Fatdog64-600 Final and 601 (July 2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#76 Post by rcrsn51 »

mini-jaguar wrote:Also, is there an easy way to make a bootable USB stick with FatDog64 600 on it?
Note: These instructions also apply to installing FD600 on a hard drive partition.

1. Boot off the Live CD.

2. Plug in the flash drive.

3. From the Control Panel > Utilities, run the Fatdog64 Installer. Skip Step 2. At Step 3, install from the CD/DVD.

4. Run Control Panel > Utilities > Grub4Dos Bootloader Config. This will make the stick bootable. Make sure that you select the stick as the target device and NOT your main hard drive.

5. If you look at the new menu.lst file, you will see that Grub4Dos still uses the old Puppy boot codes that don't apply to FD. But that's OK for now.

6. Start to reboot. FD will create a savefile. Make sure that you select the flash drive as the destination.

7. Boot off the flash drive. Even though the boot codes are wrong, FD should still find your save file.

8. You will probably want to clean up the old boot codes. Or if you have put your savefile in a subfolder, you will definitely need to fix the codes.

a. Run Control Panel > Utilities > Savefile Argument Builder. (It's hiding on the bottom row.)
b. Follow the instructions to update your menu.lst.

9. While you have your menu.lst open, make a duplicate of your Fatdog entry. You can use it to resize or clean up your savefile.

a. Change the "title" line to "Fatdog600 Safe Mode".
b. Change the savefile argument to "savefile=none".
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 20:08, edited 7 times in total.

Jim1911

#77 Post by Jim1911 »

mini-jaguar wrote:question: is it normal that the package manager doesn't show all the installed packages? I don't have a problem with anything I installed and don't need to uninstall anything, but it just seems strange to me. It was the same in the alpha and beta versions too, but I didn't ask.

Also, is there an easy way to make a bootable USB stick with FatDog64 600 on it?
If you have highlighted "Install Packages", it shows available packages and the version that you have installed. When "Installed Packages" is highlighted, all packages installed are shown.
Attachments
image-3.jpg
(33.16 KiB) Downloaded 956 times
image-4.jpg
(32.86 KiB) Downloaded 984 times

nooby

#78 Post by nooby »

The forum doesn't seem to send out all the posts so I missed the answer to
RuffBoy about the USB thing so just in case here is link
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 548#639548
rcrsn51 gave answer here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 786#639786

Much appreciated
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jamesbond

#79 Post by jamesbond »

Kirk is out of town and I'm currently busy too, so replies will be slow and far between ... please be patient :)
rcrsn51, thanks for holding the fort :)
smokey01 wrote:I installed the get_libreoffice package from the repo then ran it. It downloaded libreoffice and created the SFS which I loaded and this is the result. It's version 3.5.4.2
Hmmm, have you tried the libreoffice available in the SFSmanager? Does it have the same problem? Just want to establish whether the script is the problem or something else.
ICPUG wrote:s the FAQ within the iso or is it only on the servers? If the latter is there a possibility of getting a package with all the pages so it can be viewed offline?
It is in the Fatdog ISO as well. What you see in the web is a copy of /usr/share/doc/faqs
Jim1911 wrote:If you have highlighted "Install Packages", it shows available packages and the version that you have installed. When "Installed Packages" is highlighted, all packages installed are shown.
Yes, that's the way. I was probably dreaming when I was coding the package manager. I will change the name of first tab as "Available Packages" :oops: so that it is cleary different from "Installed Packages".
Jim1911 wrote:Attempting to resize my save file and I get this message. The savefile is working fine.
Sorry for the late reply. That's odd indeed, I'm assuming you actually have an ext4 savefile and created it normally during first shutdown. Do you still have that troublesome savefile? Do you mind opening terminal (when booting with pfix=ram) and do the following:

Code: Select all

guess_fstype /path/to/savefile
and also

disktype /path/to/savefile
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

irishrm

How to re-size save-file in fatdog 600

#80 Post by irishrm »

I know nooby asked this earlier but I can't find a reply.

Sorry if I missed it.

Otherwise everything going great.

irishrm.

rcrsn51

#81 Post by rcrsn51 »

How to re-size save-file in fatdog 600
Control Panel > System > Fatdog64 Savefile Tool

mini-jaguar

#82 Post by mini-jaguar »

Jim1911 wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:question: is it normal that the package manager doesn't show all the installed packages? I don't have a problem with anything I installed and don't need to uninstall anything, but it just seems strange to me. It was the same in the alpha and beta versions too, but I didn't ask.

Also, is there an easy way to make a bootable USB stick with FatDog64 600 on it?
If you have highlighted "Install Packages", it shows available packages and the version that you have installed. When "Installed Packages" is highlighted, all packages installed are shown.
No, it does not show all the packages installed, I installed at least 3 .pet files, they all work and show up in the menus, but only one shows up in the package manager as installed. I had the same problem in the alpha and beta versions, and now in the final version.

If you want a concrete example, Audacity and Tuxkart are both installed and function, but Tuxkart does not show up in the manager.

rcrsn51

#83 Post by rcrsn51 »

mini-jaguar wrote:If you want a concrete example, Audacity and Tuxkart are both installed and function, but Tuxkart does not show up in the manager.
I just installed Tuxkart and checked in the Package Manager. Tuxkart WAS there. You may have to click the little triangle icon to see it.

mini-jaguar

#84 Post by mini-jaguar »

Actually I figured out the problem, it's that they were not installed with the package manager, although in other Puppies all installed packages show up.

But maybe not, which little triangle do you mean?

Jim1911

#85 Post by Jim1911 »

[quote="mini-jaguar"]Actually I figured out the problem, it's that they were not installed with the package manager, although in other Puppies all installed packages show up.

But maybe not, which little triangle do you m
0ean?[/]

All installed packages show up. In my earlier post, at least two installed programs shown were not installed by package manager.

irishrm

#86 Post by irishrm »

rcrsn51:

Thanks for replying.

I had tried that before but having to boot with filesave=none threw me off I'm afraid.

Your reply told me I needed to get the old brain cells working a bit better.

This method makes the operation a little bit more difficult than the old way of doing it.
In my case having to navigate without a properly configured touch-pad was a little bit of an inconvenience.
However it was nothing more than that and I'm certainly not complaining.

I'm delighted with the way fatdog is working for me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

irishrm.

Jim1911

#87 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Attempting to resize my save file and I get this message. The savefile is working fine.
Sorry for the late reply. That's odd indeed, I'm assuming you actually have an ext4 savefile and created it normally during first shutdown. Do you still have that troublesome savefile? Do you mind opening terminal (when booting with pfix=ram) and do the following:

guess_fstype /path/to/savefile
and also

disktype /path/to/savefile
I had already deleted that save file although I have the same problem on two other save files on different ext4 partitions, sda2 and sdb2. Sda2 was formatted using FD64-600's version of gparted. Both save files are working properly.

# guess_fstype /mnt/sda2/fatdog64-600F/fd64save.ext4
unknown
# guess_fstype /mnt/sdb5/fatdog64-600/fd64save.ext4
unknown
# disktype  /mnt/sdb5/fatdog64-600/fd64save.ext4

--- /mnt/sdb5/fatdog64-600/fd64save.ext4
Regular file, size 2.453 GiB (2634022912 bytes)
Ext4 file system
  UUID FFBB600F-E6DF-4B4D-9B13-183532C5F872 (DCE, v4)
  Last mounted at “/aufs/pup_save

smokey01

#88 Post by smokey01 »

jamesbond wrote:
smokey01 wrote:I installed the get_libreoffice package from the repo then ran it. It downloaded libreoffice and created the SFS which I loaded and this is the result. It's version 3.5.4.2
Hmmm, have you tried the libreoffice available in the SFSmanager? Does it have the same problem? Just want to establish whether the script is the problem or something else.[/code]
It appears the problem may have been caused by the 23oz theme. Once removed all worked fine.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600 Final (July 2012)

#89 Post by Billtoo »

Another day another fatdog install. :)

I made a fatdog600 final remaster, installed it to an 8gb flash drive with a
2gb savefile.
Using jwm + wbar.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(77.21 KiB) Downloaded 694 times

kickstart

#90 Post by kickstart »

I have managed to persuade Fatdog to run on my desktop computer but as with other Puppy versions it doesn't pick up the raid0 array. Coincidentally I discovered that a version of the dmraid pet was uploaded to the nluug Fatdog repository earlier today which I have downloaded and installed. However the dm-mod kernel module does not load and with my insufficient knowledge I have been unable to see why. Has anyone else tried this pet yet or can anyone give me any clue as to why dm-mod refuses to load? This machine has to run Windows as well (for my better half!) so I am stuck with the requirement to use dmraid as there is a ton of data on the raid array that I need to access. I had no problems making dmraid work in Lucid but I would rather use Fatdog as my main OS.

