Fatdog64-600 Final and 601 (July 2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#271 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sage wrote:FD64 contains the driver for a Cohiba/aka you-name-it/ ...and Netgear wg111
As usual, your first step is to run "lsusb" and determine the vendor:product ID codes for this device.

Then run "dmesg | grep firmware"

Does this device work in 32-bit Puppies?
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 17:24, edited 2 times in total.

Roy

#272 Post by Roy »

irishrm & rcrsn51,

That worked great! Thank you very much!

I am setting up this laptop for a friend (read: New Puppy Convert) and she really likes the speed of it. Says she doesn't really want Windows any more.....

One other non-pressing issue is that she wanted a program to view and capture images with her webcam.... rcrsn51's gucview filled the bill nicely!

But the default jpeg images from that program are not supported by fotoxx image viewer, so I had to change gucview's default to png for it to work.

I want to thank everyone concerned with this version -- and the Puppy community as a whole -- for the thoughtfulness and hard work involved in bringing these things to the masses.

-Roy

Bill_Gates

#273 Post by Bill_Gates »

smokey01 wrote: Try this: http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... 4-0.79.pet

I haven't really tested it but it worked when I clicked on the binary.

Cheers.
Thank You smokey01, that worked like a charm!
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

irishrm

#274 Post by irishrm »

Update on USB install:

I'm running fatdog64-600 on a usb install with the USB being regarded as a hard-drive. (see earlier posts)

While experimenting I discovered that If I place the savefile on the hard-drive It is recognized at boot.

If I have a savefile on the USB and on the hard-drive they are both recognized and I am given the option of which savefile to load.

So now I'm booting from the USB with the savefile being loaded from the hard-drive.

This means that there is no worries about USB failure and I have a very fast boot and shut-down time.

I have tried to replicate this with other puppies, using various commands I googled from the forum, but with no success.
If anyone can tell me how this can be done I would love to know.

irishrm.

Sage

#275 Post by Sage »

Many thanks, rcrsn51, for leaping to the rescue again!
As usual, your first step is to run "lsusb"
- done that, it's recognised, but presume 64bit kernel has the p54 (Prism54) in common?
Does this device work in 32-bit Puppies?
Yes! I did actually report that somewhere within the last month?
My enquiry really relates to 64bit issues (I think!). Loads of good stuff on this device on LinuxQuestions.org (not all of which I understand and some that refers to Wdoze which I completely abandoned half a decade back).
It seems to be listed for WEP/WPA-PSK but I have my router configured for WPA2+ only. Doesn't affect 32bit operation in Puppy when WPA2+ is selected.

rcrsn51

#276 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Sage:

1. What are the [vendor:product] ID codes? I need more than "Cohiba/aka you-name-it/ ...and Netgear wg111"

2. Is the p54usb module getting loaded?

3. What does the command "dmesg | grep firmware" report?

4. In what Puppy version is the device confirmed to work?

5. What exactly is its problem in Fatdog? It never connects? It drops out?

6. Please explain this comment from your first post.
. Whatever, cannot get this dongle to run in Mint,

Sage

#277 Post by Sage »

Thanks again, rcrsn51 - working on some other vital issues, but will definitely reply in more detail next week. Sorry for break in thread.

smokey01

#278 Post by smokey01 »

I've been looking for a really good search application for some time and last night I discovered recoll.

It's a bit big at 2.8M, needs qt4 but wow it's fast and impressive.

I found documents last night I have been looking for for ages. It can take a little while to build the index, which also takes up some disk space but locating files is instantaneous. You could symlink the database outside of the save file, I guess.

For me, this ones a keeper.

http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... 1.17.3.pet
Attachments
recoll.jpg
(62.03 KiB) Downloaded 990 times

joe0855

wpa_gui vs Network Wizard

#279 Post by joe0855 »

Hello, I've been running Fatdog64-601 off my thumbdrive for about 1 week (still offloading stuff from my 521 build).

I noticed that with wpa_gui, if I close out of my browser, the LAN connection drops off. When I open the browser it re-establishes the connection. It also seems that if I'm on a webpage for a particularly long time, the connection drops and then re-connects when I click on the 'back' arrow or go to a different website.

With Network Wizard (I shut down wpa_gui), the connection seems consistently on (which is good). I'm inclined to use Network Wizard, however I noticed new issue when I use Netword Wizard, my localhost Xampp webserver hangs and never loads the page. When I switch back to wpa_gui, the localhost webpage loads right up.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5216 laptop. Fatdog sees my wireless NIC as an 'Realtek rtl8192ce'. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I'm using XAMPP for Linux 1.8.1 found at:
http://www.apachefriends.org/download.p ... 8.1.tar.gz

kirk

#280 Post by kirk »

I'm inclined to use Network Wizard, however I noticed new issue when I use Netword Wizard, my localhost Xampp webserver hangs and never loads the page. When I switch back to wpa_gui, the localhost webpage loads right up.
That's a bug, when you quit or don't use the wpa_gui, the local loop-back is not setup. That will be fixed in the next release. I've attached a pet to fix that. I don't have any helpful ideas about the other problem.
Attachments
wpa_gui-fix.pet
Fix for loop-back device.
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 737 times

Gobbi

#281 Post by Gobbi »

I know many of you will smile :) on this one , but I have a version quite FAT :oops: , with VirtualBox , JDK, Catalyst , manpages and other pets on it .
I was wondering if there would be possible booting from a blueray disc , using Pburn to write it .
My DVD disc ( 8x )takes more than 1 minute to boot , so since I got the drive I thought I could use this way to make it boot quicker.

