Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 06:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-600 Final and 601 (July 2012)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 6 of 23 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2012, 13:55    Post_subject:  

mini-jaguar wrote:
Also, is there an easy way to make a bootable USB stick with FatDog64 600 on it?

Note: These instructions also apply to installing FD600 on a hard drive partition.

1. Boot off the Live CD.

2. Plug in the flash drive.

3. From the Control Panel > Utilities, run the Fatdog64 Installer. Skip Step 2. At Step 3, install from the CD/DVD.

4. Run Control Panel > Utilities > Grub4Dos Bootloader Config. This will make the stick bootable. Make sure that you select the stick as the target device and NOT your main hard drive.

5. If you look at the new menu.lst file, you will see that Grub4Dos still uses the old Puppy boot codes that don't apply to FD. But that's OK for now.

6. Start to reboot. FD will create a savefile. Make sure that you select the flash drive as the destination.

7. Boot off the flash drive. Even though the boot codes are wrong, FD should still find your save file.

8. You will probably want to clean up the old boot codes. Or if you have put your savefile in a subfolder, you will definitely need to fix the codes.

a. Run Control Panel > Utilities > Savefile Argument Builder. (It's hiding on the bottom row.)
b. Follow the instructions to update your menu.lst.

9. While you have your menu.lst open, make a duplicate of your Fatdog entry. You can use it to resize or clean up your savefile.

a. Change the "title" line to "Fatdog600 Safe Mode".
b. Change the savefile argument to "savefile=none".

Edited_times_total
Jim1911

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2012, 13:56    Post_subject:  

mini-jaguar wrote:
question: is it normal that the package manager doesn't show all the installed packages? I don't have a problem with anything I installed and don't need to uninstall anything, but it just seems strange to me. It was the same in the alpha and beta versions too, but I didn't ask.

Also, is there an easy way to make a bootable USB stick with FatDog64 600 on it?
If you have highlighted "Install Packages", it shows available packages and the version that you have installed. When "Installed Packages" is highlighted, all packages installed are shown.
image-3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   33.16 KB
 Viewed   899 Time(s)

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   32.86 KB
 Viewed   930 Time(s)

image-4.jpg

nooby

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2012, 17:20    Post_subject:  

The forum doesn't seem to send out all the posts so I missed the answer to
RuffBoy about the USB thing so just in case here is link
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=639548#639548
rcrsn51 gave answer here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=639786#639786

Much appreciated

jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 08:11    Post_subject:  

Kirk is out of town and I'm currently busy too, so replies will be slow and far between ... please be patient Smile
rcrsn51, thanks for holding the fort Smile

smokey01 wrote:
I installed the get_libreoffice package from the repo then ran it. It downloaded libreoffice and created the SFS which I loaded and this is the result. It's version 3.5.4.2
Hmmm, have you tried the libreoffice available in the SFSmanager? Does it have the same problem? Just want to establish whether the script is the problem or something else.

ICPUG wrote:
s the FAQ within the iso or is it only on the servers? If the latter is there a possibility of getting a package with all the pages so it can be viewed offline?
It is in the Fatdog ISO as well. What you see in the web is a copy of /usr/share/doc/faqs

Jim1911 wrote:
If you have highlighted "Install Packages", it shows available packages and the version that you have installed. When "Installed Packages" is highlighted, all packages installed are shown.
Yes, that's the way. I was probably dreaming when I was coding the package manager. I will change the name of first tab as "Available Packages" Embarassed so that it is cleary different from "Installed Packages".

Jim1911 wrote:
Attempting to resize my save file and I get this message. The savefile is working fine.
Sorry for the late reply. That's odd indeed, I'm assuming you actually have an ext4 savefile and created it normally during first shutdown. Do you still have that troublesome savefile? Do you mind opening terminal (when booting with pfix=ram) and do the following:
Code:
guess_fstype /path/to/savefile
and also
Code:
disktype /path/to/savefile

irishrm

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:47    Post_subject: How to re-size save-file in fatdog 600  

I know nooby asked this earlier but I can't find a reply.

Sorry if I missed it.

Otherwise everything going great.

irishrm.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 13:02    Post_subject:  

Quote:
How to re-size save-file in fatdog 600

Control Panel > System > Fatdog64 Savefile Tool
mini-jaguar

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 13:10    Post_subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:
question: is it normal that the package manager doesn't show all the installed packages? I don't have a problem with anything I installed and don't need to uninstall anything, but it just seems strange to me. It was the same in the alpha and beta versions too, but I didn't ask.

No, it does not show all the packages installed, I installed at least 3 .pet files, they all work and show up in the menus, but only one shows up in the package manager as installed. I had the same problem in the alpha and beta versions, and now in the final version.