James C

#91 Post by James C »

Still running Fatdog64-600 from multi-session DVD with basically no problems. Great job. :)

Яadiøaktive TΣknik

#92 Post by Яadiøaktive TΣknik »

kickstart wrote:I have managed to persuade Fatdog to run on my desktop computer but as with other Puppy versions it doesn't pick up the raid0 array. Coincidentally I discovered that a version of the dmraid pet was uploaded to the nluug Fatdog repository earlier today which I have downloaded and installed. However the dm-mod kernel module does not load and with my insufficient knowledge I have been unable to see why. Has anyone else tried this pet yet or can anyone give me any clue as to why dm-mod refuses to load? This machine has to run Windows as well (for my better half!) so I am stuck with the requirement to use dmraid as there is a ton of data on the raid array that I need to access. I had no problems making dmraid work in Lucid but I would rather use Fatdog as my main OS.
I have used jamesbond's new compile of dmraid [the one now available as a .pet] and it mounts my raid0 without any problems. dmraid reports that it can mount the following controllers / arrays:

asr : Adaptec HostRAID ASR (0,1,10)
ddf1 : SNIA DDF1 (0,1,4,5,linear)
hpt37x : Highpoint HPT37X (S,0,1,10,01)
hpt45x : Highpoint HPT45X (S,0,1,10)
isw : Intel Software RAID (0,1,5,01)
jmicron : JMicron ATARAID (S,0,1)
lsi : LSI Logic MegaRAID (0,1,10)
nvidia : NVidia RAID (S,0,1,10,5)
pdc : Promise FastTrack (S,0,1,10)
sil : Silicon Image(tm) Medley(tm) (0,1,10)
via : VIA Software RAID (S,0,1,10)
dos : DOS partitions on SW RAIDs

This is working with both my RAID controllers. I also have a Silicon Image on I've yet to try. The command which mounts my Intel RAID array is embarrassingly simple:

dmraid -ay 
If that doesn't work for you, then I'd advise mounting the RAID however it worked in other puppy[s]. dmraid should work the same across distros I think? Unless I'm not understanding your problem.
Best Regards,

Яadiøaktive TΣknik Яøøssell
***** Электроника ******

jamesbond

#93 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:Actually I figured out the problem, it's that they were not installed with the package manager, although in other Puppies all installed packages show up.
All installed packages show up. In my earlier post, at least two installed programs shown were not installed by package manager.
Jim1911 is right. You can manually check whether the "missing" packages are registered correctly - just open the file /root/.packages/user-installed-packages. If they are found inside but is not shown by the package manager, then it's a bug, let me know (please send the file to me). If they are not listed in that file to begin with ... well, try to install again and then check the file again, are they inside after that? If still not, let me know which package exactly and I'll try to duplicate that.
Jim1911 wrote:I had already deleted that save file although I have the same problem on two other save files on different ext4 partitions, sda2 and sdb2. Sda2 was formatted using FD64-600's version of gparted. Both save files are working properly.
Thanks Jim. Apparently guess_fstypes is not reliable for checking savefile. I will update the tool to use disktype instead.
smokey01 wrote:It appears the problem may have been caused by the 23oz theme. Once removed all worked fine.
Thanks, that sounds good.
Billtoo wrote:Another day another fatdog install.
You seem to have the knack to find interesting wallpapers :)
James C wrote:Still running Fatdog64-600 from multi-session DVD with basically no problems. Great job.
Thank you :)
kickstart wrote:However the dm-mod kernel module does not load
dm-mod module is built-in to the kernel and is automatically loaded at each boot. You don't need to load that manually. Яadiøaktive TΣknik can probably help you further than I can.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

#94 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote:
Billtoo wrote:Another day another fatdog install.
You seem to have the knack to find interesting wallpapers :)
I find them at:

http://www.desktopnexus.com/

Here's a good one I think.
Attachments
screenshot4.jpg
(83.98 KiB) Downloaded 787 times

mini-jaguar

#95 Post by mini-jaguar »

Wow, I think I know that place and have drunk coffee there several times. Is it in Gambetta?