I'm using Fatdog64 LiveDisc with no savefile and often no hard disk attached . It's fast , reliable and sometimes has tools which are hardly free in other platforms.

Thank you guys for continuing to develop this very useful project :!:

joe0855

#282 Post by joe0855 »

That's a bug, when you quit or don't use the wpa_gui, the local loop-back is not setup. That will be fixed in the next release. I've attached a pet to fix that. I don't have any helpful ideas about the other problem.
Thanks Kirk, it seemed to have done the trick! Since Xampp localhost comes up fine with wpa_gui enabled, it's a non-issue at this point. Cheers!

smokey01

#283 Post by smokey01 »

Yet Another Dialog (YAD) for Fatdog64.

http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... x86_64.pet

For those of you who have never tried it, it great.

http://code.google.com/p/yad/

gcmartin

#284 Post by gcmartin »

smokey01 wrote:I've been looking for a really good search application for some time and last night I discovered recoll ....
Great Smokey01. Everyone of us can benefit.

There's another solution that you may also find, not only for search, but also for many-many other things which you and most of us do, commonly. This can all be done in one desktop screen.

Pemasu created the one I use and JamesBond also found another similar tool.

IT is a dual screen FM that very few (excepting Windows admins) are aware of muCommander and emelFM2. They can be found here

Since muCommander is a Java app, its a no-brainer to run, but, the PET will install a Menu path for you. Easy to use, Fast, Stable, Fully Featured, for most admins and users!

The apparent beauty is that its all built into the single package and not just a bunch of single snippets. The integration is all present, on screen, in front of you.

I hope you can review. You might be surprised and I'm sure you'll understand.

here to help.

alexei

#285 Post by alexei »

1st of all, to me Fatdog64 is the best Linux distro.
I set it up on Foxconn NT-A3500 Nettop (AMD E350 Dual-Core 1.6GHz).
It boots and runs fast (from SSD drive).

Problems/bugs:
- After installation of ATI catalist screen resolution went out of range.
- After installation of the LXpanel "Add to Desktop" does not work.
- It's not possible to get only IP from DHCP server and specify DNS IP manually.
- Max screen DPI is limited to 108.
- No GUI to set WatCom tablet, though it somehow works anyway.

Requests for improvements:
- Better description of pets - currently we can see short info and only as a tooltip.
- Click on desktop background should unshade currently shaded icon(s).
- Click on desktop background should close "start"-menu.
- Help on boot options should be visible at startup (I don't have it after HDD installation).
- HDD installation - copy existing savefile and prompt for boot options.
- I had to install Grub4Dos to specify boot options.
(particularly savefile=direct:device:sda1)
- Choice of single/double click mode should be available at R-click menu on the desktop.
- In the new releases, please verify that it is possible to disable IPV6, especially for the wireless.
- Sound card selection - add "test" option.
- "Windows"-btn should open "start"-menu.
- Click on CPU usage in the toolbar should open Task Manager
- Installation should ask if Wifi autoconnect is OK.
- More cursor themes - currently I don't see that app is starting.

Requests for new Pets:
- VMware integration drivers - just to make it easy to try/test.
- TuxCommander - in my opinion it's the best dual-panel file manager for Linux. BTW, it has advanced search.
http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.net/description.php
Executable for Debian works right out of the box, no libraries needed.
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=tuxcmd

Questions:
- How to add items (applications, control panel items) to Desktop, how to remove?
- I see appname.desktop files under /usr and /.usr, can I use them to create Desktop items?
- How to create a pet out of existing (debian) package?
- Which directories would survive FatDog update, and which go to a savefile?

Sage

#286 Post by Sage »

1. What are the [vendor:product] ID codes? I need more than "Cohiba/aka you-name-it/ ...and Netgear wg111"
The item I possess is badged Inventel. It has the Intersil ISL3887 aka Netgear wg111 aka Prism054g chip. Also badged Cohiba 3887 rev0 and (OEM) Wiston NeWeb UR054g. It has a terrible track record on the InterWeb, but it does work entirely satisfactorily in some distros, notably PCLOS 2012-02 Phoenix Xfce and sometimes, some Puppies (can't remember which at this stage - too much water under the bridge.)

2. Is the p54usb module getting loaded?
Invariably: Yes, but might be a few exception as with all systems/SW

3. What does the command "dmesg | grep firmware" report?
Will report later.

4. In what Puppy version is the device confirmed to work?
see above. Sometimes it will light up, connect but not function - there are other reports, other systems, other distros reporting this on the InterWeb.

5. What exactly is its problem in Fatdog? It never connects? It drops out?
Will confirm next week when fully back to testing.