If you want a concrete example, Audacity and Tuxkart are both installed and function, but Tuxkart does not show up in the manager.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 13:23    Post_subject:  

mini-jaguar wrote:
If you want a concrete example, Audacity and Tuxkart are both installed and function, but Tuxkart does not show up in the manager.

I just installed Tuxkart and checked in the Package Manager. Tuxkart WAS there. You may have to click the little triangle icon to see it.
mini-jaguar

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 13:29    Post_subject:  

Actually I figured out the problem, it's that they were not installed with the package manager, although in other Puppies all installed packages show up.

But maybe not, which little triangle do you mean?
Jim1911

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 14:10    Post_subject:  

[quote="mini-jaguar"]Actually I figured out the problem, it's that they were not installed with the package manager, although in other Puppies all installed packages show up.

But maybe not, which little triangle do you m
0ean?[/]

All installed packages show up. In my earlier post, at least two installed programs shown were not installed by package manager.
irishrm

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 14:29    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51:

Thanks for replying.

I had tried that before but having to boot with filesave=none threw me off I'm afraid.

Your reply told me I needed to get the old brain cells working a bit better.

This method makes the operation a little bit more difficult than the old way of doing it.
In my case having to navigate without a properly configured touch-pad was a little bit of an inconvenience.
However it was nothing more than that and I'm certainly not complaining.

I'm delighted with the way fatdog is working for me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

irishrm.
Jim1911

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 15:53    Post_subject:  

jamesbond wrote:

Jim1911 wrote:
Attempting to resize my save file and I get this message. The savefile is working fine.
Sorry for the late reply. That's odd indeed, I'm assuming you actually have an ext4 savefile and created it normally during first shutdown. Do you still have that troublesome savefile? Do you mind opening terminal (when booting with pfix=ram) and do the following:
Code:
guess_fstype /path/to/savefile
and also
Code:
disktype /path/to/savefile

I had already deleted that save file although I have the same problem on two other save files on different ext4 partitions, sda2 and sdb2. Sda2 was formatted using FD64-600's version of gparted. Both save files are working properly.

Code:
# guess_fstype /mnt/sda2/fatdog64-600F/fd64save.ext4
unknown
# guess_fstype /mnt/sdb5/fatdog64-600/fd64save.ext4
unknown
# disktype  /mnt/sdb5/fatdog64-600/fd64save.ext4

--- /mnt/sdb5/fatdog64-600/fd64save.ext4
Regular file, size 2.453 GiB (2634022912 bytes)
Ext4 file system
  UUID FFBB600F-E6DF-4B4D-9B13-183532C5F872 (DCE, v4)
  Last mounted at “/aufs/pup_save”
  Volume size 2.453 GiB (2634022912 bytes, 643072 blocks of 4 KiB)

# disktype  /mnt/sda2/fatdog64-600F/fd64save.ext4

--- /mnt/sda2/fatdog64-600F/fd64save.ext4
Regular file, size 2 GiB (2147483648 bytes)
Ext4 file system
  UUID EDF91973-A93B-498E-A951-597F1F56AB57 (DCE, v4)
  Last mounted at “/aufs/pup_save”
  Volume size 2 GiB (2147483648 bytes, 524288 blocks of 4 KiB)

Hope this helps.
smokey01

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 16:16    Post_subject:  

jamesbond wrote:

smokey01 wrote:
I installed the get_libreoffice package from the repo then ran it. It downloaded libreoffice and created the SFS which I loaded and this is the result. It's version 3.5.4.2
Hmmm, have you tried the libreoffice available in the SFSmanager? Does it have the same problem? Just want to establish whether the script is the problem or something else.[/code]

It appears the problem may have been caused by the 23oz theme. Once removed all worked fine.

Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 18:21    Post_subject: Fatdog64-600 Final (July 2012)  

Another day another fatdog install. Smile

I made a fatdog600 final remaster, installed it to an 8gb flash drive with a
2gb savefile.
Using jwm + wbar.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   77.21 KB
 Viewed   634 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

kickstart

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul 2012, 19:56    Post_subject:  

I have managed to persuade Fatdog to run on my desktop computer but as with other Puppy versions it doesn't pick up the raid0 array. Coincidentally I discovered that a version of the dmraid pet was uploaded to the nluug Fatdog repository earlier today which I have downloaded and installed. However the dm-mod kernel module does not load and with my insufficient knowledge I have been unable to see why. Has anyone else tried this pet yet or can anyone give me any clue as to why dm-mod refuses to load? This machine has to run Windows as well (for my better half!) so I am stuck with the requirement to use dmraid as there is a ton of data on the raid array that I need to access. I had no problems making dmraid work in Lucid but I would rather use Fatdog as my main OS.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 6 of 23 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum