151 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 I love your disk_space it's a great little app.

I like it running out of the try but not the lack of graphic representation unless you click the graph icon, a bit messy. With your first version I increased the amount of graphical representations to 10, perfect.

Also it would be nice if the tray icon was a toggle. One click to maximise, the next to minimise, not open a second instance.

Thanks

rcrsn51

#152 Post by rcrsn51 »

smokey01 wrote: With your first version I increased the amount of graphical representations to 10, perfect.
Here is the problem on my machine. If the number of bar graphs displayed is more than 3, gtkdialog throws errors about "threads". Since you successfully bumped it up to 10, it must be hardware dependent. But if I run disk-space on the same machine in Quirky, I can show lots of graphs.

That's why v1.1 only displays one graph at a time. Otherwise the program is flaky. And it takes up less screen space.
Also it would be nice if the tray icon was a toggle. One click to maximise, the next to minimise, not open a second instance.
So clicking on Quit is too much effort for you? :wink: Also, that's beyond my ability to write tray applets.

Jim1911

#153 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@timothyli: Here is something to try. It's more informative than partview, but it still may not be as convenient as you would like.

It only shows mounted partitions. The installer puts a menu entry in Utility.

[Edit] Here is a version that runs out of the tray.

[Edit-Edit] Version 1.2 also lists the savefile.
Thanks, nice touch to include savefile.

smokey01

#154 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 wrote:So clicking on Quit is too much effort for you? :wink: Also, that's beyond my ability to write tray applets.
Not at all. It's just a nice touch. Jamesbond did it for Psip which is very useful. Maybe he will chime in and provide the solution. It's a great little script.

Thanks again.

timothyli

disk space info

#155 Post by timothyli »

Thanks everyone. Your drive-space applet works great, rcrsn51.
I also renamed pmount to pmount-new and sym-linked pmount-old to pmount. Pmount-old shows free space and is a bit easier to use (just one click to mount/umount). For me, the new pmount is harder to use because it requires at least 2 clicks. It is somewhat a brain teaser because your eyes need to look at a list of drives, click to select the one your want, then look at the mount check box to see whether it is mounted, and based on that, click the appropriate mount/unmount button - a lot of information to process for the brain.

duke93535

lxpanel menu

#156 Post by duke93535 »

What configures the lxpanel main menu, the directory entries above the Control Panel entry in Fatdog?

I know that the Control Panel entry and below are configured at /root/.config/lxpanel/default/panels/panel.

I have looked at /etc/xdg and /usr/share/desktop-directories, I just can’t find or figure it out. If I were using JWM no problem, but with lxpanel I am lost on this. I can live with the way it is, but just wondering. I normally separate the system applications and the regular apps, similar to Puppy and arrange them alphabetical in two sections.

kirk

#157 Post by kirk »

duke93535,

Lxpanel has been patched to scan /usr/share/applications and make it's menu.

duke93535

#158 Post by duke93535 »

I was talking about the configuration for the category directory items above Control Panel, not the build of the menu from /usr/share/applications/*.desktop(s).

So, I guess there is none that are normally configurable.

thanks, ok duke

jamesbond

#159 Post by jamesbond »

duke93535 wrote:So, I guess there is none that are normally configurable.
Correct. You can also try the updated lxpanel 0.5.9 from the package manager (courtesy of WillM), that version may be more configurable.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

duke93535

#160 Post by duke93535 »

Gee, upgrading to lxpanel 0.5.9 was great for me. I had given up on autohide before and the menus are just right for me. all I had to do is symlink a few icons to /usr/share/pixmaps and it was good to go. Thanks to WillM.

Thank you for the tip, jamesbond

capicoso

#161 Post by capicoso »

Guys, how did you do the volume bar? I mean the green volume bar that appears when i use my multimedia keys for volume+/-/mute. There are some programs that i couldn't compile on Fatdog so i also use Precise Puppy, and i'd like to have that bar on precise. Thanks

kirk

#162 Post by kirk »

capicoso,

That's Sven that does that. Sven is in the tray next to Wpa_gui.

jamesbond

#163 Post by jamesbond »

Fatdog64 601 is released. Please see first post.
Full-install is still not supported but if you really need it please check http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79819.
It's hibernation time now 8)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Sage

#164 Post by Sage »

Nice one, jb, thanks.
But you can't slope off yet - get the matchsticks ready to watch Adam Scott whoop the world....

gnomic

#165 Post by gnomic »

Fatdog64 600 firefox edition here. Running a Toshiba Satellite Pro S300 with Intel 5100 wifi. Alas it seems impossible to connect to a WPA2 access point. Appears the firmware is not being loaded. By the way is wpa_gui really up to the job? Have never found it of much use. Wicd by contrast usually seems to 'just work'. Likewise SNS etc.

Various other puppies and porteus 64bit editions can connect with this hardware. Haven't followed fatdog development blow by blow, is there a known problem here?

smokey01

#166 Post by smokey01 »

Jamesbond I have just discovered that cpio does not work well in FadDog64-600.

I have compiled a new one that can be downloaded here:

http://www.smokey01.com/software/utility/cpio2

You will need to make it executable and copy it to /bin

I discovered this when making graphical boot menus.

Cheers

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600 Final and 601 (July 2012)

#167 Post by Billtoo »

I burned the fatdog64-601 iso to a dvd and then installed it to a 4 gb
flash drive.
It's working well.

I made a pet of Links web browser version 2.7, the newest at this time.
Attachments
links-2.7.jpg
(21.68 KiB) Downloaded 1191 times

Sage

#168 Post by Sage »

Sorry guys, but at least we kept it in the Commonwealth.

Jim1911

#169 Post by Jim1911 »

New frugal installation of Fatdog64-601. Using an existing save file, I first uninstalled the NVIDIA driver, then copied the save file to the new installation. It booted fine and the new NIVDIA driver works fine.

Everything appeared to be working fine so I did a remaster which seemed to remaster properly, however, it would not boot. The problem was that the remaster.iso did not contain the vmlinuz file. When I copied that over, the remaster appears to work fine. Also, note that the base sfs file is 600 rather than 601 in the initrd file.

Thanks for the 601 update.

kirk

#170 Post by kirk »

I uploaded a pet package of Grub-legacy-.0.97 in case you have problems with Grub4dos. It's the same one that was in 521. It will work with ext2/ext3/ext4.

Running a Toshiba Satellite Pro S300 with Intel 5100 wifi. Alas it seems impossible to connect to a WPA2 access point. Appears the firmware is not being loaded.
I thought the 5100 firmware was in there, you can try downloading the current firmware snapshot from here:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/g ... rmware.git

Wicd depends on python, not really an option.