6. Please explain this comment from your first post.
One of the distros I run permanently is Linux Mint Xfce 64 bit - dongle doesn't fire up on this system.
Later: Tried on P4/3.4G/1Mb/ liveCD - managed to connect during liveCD session. Will clear the bench tomorrow and go back & look at some of the older machines again. This result is pointing to a HW issue although Mint is usually reliable, but not this time. Suggesting that Web claims that the ISL3887 chip isn't 64bit compatible are incorrect and smokey/kirk have got it right. Well done guys!

Gobbi

#287 Post by Gobbi »

kirk , thank's for the wpa_gui-fix.pet

Now wpa_gui works also for me :!: :D

jamesbond

#288 Post by jamesbond »

alexei wrote:- After installation of ATI catalist screen resolution went out of range.
If your laptop is too new then you just have to wait until AMD releases better Catalyst driver. Does the standard radeon driver work for you?
- After installation of the LXpanel "Add to Desktop" does not work.
I don't understand what you mean.
- It's not possible to get only IP from DHCP server and specify DNS IP manually.
It is possible but there is no GUI for that. You have to edit some stuff from /libexec/dhcp-run-hooks.
- Max screen DPI is limited to 108.
Edit .Xresources in your home directory. You can put any dpi value you wish.
- No GUI to set WatCom tablet, though it somehow works anyway.
Yup. In my experience you only need GUI for tablets (ie, for calibration). For anything else, you can use "xsetwacom" or "xinput".
- Better description of pets - currently we can see short info and only as a tooltip.
What do you have in mind?
- Click on desktop background should unshade currently shaded icon(s).
This is controlled by openbox. If you can find how to make openbox behaves that way, let me know. (Not that I'm going to do it by default, but we can probably make it as a pet).
- Click on desktop background should close "start"-menu.
It does.
- Help on boot options should be visible at startup (I don't have it after HDD installation).
It is always there. Point your browser to /usr/share/doc/home.html.
- HDD installation - copy existing savefile and prompt for boot options.
???
- I had to install Grub4Dos to specify boot options.
(particularly savefile=direct:device:sda1)
That's why they are called "boot options". You need to specify them from your boot-loader, whatever your choice of boot loader is.
- Choice of single/double click mode should be available at R-click menu on the desktop.
Unfortunately that's not how Rox works.
- In the new releases, please verify that it is possible to disable IPV6, especially for the wireless.
IPv6 is disabled by default. You need to explicitly load "ipv6" module to enable it.
- Sound card selection - add "test" option.
Yes, nice to have.
- "Windows"-btn should open "start"-menu.
Alt-F1 opens "Start" menu. You can change the key to anything else by editing /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml (if you are running as root).
- Click on CPU usage in the toolbar should open Task Manager
Yes, nice to have, but probably won't happen unless someone re-writes the CPU usage applet.
- Installation should ask if Wifi autoconnect is OK.
You won't be connected to wifi anyway if you don't have the password.
- More cursor themes - currently I don't see that app is starting.
Nothing to do with the cursor themes, more to do with the application itself.
- VMware integration drivers - just to make it easy to try/test.
We cannot redistribute commercial software.
- TuxCommander - in my opinion it's the best dual-panel file manager for Linux. BTW, it has advanced search. http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.net/description.php
Executable for Debian works right out of the box, no libraries needed.
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=tuxcmd
Yes, nice to have. Perhaps we should just repackage it as a pet.
- How to add items (applications, control panel items) to Desktop, how to remove?
All you see in Desktop is "shortcut". You can see all the applications in /usr/share/applications. Drag and drop from there to desktop. You can also drag-and-drop any files / document / folders to the desktop, they will be created as shortcuts to the corresponding files/document/folders.
To remove, right-click and then choose "remove item".
- I see appname.desktop files under /usr and /.usr, can I use them to create Desktop items?
No.
- How to create a pet out of existing (debian) package?
Plenty of information in this forum and the wiki, I will not repeat it here again. Please search for it.
- Which directories would survive FatDog update, and which go to a savefile?
Depends on how you run Fatdog and how you perform the update. Generally speaking, Fatdog does not delete anything.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

nooby

#289 Post by nooby »

What can this error message be about?
I tried to activate the FatDog PPM and
it shows this message

I wanted to install the Pup-Advert-Blocker
that Stu91 recommended it is usually
available on Puppy? I have never used it before
but wanted to try it on his recommendation.

any suggestion what to do. I never reached PPM

I have a rather late FD 64 600

on a Acer Netbook D255 Frugal install on NTFS.
Attachments
gtk error.jpg
(89.83 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

slackfan

very urgent warning against Fatdog 600

#290 Post by slackfan »

very urgent warning against Fatdog 600

I did loose 10 minutes before 32 GByte important personal data because of the totaly silly dilly names of the drives and partitions in Fatdog 64.

fatdog does NOT FOLLOW the Puppy linux usages in this matter :idea: or creating the save file!

you can't save you dates as usual! it is very very very dangerous for your work:

Fatdog renames export and destinations partitions or USB so, that you can't not recognize them any more!!!!

it is non sens pure!